Has Pardew got the right mentality into the players ?

south_cheshire_toon

From another post (Stoke vs Newcastle):-

"Every single one of the lads last night GRAFTED like fuck. You have to do that at teams like Stoke. But its not just Stoke we have done it. Were doing it at all the games now. We loose the ball and we have 2 or 3 players around the ball trying to win it."

The Stoke game was only my second 'live' toon game, the previous was the 4-0 last year to them, and I must say the difference between the two was amazing.

Going on last night's performance, the teams work rate was fantastic, there seemed to be an air of "all for one and one for all."

Which was highlighted in the celebration after the second goal, with Taylor's 'talk' to Ba. It would be nice if someone could lip read and see what he said to him.

But with all of this in mind do you think that Pardew has now got the players believing in themselves, not to an extent of being over confident ( this happened I think in the Blackburn Cup game ) but as much as "if we play to the best of our abilties then nothing is impossible".

If we carry on as we are, and of course we're bound to lose here and there, but, if against the top 6 we can pull out draws then I think the teams positivity will only grow and nothing bad can come of that.

But, if there are a few too many defeats then Pardew will have his work cut out for him.

Thoughts ?

Aye, credit where it's due. Pardew has them all playing for each other which isn't just about all being mates, it's about the players having faith in the manager and what he is trying to do. In football terms at least, players aren't thick and they can sniff out a manager / coach who doesn't know what he's doing.

credit to pardew and the players. this is one of the best drilled, motivated and organised sides i can remember. he's had fuck all to spend so you have to admire how he's done it but you can't put a price on the spirit and the attitude of the players.

i questioned whether pardew could sustain the never say die fighting spirit that emerged under hughton but tbf to him, it seems to be even better now. plus our defensive organisation and the speed of which we are closing players down is as good as it's ever been. you can hide the lack of quality flair players if you have these other attributes.

the one thing that i think will bite us on the arse - and the reason why our position is a false one - is the lack of depth in the squad. one of the key factors in our success has been a settled starting 11. injuries to key players and our options on the bench don't look that clever. that said, we have some quality waiting in the wings but we're desperately short in some areas.

Edited by Dr Gloom

On the spirit I thought it was what was carried over from Houghton with Nolan etc. Seems thats very much not the case. I expected the spirit to dwindle but if anything it has improved even further.

You can spend hundreds of millions on players but not have them playing together or have massive ego's to contend with. While we might not have the £20M+ players we do have the spirit which like you say you cant buy.

Fair play and credit to them for this like.

I also agree our weakness is the squad depth. It's looking stronger than it has and it will be interesting to see if we do go for the forward and even a second player (at the back)

Its great to see a bunch of lads together like this. Its got to have a positive effect. I am in the same thought of JawD. I though CH had brought the lads together and Barton and Nolan were the main men in that. It may of carried on even without them being here, but I do think Pardew likes to think he is jack the lad and gets stuck in at training.

2-3 more additions in key areas and I would be more relaxed. At the moment we have a threadbare squad and an injury to key personnel could smash any hope of a really good league finish. Its a long old season and so far, so good.

Fair call on Guthrie. I think thats the best game I've seen him play for us. We didn't really miss Tiote that much in the middle and Guthrie/Cabaye seemed to work quite well despite them being similar types of player.

On the team spirit, there is obviously something to it. That spirit has led to us drawing or even winning games we would have lost in the past. In saying that though the true test of spirit will come when we actually do lose a couple of games in the league. I have high hopes though, there is something different about us this year. We have been through patches of good form before but this side seems to have more resolve. And that holds us in good steed.

Unfortunately, and rightly, though the main concern is of course the lack of depth. Especially up front and at the back. One injury to a centre back and we're in trouble or an injury to Ba and we're in trouble.

On Ba. When does the ACN start?

Looking really good so far this season. Long may it continue.

Interestingly, there seemed to be a lot of suggestions that with Nolan and Barton going the spirit in the team would disappear. In fact, the opposite seems to be the case. Instead of an us and them situation, which seems to have been the case, it is now just "us". That certainly seems to have been the nature of the interviews given by players who would perhaps not have been in the gang in the last couple of years (Colo, Guti, Saylor etc)

Who'd have put their money on Staylor winning the power struggle at NUFC when he was eating meals through a straw while Carrol and bezzy mate Nolan were banging in the goals?

Mebeez Pardew doesn't like bullies, piss-heads, coke-heads, shaggers etc. It's a pretty boring lot we're left with apart from Ranger. Hopefully he'll be on his way soon and we'll have a squad of fence creosoters.

Edited by Happy Face

Who'd have put their money on Staylor winning the power struggle at NUFC when he was eating meals through a straw while Carrol and bezzy mate Nolan were banging in the goals?

Mebeez Pardew doesn't like bullies, piss-heads, coke-heads, shaggers etc. It's a pretty boring lot we're left with apart from Ranger. Hopefully he'll be on his way soon and we'll have a squad of fence creosoters.

Probably why they were both sold. I forgot about the cocaine at Nolan's house.

Probably why they were both sold. I forgot about the cocaine at Nolan's house.

:lol:

I hate to mention the obvious but maybe Ashley's pay them low wages and high performance based bonuses is also a great motivator - something both Nolan and Barton were against in their next contract negotiations.

edit: That said if it is working after some of the money grabbing lazy twats the club has had over the years then more power to it.

Edited by sammynb

I hate to mention the obvious but maybe Ashley's pay them low wages and high performance based bonuses is also a great motivator - something both Nolan and Barton were against in their next contract negotiations.

edit: That said if it is working after some of the money grabbing lazy twats the club has had over the years then more power to it.

Stevie Taylor seems to agree it's more down to Delboy than Pardoo...

Although a disagreement over bonus payments started the dispute, Llambias’ reputation was further battered by the fact two of the most influential players in the squad blamed him for failing to offer them the terms they wanted.

Now they have gone, Llambias is not only welcome company for the players, he even gets involved with team building exercises.

“There was a separation between the squad and chairman [managing director], but the main focus now is he’s been straight on our side from day one, since before pre-season,” said Taylor, who will play against Stoke wearing a protective mask to shield a broken nose.

“He keeps everyone together, he sorted out the problem we had with bonuses, he leaves the gaffer to do his job and there’s been no hassles, nothing at all.

“We’ve been for meals when the chairman has come along as well. That just shows the togetherness now that we have as a club.

“The dressing room has always been very strong, but you can’t be split in different areas of the club. The amount of times things have been leaked over the years, but everything feels like how it should be now.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/8858856/Newcastle-United-have-their-sights-on-Europe-as-Stoke-City-offer-latest-test-to-their-staying-power.html

Edited by Happy Face