Blur v Oasis

Dr Gloom

Doesn't Stevie think The Animals are better than The Beatles though? :lol:;)

The Beatles are comfortably the most overrated band in human history. Funny enough I had that debate 2 weeks ago in town and everyone agreed. There were bands in the 60's who weren't 1/100th as famous as the beatles in the sixties who were better than them. However, that's my taste plenty people agree with me, the same as plenty people massively respect the beatles for no other reason than it's popular to do so.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't Stevie think The Animals are better than The Beatles though?

The Beatles are comfortably the most overrated band in human history. Funny enough I had that debate 2 weeks ago in town and everyone agreed. There were bands in the 60's who weren't 1/100th as famous as the beatles in the sixties who were better than them. However, that's my taste plenty people agree with me, the same as plenty people massively respect the beatles for no other reason than it's popular to do so.

Aye Stevie, your opinions the only valid one, any others just about being popular

What a load of shite.

They might be overrated (I don't think they are like considering their sheer importance on popular music in so many different ways) but they're still mint. Even if you compare them down to a musician level, each member was better than The Animals and a large majority of 60s bands. As someone that actually listens to obscure 60s garage rock and pop music, there's not one of them better than The Beatles. Paul was a better singer than 90% of his contemporaries, Ringo a better drummer (yes, he was), George a better lead guitarist etc. House of The Rising Sun was a good arrangement aye but do you honestly think it's better than something like A Day in The Life? If you prefer The Animals then fair enough, opinions and different tastes and all that but they were never objectively better, man. I think every musician that potters into this thread will tell you they respect The Beatles because they were massively talented songwriters and players, not just because it's cool to do so.

What a load of shite.

A load of shite to you. To me and to other people The Beatles are the most overrated band in human history, but it's popular to like them, and some people obviously think they're excellent. I can't understand why myself. Too many peoples musical opinions are based on what NME suggest is good and bad.

Mental that anyone could think that the Beatles are overrated, but think that a very pale imitation of the Beatles are the best band ever.

Although Oasis very much respected the Beatles, could you tell me five songs which were anything at all similar to a Beatles song in terms of what they actually sounded like. I think when you talk about music it's like when CT talks about football history.

They might be overrated (I don't think they are like considering their sheer importance on popular music in so many different ways) but they're still mint. Even if you compare them down to a musician level, each member was better than The Animals and a large majority of 60s bands. As someone that actually listens to obscure 60s garage rock and pop music, there's not one of them better than The Beatles. Paul was a better singer than 90% of his contemporaries, Ringo a better drummer (yes, he was), George a better lead guitarist etc. House of The Rising Sun was a good arrangement aye but do you honestly think it's better than something like A Day in The Life? If you prefer The Animals then fair enough, opinions and different tastes and all that but they were never objectively better, man. I think every musician that potters into this thread will tell you they respect The Beatles because they were massively talented songwriters and players, not just because it's cool to do so.

Music is about opinions which is why it's cheeky for idiots to say "what a load of shite" because it's an issue which is pure opinion and there's not a definitive right and wrong. The Beatles never produced a song better than House of The Rising Sun, that's my opinion.

What a load of shite.

A load of shite to you. To me and to other people The Beatles are the most overrated band in human history, but it's popular to like them, and some people obviously think they're excellent. I can't understand why myself. Too many peoples musical opinions are based on what NME suggest is good and bad.

Agreed.

What a load of shite.

Agreed.

:o First time you've EVER agreed with me on anything :D

Mental that anyone could think that the Beatles are overrated, but think that a very pale imitation of the Beatles are the best band ever.

Although Oasis very much respected the Beatles, could you tell me five songs which were anything at all similar to a Beatles song in terms of what they actually sounded like. I think when you talk about music it's like when CT talks about football history.

:lol: Stevie man, you like Jimmy Nail and Phil Collins ffs. And you once argued that U2 arent safe MOR rock. You know nowt about what is and isn't good, but you know what you like. You then mistakenly think that what you like must be right, and tell everyone else that they're only doing what they do cos they think it's popular. Canny stupid tbh.

There are parts of Oasis songs that are direct lifts from Beatles songs. They may or may not have been Noel tipping a wink, but he did so in the knowledge that he was ripping them off left, right and centre. The outro to She's Electric. The intro to Don't Look Back in Anger (albeit a rip off of a John Lennon song).

You won't spot a lot of the stuff they nicked from other bands, cos you're ignorant about music in general.

What a load of shite.

Agreed.

:o First time you've EVER agreed with me on anything :D

I did consider changing my opinion when I realised that. ;)

They're good, certainly not a bad band but not nearly good enough to justify the obsession the music world has with them. IMO.

:lol: Stevie man, you like Jimmy Nail and Phil Collins ffs. And you once argued that U2 arent safe MOR rock. You know nowt about what is and isn't good, but you know what you like. You then mistakenly think that what you like must be right, and tell everyone else that they're only doing what they do cos they think it's popular. Canny stupid tbh.

There are parts of Oasis songs that are direct lifts from Beatles songs. They may or may not have been Noel tipping a wink, but he did so in the knowledge that he was ripping them off left, right and centre. The outro to She's Electric. The intro to Don't Look Back in Anger (albeit a rip off of a John Lennon song).

You won't spot a lot of the stuff they nicked from other bands, cos you're ignorant about music in general.

What part of this.........

Music is about opinions which is why it's cheeky for idiots to say "what a load of shite" because it's an issue which is pure opinion and there's not a definitive right and wrong. The Beatles never produced a song better than House of The Rising Sun, that's my opinion.

...suggests that what I think is good, is definitively good and everything else is shit? There's no definitive good and bad in music, it's pure opinion, but quite clearly there are an amount of people, classic examples in this thread who I believe and I might be wrong who like specific music as it's popular to do so. Saying anybody is ignorant about music in general is ignorant in itself, because if I held your opinions on music you'd be saying other wise.

Edited by McFaul

I seem to remember one of my first arguments on here was due to my hatred of Oasis generally. I've mellowed since then like. If I had a Gun is a lovely song.

You're good at using calculators and pie charts, but I don't think your musical taste is up to much.

...suggests that what I think is good, is definitively good and everything else is shit? There's no definitive good and bad in music, it's pure opinion, but quite clearly there are an amount of people, classic examples in this thread who I believe and I might be wrong who like specific music as it's popular to do so. Saying anybody is ignorant about music in general is ignorant in itself, because if I held your opinions on music you'd be saying other wise.

See above. Kind of contradicts your latest argument, doesn't it. Bi-polar.

I seem to remember one of my first arguments on here was due to my hatred of Oasis generally. I've mellowed since then like. If I had a Gun is a lovely song.

You're good at using calculators and pie charts, but I don't think your musical taste is up to much.

See above. Kind of contradicts your latest argument, doesn't it. Bi-polar.

Eh? Contradicts your initial point, but don't worry most people won't notice.

I'm all for Stevie not liking The Beatles, so fuck, not my place to try and change his taste but I actually think their standing has gotten to the point where people don't realise how good those four were at what they did outside of catchy melodies that they may not like. They have their place in the musical canon for a good reason.

"Saying anybody is ignorant about music is ignorant in itself."

"I don't think your musical taste is up to much."

Take your time. :razz:

That's my opinion! I can't however say as absolute fact your musical taste is right or wrong. It's like if I said to you Dawn Thewlis is the best looking woman in the world, I can say it but it's not a definitive fact.

"Saying anybody is ignorant about music is ignorant in itself."

"I don't think your musical taste is up to much."

Take your time. :razz:

That's my opinion! I can't however say as absolute fact your musical taste is right or wrong. It's like if I said to you Dawn Thewlis is the best looking woman in the world, I can say it but it's not a definitive fact.

Yes but you tell us that people who like other stuff have ulterior motives ("cos it's popular", "cos the NME tells them to"). I've got news for you, no band was more popular to say you liked in the 90s than Oasis. And the NME were MASSIVE proponents of Oasis.

Fuck knows who told you to like Jimmy Nail mind. Woman's Own? :razz: