Starting your own business

McFaul

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously stevie we talked about this 2 years ago. Why are you fucking around?

Because I'm a mug. It's been a very interesting morning, I've had an ex boss testing the water with me with some interesting proposals to say the least. It's almost like he's reading this fucking thread!

I'm happy at the moment, got a lot of decisions to make.

Good thread btw and all the best Stevie. Parky seems to know what he's talking about, was interesting to read. If it's a recruitment business, did your old boss rinse his old boss of clients etc when he set up? That's how it works in recruitment isn't it as that's basically whats being sold: contacts/relationships. It's not manufacturing/people havent gone to massive expense in developing a product or intellectual property etc etc. Isn't it expected you'll do the same to him when you set up (and equally anyone would do it to you if you employed them and then they subsequently set up?) S'pose that'd be my only guiding principle...if your boss shafted someone on starting up then I wouldn't have any qualms in doing the same to him (and would try to take a philosophical view if someone then did the same to me down the line) As Parky said, if you're legally prohibited from setting up within 6 months (on pain of a financial sanction) fair enough, but if not then just get on with it iyam.

I wanna be there when Stevie has his Jerry Maguire moment.

"But if anybody else wants to come with me, this moment will be the ground floor of something real and fun and inspiring and true in this godforsaken business and we will do it together! Who's coming with me besides... "Flipper" here?"

Good luck with all this Stevie however can I just be the merchant of doom voice as the "go get em tiger" posts have been well covered. :lol:

Do you really want the hassle?

Can you really handle the hassle?

So many employees, think its pretty straightforward to take what you know and do it for yourself. Its not and its a well known fact that the majority fail.

Also bear in mind its that time of the year when every fucker gets miserable, hates their boss, job etc and dreams of what to do next.

Unfortunately some people are cut out for everything that goes with starting a business and some are not.

From what I ve read on here you seem to be very happy with your young lady and possible on the verge of settling down. Starting a business will bring masses of stresses that will add strains to your relationship.

Sometimes it is nice just to walk out the door at 5pm and "switch off" till the next day.

I would highly recommend you go and see one of the business link people, someone who wont blow smoke up your arse and will discuss the down side of things as well.

Anyway, good luck from Team Negative :)

I wanna be there when Stevie has his Jerry Maguire moment.

"But if anybody else wants to come with me, this moment will be the ground floor of something real and fun and inspiring and true in this godforsaken business and we will do it together! Who's coming with me besides... "Flipper" here?"

:lol:

Good luck with all this Stevie however can I just be the merchant of doom voice as the "go get em tiger" posts have been well covered. :lol:

Do you really want the hassle?

Can you really handle the hassle?

So many employees, think its pretty straightforward to take what you know and do it for yourself. Its not and its a well known fact that the majority fail.

Also bear in mind its that time of the year when every fucker gets miserable, hates their boss, job etc and dreams of what to do next.

Unfortunately some people are cut out for everything that goes with starting a business and some are not.

From what I ve read on here you seem to be very happy with your young lady and possible on the verge of settling down. Starting a business will bring masses of stresses that will add strains to your relationship.

Sometimes it is nice just to walk out the door at 5pm and "switch off" till the next day.

I would highly recommend you go and see one of the business link people, someone who wont blow smoke up your arse and will discuss the down side of things as well.

Anyway, good luck from Team Negative :)

Thanks. This calendar I'll have made maybe 38-39k in salary. The reason I need to do this is, I've made 81k in that period. There is nothing my company have that I don't have that would stop me from achieving that. You're right regarding stress and hassle, but I get enough now, and I know for a fact I wouldn't fail, I may not be as successful as I hope but I'd at least match what I'm on even if it's catastrophic. It's not like I'm selling anything, I'm providing a service to a lot of people who like me (believe it or not) people I've nurtured relationships with over 5 years of doing this job. It's not like I'm opening a shop.

Good thread btw and all the best Stevie. Parky seems to know what he's talking about, was interesting to read. If it's a recruitment business, did your old boss rinse his old boss of clients etc when he set up? That's how it works in recruitment isn't it as that's basically whats being sold: contacts/relationships. It's not manufacturing/people havent gone to massive expense in developing a product or intellectual property etc etc. Isn't it expected you'll do the same to him when you set up (and equally anyone would do it to you if you employed them and then they subsequently set up?) S'pose that'd be my only guiding principle...if your boss shafted someone on starting up then I wouldn't have any qualms in doing the same to him (and would try to take a philosophical view if someone then did the same to me down the line) As Parky said, if you're legally prohibited from setting up within 6 months (on pain of a financial sanction) fair enough, but if not then just get on with it iyam.

Aye I know I should just get on with it, the only thing that stops me is it's the type of industry where you can go 3 months billing fuck all, then the next 3 month doing 40k. I'm going to brave it I think probably be the best thing I ever do.

Aye I know I should just get on with it, the only thing that stops me is it's the type of industry where you can go 3 months billing fuck all, then the next 3 month doing 40k. I'm going to brave it I think probably be the best thing I ever do.

Mate, it's the main thing you sacrifice when you move away from a salaried post-the certainty of what lands in your account each month. At the same time, it's one of the main reasons you move away from it to start with; the uncertainty (ie opportunity to do better off your own endeavours alone). That and the overall freedom. Can tell you feel like you've got the confidence to do it so go for it. If you think you'll end up getting resentful if you don't do it or keep putting it off, I think that alone is a good enough reason as long as you dont have dependents.

Mate, it's the main thing you sacrifice when you move away from a salaried post-the certainty of what lands in your account each month. At the same time, it's one of the main reasons you move away from it to start with; the uncertainty (ie opportunity to do better off your own endeavours alone). That and the overall freedom. Can tell you feel like you've got the confidence to do it so go for it. If you think you'll end up getting resentful if you don't do it or keep putting it off, I think that alone is a good enough reason as long as you dont have dependents.

I don't have any kids yet, but we think that'll change in the next 2 to 3 years, and that's another reason for doing it now because my toe will have firmly been in the water by say 2015. I've got a decent amount of money behind me should it go tits up anyway, and I know people in London who would take me with open arms. I've just had an offer today to work for my old manager commission only, which I'd consider for 75% but he's saying 50%. I called him a greedy cunt!

Edited by McFaul

Started mine in 2003. The hardest bit was making that first leap of faith. Handed my notice in and the next day I had a letter from my former employers solicitor warning me off their client base.

The learning curve for me has been huge. I've almost become an accountant not the technical sales orientated person I was. Managing cash flow and people are the two hardest things I've came across.

Not sure how it is in recruitment, but my business is repeat sales so you build up a customer base. I spoke to a lot of mine before I took the plunge to see what support I would get and it was good. When I first set up they paid me early etc. I lived each month hand to mouth. Used my credit card to buy things and sell them to my customers. Bought a second hand car etc to run around in.

9 years on and I have three branches and employ 10 people. Survived the recession but it was fucking scary and I laid off 3 people which was tough. Still tough trading now.

It's probably the most stressful thing I've done. the lows are really fucking low but the highs are higher than you'll ever get working for someone.

There's only yourself that holds you back and determines how successful you want to be.

I have a drawer upstairs dedicated to the various business cards I have relating to businesses that I almost got off the ground :lol:

Always start with a good business card.

I've got a business card now as it happens, but I feel like a pretencious cunt when I give it out, which isn't very often.

Started mine in 2003. The hardest bit was making that first leap of faith. Handed my notice in and the next day I had a letter from my former employers solicitor warning me off their client base.

The learning curve for me has been huge. I've almost become an accountant not the technical sales orientated person I was. Managing cash flow and people are the two hardest things I've came across.

Not sure how it is in recruitment, but my business is repeat sales so you build up a customer base. I spoke to a lot of mine before I took the plunge to see what support I would get and it was good. When I first set up they paid me early etc. I lived each month hand to mouth. Used my credit card to buy things and sell them to my customers. Bought a second hand car etc to run around in.

9 years on and I have three branches and employ 10 people. Survived the recession but it was fucking scary and I laid off 3 people which was tough. Still tough trading now.

It's probably the most stressful thing I've done. the lows are really fucking low but the highs are higher than you'll ever get working for someone.

There's only yourself that holds you back and determines how successful you want to be.

Can I ask you a question which is probably a bit personal. Are you a millionaire yet?

Can I ask you a question which is probably a bit personal. Are you a millionaire yet?

:lol:

Fucking nee chance.

I take a reasonable wage, but I dont take the piss. Money stays in the business. Has to if I want it to grow etc.

Good luck with it Stevie.

Wor lass and her mate have been thinking of starting up their own business too.

I'm all for it, especially as it means she'll be working the majority of weekends.

Good luck with it Stevie.

Wor lass and her mate have been thinking of starting up their own business too.

I'm all for it, especially as it means she'll be working the majority of weekends.

:lol: Bit of green and Pink Floyd :)

Good luck with it Stevie- work wise, it's the best/scariest thing I've ever done

Thanks, you know what I find most appealling? The fact you can just take days off whenever you like, or go abroad or do anything without feeling your life is restricted. If I had exceptionally good months that's exactly what I would do.