Blur v Oasis

Dr Gloom

Agree with Stevie about the Beatles thing. Most of it was pap.

Purest form of "pony" but it's all opinion.

There was like a push here within the puppet masters and svengali's to get the Beatles over to America as some kind of cutlural counter attack as we were starting to be swamped by american culture. That was pretty much it. They were hiring girls to turn up at airports and so on...

:lol: It's all tied in with Roswell.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't like Blur or Oasis much, liked Pulp to some extent.

As for the other debate, The Kinks were by far the best 60s band in my opinion.

In my Blur period I was as much listening to Pulp and Lush and Curve and so on...Think Pulp were more of the flailing and starcrossed English moment, when you were just waiting for the whole thing to fall apart.

I liked one Curve song, but I can't remember what it was. The singer was fit though, for being a mackem.

I prefer the 2nd generation of Detroit Techno producers to the Belville 3. Controversial or what? Meenzer'll be on later telling us which era was best for Icelandic folk-pop.

It's an internal debate that keeps on raging. I'll get back to you if I ever achieve closure.

It all boils down to Cigarettes & Alcohol vs Coffee & TV. Oasis were better if you were getting off your tits, Blur were better if you werent part of the hedonistic 'fuck you' of rave-ensconsed Britain.

Both shite though.

The depth of ideas Blur had was way beyond the reach of Oasis who were really only one iconic moment of vacous meaningless bravado after another.

In my Blur period I was as much listening to Pulp and Lush and Curve and so on...Think Pulp were more of the flailing and starcrossed English moment, when you were just waiting for the whole thing to fall apart.

I liked one Curve song, but I can't remember what it was. The singer was fit though, for being a mackem.

Toni Halliday. They were shit though and I tried to like them because I fancied her. 'Original' with Leftfield was alright though.

It all boils down to Cigarettes & Alcohol vs Coffee & TV. Oasis were better if you were getting off your tits, Blur were better if you werent part of the hedonistic 'fuck you' of rave-ensconsed Britain.

Both shite though.

The depth of ideas Blur had was way beyond the reach of Oasis who were really only one iconic moment of vacous meaningless bravado after another.

Go to an Oasis concert, and honestly you could drop a fucking bomb on it and society would lose very little of substance. Mortal drunk monkey walkers as far as the eye can see.

Toni Halliday. They were shit though and I tried to like them because I fancied her. 'Original' with Leftfield was alright though.

:lol: same here. It was impossible though. Just checked and she was born in Fulham, but moved to Washington.

I prefer the 2nd generation of Detroit Techno producers to the Belville 3.

Heathen!

Kenny Larkin is much more consistent than any of them tbf. Carl Craig anarl. Derrick May did about 3 good tunes. They were fucking mint though tbf.

Both shite though.

I really wouldnt consider Blur as especially deep and its often missing the point of music to use artistic 'depth' to differentiate artistic value.

Both shite though.

I really wouldnt consider Blur as especially deep and its often missing the point of music to use artistic 'depth' to differentiate artistic value.

The Blur albums were finely tuned and intellectually sound made by bright boys with an eye to the future.

Oasis were only good when they didn't really know what was going on.

:lol:

Zappa knocks them all into a cocked hat btw.

If we're talking avant garde and shit.

And Peter Green, hands down.

I quite like Zappa. Not a massive fan (although my mate is) but apart from the musicianship (is that even a word?) which I can appreciate, I like the way they just had a laugh. Compare that to po-faced cunts like Metallica.

Heathen!
Kenny Larkin is much more consistent than any of them tbf. Carl Craig anarl. Derrick May did about 3 good tunes. They were fucking mint though tbf.
Aye, Strings of Life, then am struggling but you only have to write one tune like that to change the course of history in music. Juan Atkins was better though.

It all boils down to Cigarettes & Alcohol vs Coffee & TV. Oasis were better if you were getting off your tits, Blur were better if you werent part of the hedonistic 'fuck you' of rave-ensconsed Britain. Both shite though.
The Blur albums were finely tuned and intellectually sound made by bright boys with an eye to the future. Oasis were only good when they didn't really know what was going on.
Definitely Maybe is better than Parklife, mainly because i dont believe great rock and roll can be made by public schoolboys from the home counties. That includes Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay too ;)

Heathen!
Aye, Strings of Life, then am struggling but you only have to write one tune like that to change the course of history in music. Juan Atkins was better though.

'Magic Juan' was/is patchy too though imo. Great early in his career but some of his later stuff is just a bit boring really.

Heathen!

'Magic Juan' was/is patchy too though imo. Great early in his career but some of his later stuff is just a bit boring really.

Model 500 was once described as "George Clinton meets Kraftwerk in an elevator' :lol: I loved that. I know what you mean about the later stuff, mainly because none of it has ever stuck with me like the earlier stuff.

It all boils down to Cigarettes & Alcohol vs Coffee & TV. Oasis were better if you were getting off your tits, Blur were better if you werent part of the hedonistic 'fuck you' of rave-ensconsed Britain. Both shite though.
The Blur albums were finely tuned and intellectually sound made by bright boys with an eye to the future. Oasis were only good when they didn't really know what was going on.
Definitely Maybe is better than Parklife, mainly because i dont believe great rock and roll can be made by public schoolboys from the home counties. That includes Radiohead, Muse and Coldplay too ;)

I think you two have summarized it well here.

Heathen!

Model 500 was once described as "George Clinton meets Kraftwerk in an elevator' :lol: I loved that. I know what you mean about the later stuff, mainly because none of it has ever stuck with me like the earlier stuff.

Aye, good description as well (can't remember who said it, maybe the man himself). Kevin Saunderson was class too back in the day. Plus his stuff as Inner City crossed over into the mainstream / house. Juan Atkins did the best mix of Big Fun though. They all went to school together funnily enough.

Edited by alex

Doesn't Stevie think The Animals are better than The Beatles though?

The Beatles are comfortably the most overrated band in human history. Funny enough I had that debate 2 weeks ago in town and everyone agreed. There were bands in the 60's who weren't 1/100th as famous as the beatles in the sixties who were better than them. However, that's my taste plenty people agree with me, the same as plenty people massively respect the beatles for no other reason than it's popular to do so.

What a load of shite.

A load of shite to you. To me and to other people The Beatles are the most overrated band in human history, but it's popular to like them, and some people obviously think they're excellent. I can't understand why myself. Too many peoples musical opinions are based on what NME suggest is good and bad.

I've never read NME in my life.

I prefer the 2nd generation of Detroit Techno producers to the Belville 3. Controversial or what? Meenzer'll be on later telling us which era was best for Icelandic folk-pop.

But which Fleetwood Mac line up was the best?

Peter Green man. Made Syd Barrett looked like he had a mild addiction to paracetamol.

Edited by Jonny2J