***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

Had we not being through "those years" with Ashley I think some would look at how we are currently run, bearing in mind the reality of today's football world, and come to the conclusion we have never been run better.

Every aspect of the club from financial to youth to backroom to management to quality on the pitch seems excellent.

Sure we will sadly have to sacrifice the odd Tiote along the way, but there isn't really any other way to do it these days unless you bag an Arab.

Comparing the football financial reality of today to the times of SJH is just stupidity. Worlds apart.

sadly, this is where you and others like you fall down.

What I say is correct. There is no reason whatsover why we should behave like Bolton, Blackburn etc rather than the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs etc, like we did previously.

I think its the Arsenal/Spurs model that we are trying to follow(not throwing mega bucks at players) and running the club within its means. It's taken Spurs a while to get there and they have sold big players on the way. Arsenal are finding it difficult to sustain a challenge against the big 3 with all the resources they have.

This is only our second season back in the premier league and a few of the so called experts tipped us to go down so last seasons finish and our current situation points to a degree of progress so far but there is a very long way to go and I'm in no doubt some of our best players will be sold if very big offers come and until we are in a position to turn them down it will continue.

The only way to keep players is the City/Chelsea way of paying massive wages coupled with massive investment. The Man Utd way of doing it by reputation and consistency. Even Arsenal can't hold on to their best players in this crazy market

when they start backing their managers and stop pocketing the cash from sales, then come back and start again.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leazes, you've stated before that you don't think we'll be challenging Man City or Man U or their ilk, so, surely aiming for European competition is your ambition?

Not selling your best players to Liverpool, Spurs and Villa would be a decent start, and backing your manager instead of pocketing the cash from the sales would help too. I've stated my case, and I'm sticking to it. The club is behaving like a selling club, and has been heading this way for 4 years. A one off european place, if achieved which is unlikely, is only an upward blip because the whole setup of the club is not conducive to achieve longer term high league positions and aim for those top spots and try to stay there.

I'm going to cherry pick the answer to my question and ignore the rest because I want to stay on message, if that's ok.

So, if we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress? Please feel free to keep your answer to one or two words.

Unfortunately, I don't think anybody can call anything progress until I see the club striving to keep its best players and back its manager instead of selling them and pocketing the cash.

my god, the wording of that sentence is mind boggling

you really have just said that no one can consider us as making progress until you're satisfied we are

you are actually insane

unfortunately, its completely sane and realistic. What it means, is look underneath the surface and beyond a small run of results, in essence. If you have any sort of idea at all about how a club that aims to be successful is set up, then it is easy enough to understand.

Progress is only, and only, seeing the club set up attempting to achieve it. Currently it is nothing of the kind, it has became a selling club that pockets the cash from the sale of its best players. If you think THAT is progress, it's you who is insane.

im not arguing that with you, what Im arguing is the assertion that you have got the only, single, sole valid opinion and that any that don't line up with it are inherently wrong simply by the virtue of not being yours

is it delusions or granduer, megalomania or narcissism?

my opinion is actually correct, and based on how the successful clubs have been successful in the entire history of the game. But try and write a spanking new blueprint for success if you can. Send it to The Owners, Old Trafford, Manchester and tell them how Alex Ferguson has been getting it wrong for 2 and a half decades and they could have had all that success at less than half the price.

Leazes, you've stated before that you don't think we'll be challenging Man City or Man U or their ilk, so, surely aiming for European competition is your ambition?

Not selling your best players to Liverpool, Spurs and Villa would be a decent start, and backing your manager instead of pocketing the cash from the sales would help too. I've stated my case, and I'm sticking to it. The club is behaving like a selling club, and has been heading this way for 4 years. A one off european place, if achieved which is unlikely, is only an upward blip because the whole setup of the club is not conducive to achieve longer term high league positions and aim for those top spots and try to stay there.

I'm going to cherry pick the answer to my question and ignore the rest because I want to stay on message, if that's ok.

So, if we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress? Please feel free to keep your answer to one or two words.

but we won't.

Fuck me! He's already got the upward blip ready in case we make Europe!!!

"fuck winning the FA Cup....,.."

Leazes, do you jump up and cheer excitedly when we score or remind all around you that scoring on it's own, isn't progression.

the people sitting next to me all follow my lead, do you spill your pint in front of the TV ?

but we won't.

We're talking hypothetically here.

Fuck me! He's already got the upward blip ready in case we make Europe!!!

"fuck winning the FA Cup....,.."

I've seen it all before lad. That's all it is, take it from me. Like 1976, an upward blip. We lost the manager to a big club, things went downhill, got relegated, promoted, sold 3 England players go Liverpool and Spurs, and didn't qualify for europe again for 18 years.

These sort of judgements are easy. The club is now being run on identical lines again to how the McKeags and Seymours etc ran it.

but we won't.

you will see.

but we won't.

you will see.

Why won't you answer the question?

but we won't.

you will see.

I have. As you said, it's hypothetical, therefore it's not something that has happened. And it won't.

but we won't.

you will see.

I have. As you said, it's hypothetical, therefore it's not something that has happened. And it won't.

No, you haven't. The question was (and I'll quote it so there's no confusion) "If we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress?"

You're response was to say that it won't happen, but that is not answering the question, it's avoiding it. Like if you were to ask me if I'd like to win Britain's Best Dressed Man award and I were to say it won't happen, I'm not answering the question. The answer is either "Yea I would like to win it" or "No I wouldn't like to win it" That's answering the question. What you're doing is avoiding the question.

So, I'll repeat the question "If we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress?"

Not spending money pretty much guarantees non-success though ;)

True dat. Our current lot seem intent on giving their manager as little help as possible. It's a combination of good coaching and scouting that's been behind our success this season and you can't rely on that forever when it's combined with paltry investment on players and flogging star players to balance the books.

Got to tip your hat to Wenger though with Arsenal at the bottom of that table. They haven't won owt in a while but they're still up there challenging every year.

Not spending money pretty much guarantees non-success though ;)

True dat. Our current lot seem intent on giving their manager as little help as possible. It's a combination of good coaching and scouting that's been behind our success this season and you can't rely on that forever when it's combined with paltry investment on players and flogging star players to balance the books.

Got to tip your hat to Wenger though with Arsenal at the bottom of that table. They haven't won owt in a while but they're still up there challenging every year.

You moaned when we backed our managers, now you moan when we don't.

Your username is the most apt username I've even seen on any message board.

Anyway, nice to see the Ashley apologists who don't put any money into the club, have all disappeared without answering some perfectly valid points.

As predictable as Mike Ashley's ambitions for the club, tbh.

Leazes slating someone for moaning too much? Brilliant. :D

I didn't moan when we had owners who backed their managers and achieved good league positions and european football more than any other club bar 4 others over a 15 year period as a result.

And stupidly insist that anybody would do better :icon_lol:

I hope someone comes along and insists they answer the questions. And this thread re-surfaces again in May, rather than November.

Edited by LeazesMag

but we won't.

you will see.

No, you haven't. The question was (and I'll quote it so there's no confusion) "If we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress?"

You're response was to say that it won't happen, but that is not answering the question, it's avoiding it. Like if you were to ask me if I'd like to win Britain's Best Dressed Man award and I were to say it won't happen, I'm not answering the question. The answer is either "Yea I would like to win it" or "No I wouldn't like to win it" That's answering the question. What you're doing is avoiding the question.

So, I'll repeat the question "If we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress?"

why on earth do you want to finish 7th every year ?

but we won't.

you will see.

why on earth do you want to finish 7th every year ?

Ok, I'll try again: "If we were to consistently achieve 7th spot in the league, you'd be happy to consider that progress?"

If nobody else hold him accountable, I fucking will

I'm the Paxman of toontastic, the Roger Cook, the David Frost... I'll get to the bottom of this or I'll make him look an arse, either way, I win.