England team banned from wearing a poppy!

nufcboy

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fifa is based in Switzerland, which profited from its neutrality during the Second World War.

for fucks sake, the daily mail folks

to be fair to fifa, they have clear rules on the subject, its not based on some dislike of england or disrespect to those who have served

its a stupid rule but a rule nontheless

Edited by Semimental

just seen a lass on twitter asking warren barton what he thinks about the subject and that fifa are doing this because they think the poppys will offend people

some people are utter fucking mugs

You'll be surprised to know I think the Poppy appeal/fascism is a load of shite but at the same time I think FIFA should be shot for this - saying it's "political" is ludicrous.

As others have said I'd let the team wear it and then pay the fine (but donate it to charity otherwise it'll just go into the pockets of the fuckers).

Getting thoroughly tired of the poppy fascism in this country tbh, but it's still a bit of a petty thing for FIFA to do if true.

Prick

Let's be honest though, the poppy means absolutely fuck-all once the likes of sports teams feel compelled to have it incorporated into their shirts as standard "because that's just what you do". What's the point of it if you're basically discouraged from actually thinking about what it stands for and what your attitude towards it is? It ends up being just another logo on a bit of corporate kit, and that's not right.

Guest CabayeAye

Getting thoroughly tired of the poppy fascism in this country tbh, but it's still a bit of a petty thing for FIFA to do if true.

Prick

Let's be honest though, the poppy means absolutely fuck-all once the likes of sports teams feel compelled to have it incorporated into their shirts as standard "because that's just what you do". What's the point of it if you're basically discouraged from actually thinking about what it stands for and what your attitude towards it is? It ends up being just another logo on a bit of corporate kit, and that's not right.

No, you're just being a prick. Calling it fascism is grotesquely offensive to the veterans who gave their lives for YOU.

Prick

No, you're just being a prick. Calling it fascism is grotesquely offensive to the veterans who gave their lives for YOU.

It's really not. But they fought for my right to be a prick too, so hey, it's all good.

If the Nazis had won, you'd have been gassed for being a prick.

Which is ironic, since thinking that the poppy campaign has been misappropriated and its true message lost somewhat over recent years means I secretly wish the Nazis had won. Gosh, this is confusing.

Guest CabayeAye

Which is ironic, since thinking that the poppy campaign has been misappropriated and its true message lost somewhat over recent years means I secretly wish the Nazis had won. Gosh, this is confusing.

The current message is for ex-soldiers. Do you not think that they should have their own charity organisation like?

The current message is for ex-soldiers. Do you not think that they should have their own charity organisation like?

I'd say it's far more of a grey area since we got rid of conscription.

Guest CabayeAye

I'd say it's far more of a grey area since we got rid of conscription.

So you're saying all those blokes missing limbs and other body parts don't deserve any help because they volunteered to serve? The same way as the veterans of The Second World War were all volunteers too?

Don't be a dick.

Joining the Army now, as a career choice, and conscription/volunteering during WW1&2 are two utterly different things.

I wear a Poppy each year, in remembrance of the ordinary men and women who died serving in the above wars.

I dont donate to charities such as Help for Heroes as I believe that;

1: Its the responsibility of the Govt. to look after injured servicemen.

2: They chose to sign up.

If you do a dangerous job, part of it is accepting that you may be disabled or killed.

I support the poppy campaign each year but if somebody isn't wearing one that's nothing to do with me - it's a personal thing - statistically the majority of indigenous europeans will have family that perished in the wars but whether they choose to honour that is up to them. I put a lot of it down to ignorance but I'm not one to get militant about it.

However Meenzer I think the term fascism in regards to poppies is a little off key, but then I guess it was supposed to be! ;)

Guest CabayeAye

Although I agree that if you live by the sword, you die by the sword, there are cases where someone who is seriously injured will require extensive and expensive care for the rest of their lives.

Yes, the government should pay this, will they? No they won't.

Young lads who join the Army know that they risk being killed or maimed, but there is also the expectation that if you get shot/blown up someone will pull you out and make sure that afterwards you get a stairlift fitted and a free sponge on a stick provided, otherwise you might as well just be a mercenary.

Agree 100% with the Help for Heroes thing as opposed to poppies. I think that injured soldiers do deserve better treatment. But I think there's MUCH bigger causes than giving our charity money to Western men who signed up knowing that what they were doing was a condition of the job. Children who don't have any opportunities/diseases etc are all much more important causes, knowing that they had the option to do another career choice etc means I don't like the Help for Heroes fascists (these are much worse than poppy people). I bought a poppy today off some 80 year old ex servicemen and think that the Poppy Appeal is important, but people over-romanticise modern soldiers (ie everytime someone dies you'll get a facebook status saying "Why are people caring about 'insert name here' when our soldiers are dying overseas!") as if a soldier death is worse than a civilian death and that there are ranks of death... Also i'm not too sure whether I want a poppy worn against Spain, if it was a nation that was in the World Wars there should be a mutual remembrance about it but it's just playing against a nation that had nothing to do with it makes it seem a bit...weird. Surely they can just donate money to the Poppy Appeal without having to have one on their shirts in a friendly match!?

How many times do you hear the phrase 'an insult to those that laid/lay down their lives' these days? If our armed services were anywhere as near as sensitive as people speaking on their behalf are then our country would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Fifa is based in Switzerland, which profited from its neutrality during the Second World War.

for fucks sake, the daily mail folks

to be fair to fifa, they have clear rules on the subject, its not based on some dislike of england or disrespect to those who have served

its a stupid rule but a rule nontheless

Bit rich from a paper sympathetic to the Nazis. Nice to see Fifa tackling the big issues in the game too.