Blur v Oasis

Dr Gloom

"Saying anybody is ignorant about music is ignorant in itself."

"I don't think your musical taste is up to much."

Take your time. :razz:

That's my opinion! I can't however say as absolute fact your musical taste is right or wrong. It's like if I said to you Dawn Thewlis is the best looking woman in the world, I can say it but it's not a definitive fact.

Yes but you tell us that people who like other stuff have ulterior motives ("cos it's popular", "cos the NME tells them to"). I've got news for you, no band was more popular to say you liked in the 90s than Oasis. And the NME were MASSIVE proponents of Oasis.

Fuck knows who told you to like Jimmy Nail mind. Woman's Own? :razz:

I didn't say all people, just a certain type of person, there's many of them not just people who have posted in this thread. I also wrote I appreciate there are more people who like The Beatles because they think they're excellent, I can't see it but music is in the ear of the beholder.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time it was Blur for me, couldn't stand Oasis. Over time though I've learned to like them both...

What's The Story Morning Glory (the track) is a brilliant tune amongst many others.

Some of Blur's best stuff are tracks they never released as singles.

"Saying anybody is ignorant about music is ignorant in itself."

"I don't think your musical taste is up to much."

Take your time. :razz:

That's my opinion! I can't however say as absolute fact your musical taste is right or wrong. It's like if I said to you Dawn Thewlis is the best looking woman in the world, I can say it but it's not a definitive fact.

Yes but you tell us that people who like other stuff have ulterior motives ("cos it's popular", "cos the NME tells them to"). I've got news for you, no band was more popular to say you liked in the 90s than Oasis. And the NME were MASSIVE proponents of Oasis.

Fuck knows who told you to like Jimmy Nail mind. Woman's Own? :razz:

I didn't say all people, just a certain type of person, there's many of them not just people who have posted in this thread. I also wrote I appreciate there are more people who like The Beatles because they think they're excellent, I can't see it but music is in the ear of the beholder.

Fair enough. But just so you know, I think there might be some people in this thread who like Oasis cos it's popular to say they do.

WIth Blur I think their albums usually have a lot of filler. I like a few of their songs though, There's No Other Way, Tender and She's So High spring to mind. As for Oasis I read a review of Definitely Maybe (in NME or Select) calling them the new Stone Roses and bought it about the time it came out. It's funny because while it was popular with people who read the music press it didn't really take off until What's the Story... came out. I know that sounds a bit "I'm into bands that don't even exist yet" but anyway... I think they never hit those heights and found the furore over them after that way OTT. Basically most of their other stuff is a pale imitation of that first album for me. Liam spawned a hilarious amout of (hilarious) wannabes in the 90s. Usually looking like they'd shit their pants and were carrying two invisible carpet rolls. I even met a kid at university (who it later transpired was a mackem) who pretended he was from Hulme and spoke with a fake manc accent. I digress though. Couple of canny bands but both a bit, well 'meh' imo.

Agree with Stevie about the Beatles thing. Most of it was pap. The whole egg yolk and Lennon thing was proabably interesting to 14 year olds with a bit of dope hidden behind the toilet. He got out of bed - he got shot. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

I seem to remember one of my first arguments on here was due to my hatred of Oasis generally. I've mellowed since then like. If I had a Gun is a lovely song.

You're good at using calculators and pie charts, but I don't think your musical taste is up to much.

:lol:

Agree with Stevie about the Beatles thing. Most of it was pap.

Purest form of "pony" but it's all opinion.

There was like a push here within the puppet masters and svengali's to get the Beatles over to America as some kind of cutlural counter attack as we were starting to be swamped by american culture. That was pretty much it. They were hiring girls to turn up at airports and so on...

Didn't like Blur or Oasis much, liked Pulp to some extent.

As for the other debate, The Kinks were by far the best 60s band in my opinion.

In my Blur period I was as much listening to Pulp and Lush and Curve and so on...Think Pulp were more of the flailing and starcrossed English moment, when you were just waiting for the whole thing to fall apart.

I prefer the 2nd generation of Detroit Techno producers to the Belville 3. Controversial or what? Meenzer'll be on later telling us which era was best for Icelandic folk-pop.