Blur v Oasis

Dr Gloom

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica is the worst band ever. Them and Iron Maiden. And Scooter.

Used to devour Metallica albums when I was their target audience (13 years old) but it's fair to say they don't hold up to scrutiny now. "One" is basically their career condensed into one song so there's no need to bother beyond that.

I've still got a lot of time for late-80s Maiden though, "Seventh Son" era. Camp as Christmas and some cracking melodeeez.

Used to devour Metallica albums when I was their target audience (13 years old) but it's fair to say they don't hold up to scrutiny now. "One" is basically their career condensed into one song so there's no need to bother beyond that.

I've still got a lot of time for late-80s Maiden though, "Seventh Son" era. Camp as Christmas and some cracking melodeeez.

What about Scooter? ;)

I met Liam in the Sir Richard Steeles a few years ago, sat round in the beer garden and chewed the fat with him. He was spot on, we bonded over being northern and football. If he'd been making organic cheese in the Cotswolds i cant say i'd have been as engaged.

I met Liam in the Sir Richard Steeles a few years ago, sat round in the beer garden and chewed the fat with him. He was spot on, we bonded over being northern and football. If he'd been making organic cheese in the Cotswolds i cant say i'd have been as engaged.

:lol:

Zappa knocks them all into a cocked hat btw.

If we're talking avant garde and shit.

And Peter Green, hands down.

I quite like Zappa. Not a massive fan (although my mate is) but apart from the musicianship (is that even a word?) which I can appreciate, I like the way they just had a laugh. Compare that to po-faced cunts like Metallica.

Definately had a laugh like …

Released an album called " Does Humour Belong in Music ?" iirc

I prefer the 2nd generation of Detroit Techno producers to the Belville 3. Controversial or what? Meenzer'll be on later telling us which era was best for Icelandic folk-pop.

But which Fleetwood Mac line up was the best?

Peter Green man. Made Syd Barrett looked like he had a mild addiction to paracetamol.

What about Scooter? ;)

Should have won the German Eurovision final in 2004 but were totally robbed. :(

Liam Gallagher is an utter gobshite. He thinks he is the reincarnation of John Lennon (literally, he talked about it in a doc on Definitely Maybe), he has the voice of a dying man screaming into a bucket, and he's the most aggressive human being since Genghis Khan. Noel I don't mind as much, because he realises that he's not a particularly gifted musician, when he talks about really good musicians he talks with the appropriate deference of a man who gets his lyrics from a rhyming dictionary.

I remember reading an interview with Liam where he claimed that the spirit of Muhammad Ali jumped out of the telly and into him while he was watching When We Were Kings. As mentioned, he also claims to be the reincarnation of John Lennon despite being born before Lennon died.

Doesn't Stevie think The Animals are better than The Beatles though?

The Beatles are comfortably the most overrated band in human history. Funny enough I had that debate 2 weeks ago in town and everyone agreed. There were bands in the 60's who weren't 1/100th as famous as the beatles in the sixties who were better than them. However, that's my taste plenty people agree with me, the same as plenty people massively respect the beatles for no other reason than it's popular to do so.

What a load of shite.

A load of shite to you. To me and to other people The Beatles are the most overrated band in human history, but it's popular to like them, and some people obviously think they're excellent. I can't understand why myself. Too many peoples musical opinions are based on what NME suggest is good and bad.

I've never read NME in my life.

Who said you have?

Stevie you seem to take your mentality as a football supporter and apply it to music.

For you, Oasis = The toon, Jimmy Nail = Toon under Joe Harvey, etc. Beatles = The Wall Pushers, The Smiths = Sunderland.

Music doesn't really work like that. There's a reason why it's popular to like the Beatles nearly 50 years after the fact, that's because they made some great records. Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, The White Album, they were fantastic and hugely influential records and they remain so. If you could name some of these bands from the 60s who were better than the Beatles we could compare their records. Somehow I don't think they'll stand up to the Beatle's output.

What about Scooter? ;)

Should have won the German Eurovision final in 2004 but were totally robbed. :(

The German Eurovision final. Scary stuff.

Stevie you seem to take your mentality as a football supporter and apply it to music.

For you, Oasis = The toon, Jimmy Nail = Toon under Joe Harvey, etc. Beatles = The Wall Pushers, The Smiths = Sunderland.

Music doesn't really work like that. There's a reason why it's popular to like the Beatles nearly 50 years after the fact, that's because they made some great records. Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, The White Album, they were fantastic and hugely influential records and they remain so. If you could name some of these bands from the 60s who were better than the Beatles we could compare their records. Somehow I don't think they'll stand up to the Beatle's output.

Personally I'd say "Something Else" "Face To Face" Village Green" and "Arthur" by The Kinks are a better 4 albums than the ones you mentioned. I do appreciate the Beatles were great though, I just think the Kinks have the edge on them myself. Liked how you didn't mention Sergeant Pepper, most overrated Beatles album by far imo.