The "Did you know?" Thread

catmag

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookkeeper is the shortest word in the English language to contain three double letter combos in a row. (Happy's is better)

My defacto language type "did you know?" has for years been the buffallo one...

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

That's a gramatically correct sentence.

I like the "typewriter is the longest word you can type using just the top row of keys on a standard qwerty keyboard"

I don't buy the explanation that they arranged the letter this way to make it easy for typewriter salesmen to display the practicality of the device. I'd have thought anything on the centre row, at either end would be easier?

I like the "typewriter is the longest word you can type using just the top row of keys on a standard qwerty keyboard"

Teetertotter

That's never a real word

The names of all continents both start and end with the same letter.

Except Oceania, North America and South America?

North America

South America

Antartica

Africa

Europe

Asia

Australia

Oceania is not a continent But it almost works,,,,,,,,if you just had the America x 2

Edited by Jan

The names of all continents both start and end with the same letter.

Except Oceania, North America and South America?

North America

South America

Antartica

Africa

Europe

Asia

Australia

Oceania is not a continent But it almost works,,,,,,,,if you just had the America x 2

It fucking is like. They get half a place at the World Cup. How do you define a continent anyway? I mean, how are Europe and Asia seperate continents? It makes no sense.

Not in English speaking schools it isn't

They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents—they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.

Conventionally, "continents are understood to be large, continuous, discrete masses of land, ideally separated by expanses of water."

Thanks for quoting wiki, Jan. It doesn't really answer my question though. The Oceania comment was tongue-in-cheek btw ;)

Ha! Backtrack! :jonas:

I meant the WC place comment. It was a Blaydon / old skool reference.