***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

Leazes is spot on. After costs, profits from TV money, gate receipts, commercial deals, shirt sales and all that should be invested in the team on top of any money from other player sales, so that the total outlay on the pitch is greater than the income from it. That's how you get better quality, and achieve greater success. Simple.

It shouldn't go the other way. Player sales should not be relied upon or used to subsidise losses in other areas. Losses Ashley has worsened himself due to stupid decisions that resulted in relegation.

Similarly player purchases do need to be fully financed either by profits or affordable loans against assets. We as a club weren't showing the profits and didn't have the assetts to secure further loans for quite a while prior to Ashleys arrival.

Anyone looking at our finances can see that the decisions taken over the last 3 years mean that this seasons and next will be the healthiest set of books either of our owners oversaw in almost a decade. It remains to be seen whether this financial clout will be used to retain our best players and add to that excellent core team, to build a squad and sustain our current position.

Nothing so far this window suggests we won't. Just one more week to go before you have to say it's been a good one.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said I thought the strategy that we employed - that got us nearer the title than Spurs - was a good one to follow. Can't you read ?

Do you believe that strategy was sustainable?

15 years ?

How long is "sustainable". What an idiot.

I said I thought the strategy that we employed - that got us nearer the title than Spurs - was a good one to follow. Can't you read ?

Course it wasnt, thats why we ended up with players like Moore,Ramage,Onyewu,Sibierski etc and managers like Souness and Roeder. If it was sustainable we would have carried on signing top notch players and competing at the top, we didnt and it clearly wasnt a sustainable policy

15 years isn't "sustained" ? :icon_lol: And the massive growth during that time, the quality of players, the stadiums and competitions we played in, wasn't enjoyable ? What planet do you live on. Only a complete, utter idiot would scorn what happened during that time, unfortunately there are many that do.

15 years isn't "sustained" ? :icon_lol: And the massive growth during that time, the quality of players, the stadiums and competitions we played in, wasn't enjoyable ? What planet do you live on. Only a complete, utter idiot would scorn what happened during that time, unfortunately there are many that do.

No-on'es poured any scorn on that mate. Do you know what sustained means though? We hadn't finished in the top 4 in 4 years when Ashley bought us, with bottom half finishes as regular as top half.

If it was then when Ashley bought it we would have been in the top 4 and have a team full of glittering names at their peak, we were not and didnt have those players, my point is when the club was sold it was nowhere near where it was at its peak

No-on'es poured any scorn on that mate. Do you know what sustained means though? We hadn't finished in the top 4 in 4 years when Ashley bought us, with bottom half finishes as regular as top half.

nobody has said that it would last forever. Long term posters will recall I long advocated a more conservative approach to settle down and re-group again, as the first year or so of Bobby Robson. The difference is that, the old board DID re-group and push forward again, and it didn't need to sell its best players to do it and it came back and backed its managers again.

Mike Ashley will not do this.

Your last post is correct too by the way, the one supporting the statement that player sales should not be used in other areas of the club, for a club with the 14th biggest revenues in football. If this is now not the case, there is only one person to blame for falling revenues, and the need to sell our best players.

This, incidentally, makes NUFC a selling club, that has gone backwards, in spite of a small run of results on the pitch, which as I predicted at the end of last season, would likely fool a lot of idiotic people who cannot see the big picture due to their blind spot and irrational hatred of the best directors we have had in over 50 years.

If it was then when Ashley bought it we would have been in the top 4 and have a team full of glittering names at their peak , we were not and didnt have those players, my point is when the club was sold it was nowhere near where it was at its peak

go back and read the Beano, or whatever other comic you read. We never had that, even when we were in the Champions League, we did that through backing our managers and building on the good players we already had, not adopting a sell and replace policy like now.

Edited by LeazesMag

15 years ?

How long is "sustainable". What an idiot.

Could we have sustained making losses and borrowing from the banks until now?

UEFA REVEAL CLUBS' £1.3bn LOSSES

Europe's top-flight clubs have reported annual losses totalling a jaw-dropping 1.6billion euros (£1.3billion), UEFA's latest club licensing report has revealed.

The latest figures, for 2010, show overall losses from the leading leagues around the continent are up from 1.2billion euros (£1bn) the year before - a 36% rise.

UEFA's said there were some positive changes including a 6.6% rise in overall income, a small drop in the proportion of clubs' revenue going on players' wages, and an increase in the number of home-grown players in the Champions League.

The European governing body said the findings of the club licensing benchmarking report will take on "an increasing significance" with the financial fair play rules starting to be measured from this season and implemented for European competitions in the 2013/14 season.

A UEFA statement said: "The need for financial fair play measures and strong governance is strongly emphasised by the report findings.

"Whilst the level of losses was one of a number of warning signs that confirms the need for football to act, there were some improvements with the 64% percentage of income spent on employee costs, representing a small decrease on the previous year after four years of rising percentages."

nobody has said that it would last forever. Long term posters will recall I long advocated a more conservative approach to settle down and re-group again, as the first year or so of Bobby Robson. The difference is that, the old board DID re-group and push forward again, and it didn't need to sell its best players to do it and it came back and backed its managers again.

Your last post is correct too by the way, the one supporting the statement that player sales should not be used in other areas of the club, for a club with the 14th biggest revenues in football. If this is now not the case, there is only one person to blame for falling revenues, and the need to sell our best players.

This, incidentally, makes NUFC a selling club, that has gone backwards, in spite of a small run of results on the pitch, which as I predicted at the end of last season, would likely fool a lot of idiotic people who cannot see the big picture due to their blind spot and irrational hatred of the best directors we have had in over 50 years.

There's no irrational hatred. Just you harking back to it like your first bit of fanny, it might be the sweetest piece of fanny you ever had, but let it go. Whatever you say about sustainability, we weren't sustaining what we needed to for what we were laying out. In a decade before Ashley arrived we finished in the bottom half 60% of the time and averaged 10th...and yes, that's still the best we've had in 50 years and it was brilliant we'd done even better under Shepherd/Hall.

I also remain unconvinced by Ashley, but we're 6th in February. Don't be so bitter about that.

UEFA REVEAL CLUBS' £1.3bn LOSSES

Europe's top-flight clubs have reported annual losses totalling a jaw-dropping 1.6billion euros (£1.3billion), UEFA's latest club licensing report has revealed.

The latest figures, for 2010, show overall losses from the leading leagues around the continent are up from 1.2billion euros (£1bn) the year before - a 36% rise.

UEFA's said there were some positive changes including a 6.6% rise in overall income, a small drop in the proportion of clubs' revenue going on players' wages, and an increase in the number of home-grown players in the Champions League.

The European governing body said the findings of the club licensing benchmarking report will take on "an increasing significance" with the financial fair play rules starting to be measured from this season and implemented for European competitions in the 2013/14 season.

A UEFA statement said: "The need for financial fair play measures and strong governance is strongly emphasised by the report findings.

"Whilst the level of losses was one of a number of warning signs that confirms the need for football to act, there were some improvements with the 64% percentage of income spent on employee costs, representing a small decrease on the previous year after four years of rising percentages."

isn't this loss entirely down to NUFC under the Halls and Shepherd ?

Joking aside, this alone shows that we are in a totally different game these days. You can't just spend beyond your means as all top flight clubs have done in the past (more or less).

There's no irrational hatred. Just you harking back to it like your first bit of fanny, it might be the sweetest piece of fanny you ever had, but let it go. Whatever you say about sustainability, we weren't sustaining what we needed to for what we were laying out. In a decade before Ashley arrived we finished in the bottom half 60% of the time and averaged 10th...and yes, that's still the best we've had in 50 years and it was brilliant we'd done even better under Shepherd/Hall.

I also remain unconvinced by Ashley, but we're 6th in February. Don't be so bitter about that.

I want Ashley do start backing his manager HF, and adopt a build and retain policy, instead of adopting a sell and replace policy rather more than most on here, and I've got 1350 reasons for it.

"Irrational hatred" is a perfect quote, for many people who STILL blame Shepherd for bringing an end to decades of trophies and glory, and appear to think he's the anti-Christ, rather than a major person in a team who gave us by a million miles our best and most sustained performance and league results in over 50 years.

I want Ashley do start backing his manager HF, and adopt a build and retain policy, instead of adopting a sell and replace policy rather more than most on here, and I've got 1350 reasons for it.

"Irrational hatred" is a perfect quote, for many people who STILL blame Shepherd for bringing an end to decades of trophies and glory, and appear to think he's the anti-Christ, rather than a major person in a team who gave us by a million miles our best and most sustained performance and league results in over 50 years.

If you can't accept any of the facts I've pointed out, when I probably agree with you more than 99% of posters, you've got no hope.

You Shepherd obsessed WUMming loonpot. ;)

If you can't accept any of the facts I've pointed out, when I probably agree with you more than 99% of posters, you've got no hope.

I pointed out the facts before most people, I pointed out they were wrong to let Souness go on his wild spending/sales spree, and the vast majority disagreed with me, insisting that he would emerge as the new Alex Ferguson for also weeding out the "bad eggs" etc etc blah blah.

You simply can't say, however, that they would not have attempted to push on again, like they did after the few years of Bobby Robson, whereas Mike Ashley has not done this, and will not do it.

I've said it for long enough, I'm sticking by it. He has no desire to push for the top places. All he wants is a premiership club to sit alongside Sports Direct. If he does not make an operational profit then he will sell a player instead,and he will never back his managers and adopt a build, retain and improve policy, which is the ONLY way to succeed in football.

I pointed out the facts before most people, I pointed out they were wrong to let Souness go on his wild spending/sales spree, and the vast majority disagreed with me, insisting that he would emerge as the new Alex Ferguson for also weeding out the "bad eggs" etc etc blah blah.

You simply can't say, however, that they would not have attempted to push on again, like they did after the few years of Bobby Robson, whereas Mike Ashley has not done this, and will not do it.

I've said it for long enough, I'm sticking by it. He has no desire to push for the top places. All he wants is a premiership club to sit alongside Sports Direct. If he does not make an operational profit then he will sell a player instead,and he will never back his managers and adopt a build, retain and improve policy, which is the ONLY way to succeed in football.

I think we've got that. There's no confusion over your position. You will be able to say how right you were next time we're relegated.

I want us to win something to shut him up almost as much as I want us to win something.

I want to win something more than anybody, I'm 57. But I want us to be a progressive club too, I don't want us to win something and then get relegated,like the smoggies, Leicester etc, because eventually, all the selling clubs go down.

Guest CabayeAye

I want us to win something to shut him up almost as much as I want us to win something.

I want to win something more than anybody, I'm 57. But I want us to be a progressive club too, I don't want us to win something and then get relegated,like the smoggies, Leicester etc, because eventually, all the selling clubs go down.

So that explains why you're such a boring, senile, miserable old fart. Maybe it's time to cart you off to the home so you can mutter your shite opinions at the wall whilst everyone else just ignores you like the mad old man you are.

So that explains why you're such a boring, senile, miserable old fart. Maybe it's time to cart you off to the home so you can mutter your shite opinions at the wall whilst everyone else just ignores you like the mad old man you are.

:icon_lol:

have your short pants fell down in the playground or something ?