Anybody know about eyesight?

Park Life

Parky Jnr has a lazy eye and has been recommended glasses for correction of the left eye. They say it will get stronger this way or summink...Is this true? Or should we have just left it...She never complained about not being able to see at school or anything...It's knocked her confidence a bit it seems...

Aye I know a few similar cases where it's helped a lot, gonna be no harm giving it a go at least! Oh and I wear glasses and should have done throughout most of secondary school, but hardly noticed that much of a difference until I had a proper eye test. Plus I wouldn't have wanted to kick up a fuss over what could've been nothing.

Aye I know a few similar cases where it's helped a lot, gonna be no harm giving it a go at least! Oh and I wear glasses and should have done throughout most of secondary school, but hardly noticed that much of a difference until I had a proper eye test. Plus I wouldn't have wanted to kick up a fuss over what could've been nothing.

They're very finicky in Germany with this kind of thing...Obviously will have to give it a go...They tend to overdo all this lark the krauts though. I wouldn't go to the doc here if you paid me...Probably will be told should have died 10 years ago.. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

If it was a German optician, you should be thankful they're giving her actual technology rather than a concoction of herbs to hold over her eye at all times.

:lol:

I know mate. I had to threaten war to get anti-biotics for an ear infection rather than some herb pulver...

Corrective glasses? In my day it was a patch over the good eye and a few weeks of looking like a spastic/pirate.

I honestly wouldn't have bothered with it but for it meaning going to war with Mrs P (like that time over the innoculations).. ;)

I'm short sighted in my left eye and have been wearing corrective glasses for years whilst reading, watching the telly etc. and it hasn't helped me at all. Zeitverschwendung as they'd say in Germany

I'm going along with it so as not to destabalise the euro any further.

Dr K is an optician iirc. Maybe chuck him a PM of he doesn't see this thread.

He'll be too busy banging his way through Teeside's singles scene to reply.

Or 'nursery', as the rest of us call it.

Parky Jnr has a lazy eye and has been recommended glasses for correction of the left eye. They say it will get stronger this way or summink...Is this true? Or should we have just left it...She never complained about not being able to see at school or anything...It's knocked her confidence a bit it seems...

How old is she? If she has a 'lazy' (amblyopic) eye, this is your promblem: the 'good' eye will be seeing a nice clear image. The 'lazy' eye will be seeing a blurred fuzzy image. The brain has to try to put these two images together to give stereopsis (depth perception, nice wide field of vision etc). If the two images are significantly different the brain gives up on the fuzzy eye. If this happens the fuzzy eye basically becomes a bit of a passenger. It'll see shape, colour, movement, but will never see anything clearly like the good eye will.

To counteract this the fuzzy eye needs to receive as much stimulation as possible, as early as possible. So the fuzzy eye needs a corrective lens in front of it; if this makes it see clearly the pathways between the eye and brain will start to develop instead of wilting. Sometimes the lens in the good eye is frosted or patched to encourage the brain to put all its resources into helping the dodgy one. This process of helping the connections to develop is called the period of plasticity, and it only exists in young children; once you hit ten, that's it, the door's shut. I'd say you should be encouraging her to wear the specs as much as possible. The more she wears them, the better the chances are of the lazy eye catching up. There's no guarantee that it will unfortunately, but you're giving it the best chance.

How old is she? If she has a 'lazy' (amblyopic) eye, this is your promblem: the 'good' eye will be seeing a nice clear image. The 'lazy' eye will be seeing a blurred fuzzy image. The brain has to try to put these two images together to give stereopsis (depth perception, nice wide field of vision etc). If the two images are significantly different the brain gives up on the fuzzy eye. If this happens the fuzzy eye basically becomes a bit of a passenger. It'll see shape, colour, movement, but will never see anything clearly like the good eye will.

To counteract this the fuzzy eye needs to receive as much stimulation as possible, as early as possible. So the fuzzy eye needs a corrective lens in front of it; if this makes it see clearly the pathways between the eye and brain will start to develop instead of wilting. Sometimes the lens in the good eye is frosted or patched to encourage the brain to put all its resources into helping the dodgy one. This process of helping the connections to develop is called the period of plasticity, and it only exists in young children; once you hit ten, that's it, the door's shut. I'd say you should be encouraging her to wear the specs as much as possible. The more she wears them, the better the chances are of the lazy eye catching up. There's no guarantee that it will unfortunately, but you're giving it the best chance.

She's just turned 8.

Thanks for that excellent post mate and frankly you've expained it beautifully. :)

I'm meant to have worn glasses since age 4, but have never stuck with them as hated wearing them, I keep getting letters saying you haven't had eye test since 2005 bla bla, its been on my mind recently as I've had problems reading stuff and a few bad headaches

going to book a test for after Christmas I think, and take contacts as an option

She's just turned 8.

Thanks for that excellent post mate and frankly you've expained it beautifully. :)

No problem mate, you're welcome.

If it was a German optician, you should be thankful they're giving her actual technology rather than a concoction of herbs to hold over her eye at all times.

I know mate. I had to threaten war to get anti-biotics for an ear infection rather than some herb pulver...

http://www.thisiswhyyouregerman.com/

Saw this and thought of you, etc. ;)

http://www.thisiswhyyouregerman.com/

Saw this and thought of you, etc. ;)

Ha ha...That's so accurate.

Hate the use of 'oder'... :glare: