England team banned from wearing a poppy!

nufcboy

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five things Fifa should ban instead of poppies on England shirts

First it was bananas, now meddling Eurocrats are trying to get their hands on our poppies. Here are the five things that they should really be looking to ban…

poppy_2050638c.jpg

Our boys: a sight to send meddling FIFA officials mad with rage Photo: Acion images

alan-tyers_1911463j.jpg

By Alan Tyers

12:53PM GMT 09 Nov 2011

comments.gifComments

Posies

Insensitive coaching flop Fabio Capello is planning "to wear a special flower on his lapel” to mark the wedding of his son, which he will be missing because it clashes with Saturday’s match. The Italian, who has repeatedly failed to win the World Cup despite having a team overflowing with world-class footballers, reportedly plans to sport a foreign, suspiciously perfumed flower like a cyclamen or a bougainvillea. Fifa must act swiftly to ensure that the lapel of the England manager is unsullied by a fancy Mediterranean bloom.

Patriotic Performances

England fans have frequently expressed their displeasure at other countries’ national anthems by booing throughout them – exercising the democratic right to protest that our grandfathers fought for. And yet still Fifa insist on subjecting English football crowds to pompous foreign cacophonies glorifying the actions of tinpot moustachioed generals. It is no exaggeration to say that the playing of provocative Iberian anthem La Marcha Real on Saturday would be a direct, deliberate insult to our war dead, and it should be replaced instead by a minute’s defiant jeering.

Passing

It is typical of Fifa’s disrespect for English traditions that they sneer at our national football culture of hoofing the ball up to the big lad, shouting, drinking lager at half-time and having sex with each other’s girlfriends in favour of technocratic, cowardly “passing”. That Fifa awarded the 2010 World Cup to Spain instead of England is a direct slight to the culture and beliefs of the country that invented the game. Only an immediate ban on passes of less than 75 yards will honour the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice at Ypres (1915) El Alamein (1942), and Bloemfontein (2010).

Players

Typically, Fifa have bent over backwards for Spain by allowing them to field a team of 11 men who are good at football while the home side must make-do-and-mend without heroes Rooney (left out while England work out how to get along without him) and Terry (left out because he can’t get along with other players). Only the permanent banning of other nation’s top stars can ensure the sort of fair contest that this country stood up and was counted for.

Popeye

While Fifa thumbs its nose at British Naval heroes, it has made no attempt to curtail the activities of well-known foreigner Popeye, a notorious user of performance-enhancing substances who shuns traditional British monounsaturated fats in favour of continental muck olive oil. Only swift action by fellow ridiculous cartoon figure Sepp Blatter can restore the credibility of the global game: Fifa must ban Popeye now.

Isn't the EDL a movement formed by a convicted football hooligan?

I hope the Daily Mail are so proud. It's a ridiculous carry on tbh. made all the worse because Cameron has jumped on the bandwagon.

Isn't the EDL a movement formed by a convicted football hooligan?

I hope the Daily Mail are so proud. It's a ridiculous carry on tbh. made all the worse because Cameron has jumped on the bandwagon.

Aye, he is....

Two members of the English Defence League climbed onto the roof of FIFA's headquarters in Zurich with a banner protesting against the ban.

A FIFA spokesman confirmed the protest is ongoing and that Swiss police were in attendance.

The two protesters displayed a banner with two poppies on which read: "English defence League. How dare FIFA disrespect our war dead and wounded. Support out troops."

The incident will come as something of an embarrassment to the FA given that the EDL are a far-right group whose founder Stephen Lennon was convicted in July of leading a street brawl with 100 football fans.

Lennon, a father of three from Luton, was sentenced to a 12-month community rehabilitation order, 150 hours of unpaid work and given a three-year football banning order.

A spokesman for 'Hope not hate', an anti-EDL campaign group, said: "It's a little hypocritical of the EDL to be leading this protest given that their leader Stephen Lennon is a convicted football hooligan. It is important that neither the symbol of the poppy nor the Three Lions of England are appropriated by extremists of the EDL."

doing English football the world of good, this is. :rolleyes:

Ant hits on a relevant point. 12 months ago we played France at Wembley close to 11th November. Yet we didn't wear a poppy on the shirt, nor was there any campaign for it.

Poppies can now be warn on the black arm bands :lol: What a fucking farce. All of you just dismissing it as the Daily Mail trying to drum up a non story, are either anti-British, Irish, both or seeking and contriving an alternative view to common sense. Still I'd like to know why they're allowed on the armband and not the shirt.

Poppies can now be warn on the black arm bands :lol: What a fucking farce. All of you just dismissing it as the Daily Mail trying to drum up a non story, are either anti-British, Irish, both or seeking and contriving an alternative view to common sense. Still I'd like to know why they're allowed on the armband and not the shirt.

Presumably because there isn't a corresponding rule about armbands.

This whole thing all felt vaguely distateful to me even before the EDL added their steaming turd. It's not been problem for the last 90 years and feels as if it's got more to do with being seen to do the right thing, rather than doing the right thing for the right reason.

True story - My dad was injured in the war and hospitalised. He told a visiting general's wife that his injury was caused by a shell. She then became so gushing that he never got chance to clarify that his septic foot was caused by standing on a broken shellfish.

This whole thing all felt vaguely distateful to me even before the EDL added their steaming turd. It's not been problem for the last 90 years and feels as if it's got more to do with being seen to do the right thing, rather than doing the right thing for the right reason.

True story - My dad was injured in the war and hospitalised. He told a visiting general's wife that his injury was caused by a shell. She then became so gushing that he never got chance to clarify that his septic foot was caused by standing on a broken shellfish.

Surprised she didn't winkle it out of him, guess he must have clammed up

It was purely the Daily Mail on the windup, the sad thing is that so many idiots have been sucked in by it.

Surprised she didn't winkle it out of him, guess he must have clammed up

:rimshot:

Due to loss of mussel, walks with a limpet now , and as a result lived as a hermit.

It was purely the Daily Mail on the windup, the sad thing is that so many idiots have been sucked in by it.

Indeed more fool fifa for caving to this nonsense , what an utter waste of energy this has been and if it hadn't have been such a slow news week it'd never have surfaced., and ironically i'd be amazed if half the people going nuts about it (the general sky sports mob) have the slightest clue about it's meaning or the history involved with it.

Just something to whinge about and a bandwagan to jump on to do the "but we're english!!!" bit.

Slow news week??

The euro is about to collapse and unemployment in the UK is closing in on 3m.....Oh wait...

just read what stevie actually posted, no harm but that second sentence is one of the stupidest things i've ever read on here, what in the name of fuck does being irish or anything else have to do with it? they were world wars it wasn't just fecking England involved, so step of the soapbox.

You not got any more Louis avatars lying around? ;)