Starting your own business

McFaul

Quick question for you Stevie- do you know of a company called Causeway Building Register ?

If so, are they legit?

I don't know anything about them but my ex boss may I'll ask him tomorrow. Looking at a few comments on the net they will get you a database, but you won't necessarily get any direct interest. For £800 a year it's a lot for what it is.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, that's what I thought.

They're trying to get me to sign up, but I'm getting in with a couple of the bigger construction companies anyway, so I think I'll fuck them off.

The lad on the phone was a right cockernee wide boy too.

It's when you need questions of this nature answered that you rue the loss of Dean Barber to this forum. If anyone could give advice on such matters, it was he.

I can guess at his advice:

- Cash in hand only

- Always take spare petrol

- Watch out for dogshit

Ffwd 12 months from now…

Employment Tribunal Chairman- " Mr McFaul, I regret to inform you that being a Mackem, Mug, Wrongun or Wallpusher is not sufficient reason to deny our applicants employment. "

Stevie " Fuck off you mug!"

Ffwd 12 months from now…

Employment Tribunal Chairman- " Mr McFaul, I regret to inform you that being a Mackem, Mug, Wrongun or Wallpusher is not sufficient reason to deny our applicants employment. "

Stevie " Fuck off you mug!"

As if any of those four would even get a second interview!

Good luck to you. My hubby started his own business 4 years ago (motorbike garage) and has done well, whilst one or two other garages have closed down in the last couple years. But then he's well known and had a good customer base to start with. Get yourself a good accountant, though we do most of our accounts ourselves now and then send it on to her when everything is organised and she does the rest.

We are about to move into new premises this April. No bigger but this unit is better. Brand new, it will be warmer but the main thing is Hubby can now have his own MOT bay to MOT the bikes himself once again. He has an MOT license but where he is now isnt a seperate unit so he couldnt have a bay there. That will save him loads of hassles and lots of time.

All in all its been worth it, though we probably arent hugely richer, but then being his own boss means far more to him than anything!

Reading this thread I'm slightly envious of those in a position to go ahead with it or who have tried to start their own business, I'm sure it must be scary at times but kudos to those who do it. I think Stevie is ready to go ahead but just wants a bit of encouragement as we all like a bit of moral support now and again. Good luck if you take it on, Stevie. (and I'm not a big fan of employment agencies if you remember).

Reading this thread I'm slightly envious of those in a position to go ahead with it or who have tried to start their own business, I'm sure it must be scary at times but kudos to those who do it. I think Stevie is ready to go ahead but just wants a bit of encouragement as we all like a bit of moral support now and again. Good luck if you take it on, Stevie. (and I'm not a big fan of employment agencies if you remember).

YES! very! In the beginning, we had several shakey moments, but I think we knew it would work and the thing is, not to get too big else it can go tits up!

Good luck Stevie. I'd echo talking to an accountant. Setting up as a ltd will have costs each year (you have to file accounts at Companies House, Corp Tax returns, annual returns etc), but you can take a small tax free salary that you don't pay NIC on either (but still qualify for social security), and then take dividends out of the business at a lower tax rate which are completely free of NIC. The costs of the accounts etc shouldn't be massive from the sounds of it, there are likely to be few transactions or areas that will require a decent accountant to take too long to think about. However (and might be getting a bit ahead of the game here), if you go for it, keep good records of all expenses and income from day 1, 'cos if you give your accountant a bundle of receipts they will charge you a hell of a lot more than if you email them a nice spreadsheet which they don't have to do much to to turn into a set of accounts, as it sounds like TR does.

Also, as JawD said, cash is so so important, particularly when starting out. You sound like you have a fair bit of seed behind you, and I'm guessing most of your expenses would be you, travelling and so on, so shouldn't be too bad, but so many startups fail because they don't keep control over their cash.

Anyway, accountancy geekery over. Got a lot of respect for people who have the balls to go and do it on their own, no way do I feel like I'd be able to do it! Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, should have added, if you are a ltd you will get taxed twice by paying Corporation Tax on the company's profit, and then again personally on any salary or dividends you take, whereas a sole trader will just pay personal tax and NIC on the whole lot. There are more issues inside of that though, which an accountant would be able to go through with you. But its generally better to be a ltd if you are going to be making a reasonable amount of profit.

(I think I might have gone ott on this, but hope it helps a bit)

Edited by Bonamental

Good luck Stevie. I'd echo talking to an accountant. Setting up as a ltd will have costs each year (you have to file accounts at Companies House, Corp Tax returns, annual returns etc), but you can take a small tax free salary that you don't pay NIC on either (but still qualify for social security), and then take dividends out of the business at a lower tax rate which are completely free of NIC. The costs of the accounts etc shouldn't be massive from the sounds of it, there are likely to be few transactions or areas that will require a decent accountant to take too long to think about. However (and might be getting a bit ahead of the game here), if you go for it, keep good records of all expenses and income from day 1, 'cos if you give your accountant a bundle of receipts they will charge you a hell of a lot more than if you email them a nice spreadsheet which they don't have to do much to to turn into a set of accounts, as it sounds like TR does.

Also, as JawD said, cash is so so important, particularly when starting out. You sound like you have a fair bit of seed behind you, and I'm guessing most of your expenses would be you, travelling and so on, so shouldn't be too bad, but so many startups fail because they don't keep control over their cash.

Anyway, accountancy geekery over. Got a lot of respect for people who have the balls to go and do it on their own, no way do I feel like I'd be able to do it! Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, should have added, if you are a ltd you will get taxed twice by paying Corporation Tax on the company's profit, and then again personally on any salary or dividends you take, whereas a sole trader will just pay personal tax and NIC on the whole lot. There are more issues inside of that though, which an accountant would be able to go through with you. But its generally better to be a ltd if you are going to be making a reasonable amount of profit.

(I think I might have gone ott on this, but hope it helps a bit)

I wondered about this to be honest. A kid I played football with when I was young, he's an accountant now, and we're meeting up in a fortnight, he'll put me straight.