***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

We are close at the minute, but realistically I would expect the top 4 to pull away as the going gets tough in the latter part of the season. I think we'll be left clinging on to 6/7th rather than powering into the top 4 spots.

You've managed to maintain a grip on realism since you got back, CT. Don't go back to carrying on like Odie again, please.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/6 is the goal this year now and that is 2/3 places above what we were expecting at the start of the season. That would be a very solid season and I'd be happy with that. I predicted 7th at the start and truth be told I'd be a little dissapointed with that now.

The squad isn't strong enough is the basic flaw and we've yet to really play any good football apart from in patches - many wins have been ground out.

There is a good base to build on now and if we keep the core of the side together and add a couple of players in the summer a CL push next term is more of a reality, but even then to stay in the top 4 will require a tranche of investment that I don't think Ashley has the stomach for.

To STAY in the top 4 requires 18 first team players that are interchangeble without a noticeable drop of quality, we have about 7 right now.

Edited by Park Life

February Fixtures

Chelsea

Man U (h)

Everton (a)

Bolton (h)

Newcastle

Aston Villa (h)

Tottenham (a)

Wolves (h)

Liverpool

Totenham (h)

Man U (a)

Everton (h)

Arsenal

Blackburn (h)

Sunderland (a)

Tottenham (h)

I think we have the best fixtures out of our close rivals so that come March 1st there is no reason why we still cant be in with a chance.

We could even be two points clear in fourth. :)

Then it really is any ones guess one happens next and will come down to bottle, nerve and lady luck etc.

And lets not forget all the other teams are still involved in cups so will have more games to concentrate on.

There's a chance, but do you actually think we will come 4th, CT? I reckon 6th/7th is much more realistic. That in itself would be fantastic (given expectations of course ;) ).

We've been over achieving all season CT. our squad doesn't have the strength of our rivals. Our success has been built on hard work, organisation and a fair bit of luck. The Blackburn game the other night wasn't the first lucky result we've had this season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we were still in this position in late April. I just can't see it happening. Lets put it in context - Top 6/7 would be a massive achievement given what most of us were predicting pre-season (lower to mid table).

It's not impossible, we're one point better off than Spurs were last year and they made a good run for the CL.

At the same time, Sunderland were sixth at this stage last year and ended up lucky to finish in the top half.

I've been expecting Arsenal and Chelsea to kick on for a while now but it just hasn't happened, if we have a big slice of luck with other results and our team play to their potential for the rest of the season then it is possible. Highly unlikely but there is a slim chance.

Edited by ewerk

We've been over achieving all season CT. our squad doesn't have the strength of our rivals. Our success has been built on hard work, organisation and a fair bit of luck. The Blackburn game the other night wasn't the first lucky result we've had this season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we were still in this position in late April. I just can't see it happening. Lets put it in context - Top 6/7 would be a massive achievement given what most of us were predicting pre-season (lower to mid table).

People said that when we came 4th under Robson but we came 3rd the year after. I know what you're getting at but if we beat Villa we'll be 5th after 24 games. Luck tends to even itself out over a period like that. You could say Blackburn were unlucky the other night but being able to take your chances is the most precious commodity in football. We've got players who can do that, hence why (along with the other things you mention) we've done so well. I don't think we'll come 4th though. Shame if we just miss out however as I think it could be a long time before we get a better chance. You just know the rest in and around us will strengthen come the summer. Especially Chelsea.

Aye but what about March, April & May? I agree that we'll be clinging on to the top 7 not pushing away from 5th. We have a patchwork team most games. Thankfully getting Tiote back will help and of course now having Ba and Cisse. Even if we did qualify (which we wont) we aren't good enough to compete and its no good saying the money would bolster the squad as we all know the answer to that one.

Dont see why not as this season has been so unpredicatable.

I would love CL football again, but I dont think it would be right tbh.

:huh: ??????????

If we got into the CL would you expect Fat Mike to spend cash? No. He will see us as achieving well on a shoestring budget. Playing CL and domestic football on an already threadbare squad wouldnt be good.

Unless we have a sudden crash of form, we are going to remain within touching distance all the way to the end.

As we have played some crap football and still achieved results, a crash of form would have to be pretty spectactular.

We'd have to get back to the form of the first 11 games. Can't see it.

Dont see why not as this season has been so unpredicatable.

I would love CL football again, but I dont think it would be right tbh.

:huh: ??????????

If we got into the CL would you expect Fat Mike to spend cash? No. He will see us as achieving well on a shoestring budget. Playing CL and domestic football on an already threadbare squad wouldnt be good.

That's a slightly pessimistic way to view CL football. ;)

There's a chance, but do you actually think we will come 4th, CT? I reckon 6th/7th is much more realistic. That in itself would be fantastic (given expectations of course ;) ).

Im not saying I do think we'll finish fourth, but Im in it for the hopes and dreams and surely as the season has gone on we have all kept having to up our expectations. Im sure lots thought our table slide would continue after November but it didnt and at the same time the other fourth place challengers have turned out so far to be not that great.

Whatever happens now it has been a great season and I feel we have definitely progressed again.

But while we are 3 points off fourth in February then I certainly dont think its unrealistic to have ambition of keeping it going a little longer.

Im not saying I do think we'll finish fourth, but Im in it for the hopes and dreams and surely as the season has gone on we have all kept having to up our expectations. Im sure lots thought our table slide would continue after November but it didnt and at the same time the other fourth place challengers have turned out so far to be not that great.

Whatever happens now it has been a great season and I feel we have definitely progressed again.

But while we are 3 points off fourth in February then I certainly dont think its unrealistic to have ambition of keeping it going a little longer.

So you don't think we'll finish fourth then? Is that what you're saying? ;)

So we won't finish fourth. I apologise for calling you delusional in that case.

No chance

So are you expecting a sudden drop in form by us or a sudden increase in form by someone else?

Done a little chart of our form (points total from the previous 6) as it progressed through the season for you....

formt.jpg

You're experiencing the high of that peak there,and getting a bit giddy. Remember the times at the bottom of that valley and proceed with caution.

Aye but what about March, April & May? I agree that we'll be clinging on to the top 7 not pushing away from 5th. We have a patchwork team most games. Thankfully getting Tiote back will help and of course now having Ba and Cisse. Even if we did qualify (which we wont) we aren't good enough to compete and its no good saying the money would bolster the squad as we all know the answer to that one.

First of all we are slowly assembling a decent squad. We have strengthened again in January and we will strengthen again in the summer. Wouldnt half help get a few transfers over the line if we could promise CL football.

Also without derailing into the usual LM fest, so far no money has been taken out of the club so I see no cert that suddenly he is going to pocket any CL money.

Mind not for a moment do I think he would derail our new fiscal set up based on one CL qualification and rightly so.

First of all we are slowly assembling a decent squad. We have strengthened again in January and we will strengthen again in the summer. Wouldnt half help get a few transfers over the line if we could promise CL football.

Also without derailing into the usual LM fest, so far no money has been taken out of the club so I see no cert that suddenly he is going to pocket any CL money.

Mind not for a moment do I think he would derail our new fiscal set up based on one CL qualification and rightly so.

How do you know this?

Unless we have a sudden crash of form, we are going to remain within touching distance all the way to the end.

As we have played some crap football and still achieved results, a crash of form would have to be pretty spectactular.

Cisse and Ba partnership, Marveaux coming back, Obertan a changed man, Ben Arfa?????

So you don't think we'll finish fourth then? Is that what you're saying? ;)

You know exactly what Im saying. :lol:

Cisse and Ba partnership, Marveaux coming back, Obertan a changed man, Ben Arfa?????

Jeez