Rant

Pilchard Chops

I'm not pretending anymore, for the first time in my life I want Newcastle to get beat. Souness has to go.  Please god I'm so angry. More angry than the relegations Ive lived through, more angry than when Lee sold Supermac, more angry than i was in the hotel in london after the 74 cup final, more angry than leaving Hereford. more angry than watching us throw away the premiership tiltle, Just plain pissed off. F@@@  off Souness and take your pitiful excuses for coaches with you.

71653[/snapback]

why do you lot always wait until we got thhrashed and then shout for souness's head....never hear none of this shit on the occasions ( rarely latley) when we draw or win ???? :D

71656[/snapback]

it depends how long you've been reading the message board...and who you've been reading. I can assure you that I, and one or two others, have never wavered in our belief that fuckwit should be thrown off the Tyne Bridge even after the luxury of the odd decent win, or run of results against a few sunday pub teams in europe last season

Edited by LeazesMag

I'm not disrespecting a fan of PC's longevity but saying this is the worst for 40 years is utter, utter shite of the highest order.

71711[/snapback]

In sheer football terms perhaps it is shite but for as far as how I feel about the team ive loved for 40 years it is the most depressed and demotivated ive ever been. This is because of Souness, trot out all the excuses I just hate the bloke and the football I am having to endure after my expectations were (falsly) raised by the last 10 years of actually having a team to be proud of.

71727[/snapback]

I feel your pain Chops, but as one (only slightly) younger I feel a bit different. I think I went through what you are feeling now under KD, I hated the man the football I just couldnt bear it. I didnt hate Gullit with the same passion, but I was as depressed, and after Wembley farce part 2 I thought I was done.

SBR rekindled the hope, and it hasnt quite gone for me. I cant argue for Souness being a tactical genius, and Christ knows its hard to see any merit in a lot of performances we've had to endure, and the squad is plainly far too theadbare.

But he can identify a player, persuade him to sign and most importantly get Freddie to put up the cash, something that SBR was failing to do by the end of his time. If he can improve the squad again during the window I still think we are on course for a decent finish this season.

I'm not trying to change your mind here Pilchard, you and most others have already decided, and fair enough you are probably right, but I still thinkthere is a chance he can build a squad who could do something

I'm not disrespecting a fan of PC's longevity but saying this is the worst for 40 years is utter, utter shite of the highest order.

71711[/snapback]

In sheer football terms perhaps it is shite but for as far as how I feel about the team ive loved for 40 years it is the most depressed and demotivated ive ever been. This is because of Souness, trot out all the excuses I just hate the bloke and the football I am having to endure after my expectations were (falsly) raised by the last 10 years of actually having a team to be proud of.

71727[/snapback]

I feel your pain Chops, but as one (only slightly) younger I feel a bit different. I think I went through what you are feeling now under KD, I hated the man the football I just couldnt bear it. I didnt hate Gullit with the same passion, but I was as depressed, and after Wembley farce part 2 I thought I was done.

SBR rekindled the hope, and it hasnt quite gone for me. I cant argue for Souness being a tactical genius, and Christ knows its hard to see any merit in a lot of performances we've had to endure, and the squad is plainly far too theadbare.

But he can identify a player, persuade him to sign and most importantly get Freddie to put up the cash, something that SBR was failing to do by the end of his time. If he can improve the squad again during the window I still think we are on course for a decent finish this season.

I'm not trying to change your mind here Pilchard, you and most others have already decided, and fair enough you are probably right, but I still thinkthere is a chance he can build a squad who could do something

71763[/snapback]

yet more money for a lower finish than before he arrived.

Congratulations on also having your expectations successfully lowered by fuckwit, as some of us predicted

71711[/snapback]

71727[/snapback]

71763[/snapback]

Congratulations on also having your expectations successfully lowered by fuckwit, as some of us predicted

71769[/snapback]

SBR's team finished 5th but seemed to be going backwards. They finished the season so badly they were booed of the pitch. He failed to improve the squad the previous season and the players he brought in before his sacking couldnt be considered money well spent.

Talking about lowered expectations and saying the team finished top 5 for three seasons is an irrelevance.

Yes he has spent a lot of money, its a vital part of being a manager and mainly I think he has spent it well. I am very interested to see what happens in the window, because obviously our squad isnt big enough. If he continues to bring in the quality of players and builds a bigger squad I will be pleased.

Spongebob

SBR's team finished 5th but seemed to be going backwards. They finished the season so badly they were booed of the pitch. He failed to improve the squad the previous season and the players he brought in before his sacking couldnt be considered money well spent.

Talking about lowered expectations and saying the team finished top 5 for three seasons is an irrelevance.

Yes he has spent a lot of money, its a vital part of being a manager and mainly I think he has spent it well. I am very interested to see what happens in the window, because obviously our squad isnt big enough. If he continues to bring in the quality of players and builds a bigger squad I will be pleased.

71773[/snapback]

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're wrong to say the previous 3 seasons are an irrelevance. The team and squad had been good enough to finish in the top 5 over a fairly lengthy period, that means Souness had a very sound, established squad on which to build. This is a lot more than some previous managers.

I know the performances were slipping, I started pointing this out in 2002-03 and it needed addressing then. It wasn't. But the fact remains, Souness had the core of a pretty good squad that was of an established top 5 standard.

Regarding the clubs money. I don't believe Souness has spent money wisely, and he has certainly undermined the value of players released, so the club has brought less in than should have been the case. This has been said before by others and it remains true and really can't be refuted.

There is more to saying money has been spent wisely than thinking player 'x' is a good player, you have to ask yourself, "did we need that player?" Leeds spent millions buying the wrong players, a lot of them were good players but it didn't do them the least bit of good really. For myself, I think we needed to strengthen at the back before completely rebuilding the midfield, but Souness decided to rebuild the midfield. I think he's spent a lot of money on players we didn't need ahead of other areas where there was a more urgent need.

It's ok that Parker is proving so far to be a good player, and so is Owen, but the £17m on Owen should have gone on a player to actually replace Shearer in the team, not to partner Shearer. Owen is an out and out goalscorer, just like Shearer is and in that respect I believe he is Shearer's replacement, yet we still need someone to take Shearer's place in the team and that will cost a lot more money again. Some of Souness's signing have a lot to prove, although some have already shown they aren't good players, Faye, Babayaro and Shrek in particular.

Q. How much will Souness need to spend to get a top half finish from a team/squad that had finished in the top 5 for the 3 previous seasons prior to his arrival? I think it's a relevant question. I don't think he can get the best from players he signs, so I don't think it will really matter much who he signs, we won't go forward imo.

Edited by Howaythelads

Its the lack of flair, the lack of width, the lack of consistency, the lack of excitement that are getting everyone down

Statistically we could easily finish top 6 but I think we all feel terribly disapointed

Its the lack of flair, the lack of width, the lack of consistency, the lack of excitement that are getting everyone down

Statistically we could easily finish top 6 but I think we all feel terribly disapointed

71776[/snapback]

Rob,

We are consistent.

The second bit in bold has me confused, mate. What do you mean?

71763[/snapback]

71769[/snapback]

SBR's team finished 5th but seemed to be going backwards.

did you say so at the time ? it seems to me, in fact I'm pretty sure actually, that most people at the time thought we were underperforming, not overperforming ........

They finished the season so badly they were booed of the pitch. He failed to improve the squad the previous season and the players he brought in before his sacking couldnt be considered money well spent.

....... which is precisely why they were booed

of course it is lowered expectations, if you are handed 50m and a free hand to freshen up and improve a top 5 team, how on earth can you justify finishing even one place lower, never mind 9 ?

71773[/snapback]

there may not be too much money left....how much money do you think the club can afford exactly, and i disagree strongly it is money well spent, we have sold players we shouldn't have done, for less than they are worth, and overpaid for some we have brought in, due to Souness bahaving like a complete amateur.

I think the team that he inherited could have been improved and got closer to the top 3 for half what Souness has spent to take us backwards.

Edited by LeazesMag

I just can't see us getting a top 6 finish no matter how optimistic I'am, we are shite and everyone knows it deep down but as HTL states it's annoying because there are decent players at the club who could definitely do better than they currently are, this problem lies with the manager imo.

Spongebob

71773[/snapback]

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're wrong to say the previous 3 seasons are an irrelevance. The team and squad had been good enough to finish in the top 5 over a fairly lengthy period, that means Souness had a very sound, established squad on which to build. This is a lot more than some previous managers.

I know the performances were slipping, I started pointing this out in 2002-03 and it needed addressing then. It wasn't. But the fact remains, Souness had the core of a pretty good squad that was of an established top 5 standard.

Regarding the clubs money. I don't believe Souness has spent money wisely, and he has certainly undermined the value of players released, so the club has brought less in than should have been the case. This has been said before by others and it remains true and really can't be refuted.

There is more to saying money has been spent wisely than thinking player 'x' is a good player, you have to ask yourself, "did we need that player?" Leeds spent millions buying the wrong players, a lot of them were good players but it didn't do them the least bit of good really. For myself, I think we needed to strengthen at the back before completely rebuilding the midfield, but Souness decided to rebuild the midfield. I think he's spent a lot of money on players we didn't need ahead of other areas where there was a more urgent need.

It's ok that Parker is proving so far to be a good player, and so is Owen, but the £17m on Owen should have gone on a player to actually replace Shearer in the team, not to partner Shearer. Owen is an out and out goalscorer, just like Shearer is and in that respect I believe he is Shearer's replacement, yet we still need someone to take Shearer's place in the team and that will cost a lot more money again. Some of Souness's signing have a lot to prove, although some have already shown they aren't good players, Faye, Babayaro and Shrek in particular.

Q. How much will Souness need to spend to get a top half finish from a team/squad that had finished in the top 5 for the 3 previous seasons prior to his arrival? I think it's a relevant question. I don't think he can get the best from players he signs, so I don't think it will really matter much who he signs, we won't go forward imo.

71775[/snapback]

To an extent this transfer window will show whether the £17m on Owen was money well spent or not. If there is further money to strengthen and expand the squad then I think it was money well spent. If he realises we need a bigger squad and is aware there is money to spend that is OK. If the money is all gone then it is a bit all your eggs in one basket. If we are going to compete at the top then we will need players of the ability of Owen though. This will say more about the ambition of Freddie than anything else.

As to strengthening the defence as opposed to the midfield, well Taylor Bramble and Boumsong were looking pretty solid toward the end of last season, and the midfield was barren. Again though is there any long term thinking going on, who knows?

I dont know about undermining players values. With Bellamy I think the price was more due to his perceived attitude, and ongoing fitness problems as to anything else. If it was just down to ability then we would have had a queue of clubs biting our hands off at any price. And we got £7m for that plank Jenas aswell

Fergeson a ManU built his succes not on tactical innovation, but by getting the best players, and playing simple football well. Im not saying hes a Fergeson(obviously) but I think he could get some success by building a decent squad.

I would prefer Wenger/Mourinho or some other genius, but atleast I reckon Souness wont take any sht from Freddie and might be able to build a squad. By the end of this transfer window I may be proved hopelessly wrong mind

Personally I hope we win today.  Two thumbs down to anyone wanting us to lose.

71695[/snapback]

Gemmill,

Fact is, we'll go nowhere in the long term with Souness as manager.

When it comes to wanting us to lose, well I don't want us to lose either, ever, but the original poster is obviously taking the view that a defeat today might push FS into getting rid of this clown we have as a manager.

Now, IF I knew for an absolute fact that FS would sack Souness following a defeat today, but keep him until the end of the season if we win, I'd be on the same side of the fence as Pilchard Chops. It would be because I care about the club's future, mate.

71700[/snapback]

There is no guarantee though is there? And in the absence of such a guarantee you'll not find me wanting us to lose on the off-chance that it might lead to Souness getting sacked.

71702[/snapback]

Of course there are no guarantees, which is why I want us to win. However, as every defeat and shite performance goes by I know there is yet one more nail in the coffin for Souness. I take some solace in that.

Anyway, hypothetical question.

If there was a guarantee as I mentioned above that Souness would be sacked following a defeat today, would you want us to win or lose today? Yes or no will do fine.

71707[/snapback]

The answer has to be that it depends on who the replacement would be.

I'd answer yes unequivocally if I thought we'd get a top coach in to replace him. Unfortunately I think we'd probably be looking at the likes of Steve Bruce and it's hard to see what the benefit of that sort of appointment would be.