Demba Ba - Number 9

KeithJ

I think Ba has been nothing short of impressive for us now that he is in gear. He seems full of running, willing to give everything, can finish and always looking for the goal. The other important thing is mentally he knows he has been realistic in knowing that we havent done anything yet in the first 10 games and needs to keep going.

I personally think that if he keeps on going we should give him the number 9 shirt next season as a reward for his good form and its also an incentive for him to stay as well. I can think of other number 9's who werent worthy like him to wear it, a certain Oba Martins.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Ba, but as soon as we give him the no. 9 shirt his knees will explode.

Beat me to it :lol:

Are you actually trying to get the lad injured in the OP? ;)

The forced mysticism of the number 9 is getting a little much. Hopefully some one will pick it up next Summer. 2 years with it being vacant would be ridiculous.

Would have had no problem with Best getting it this year if he wanted it.

Won't happen folks . He's really superstitious about having the No. 19 shirt .

Saw an interview with him when he signed and was actually coy as to his reasons why he opts for 19 .

Just how he goes about his business I guess

Edited by LoveTheBobby

The forced mysticism of the number 9 is getting a little much. Hopefully some one will pick it up next Summer. 2 years with it being vacant would be ridiculous.

You can't apply value to the shirt in the same post as you remove value from it.

I love that the #9 Newcastle shirt is revered and wouldn't diminish it by giving it to anyone but a legend.

You can't apply value to the shirt in the same post as you remove value from it.

I love that the #9 Newcastle shirt is revered and wouldn't diminish it by giving it to anyone but a legend.

A legend such as Martins for instance?....

I think Shola should be given it for the rest of his contract. Loves the club, we're the only silly fuckers to keep giving him contracts. But that aside, he's been here longer than anyone now Stevie Taylor's looking like he's removed himself from the (team) picture. And above all he would truly appreciate and understand the gesture.

A legend such as Martins for instance?....

I think Shola should be given it for the rest of his contract. Loves the club, we're the only silly fuckers to keep giving him contracts. But that aside, he's been here longer than anyone now Stevie Taylor's looking like he's removed himself from the (team) picture. And above all he would truly appreciate and understand the gesture.

I wouldn't have given it to Martins either. Also, what do you mean by the bit in Bold?

Edited by The Fish

Think he's right though. He's saying that it would be daft for it to be vacant for two seasons and the only reason it would be left vacant again would be that there is a disproportionate significance applied to the number. That's not to denigrate the 'legendary number 9s' of the past but perhaps we do talk about it too much (a bit like how great our support is) because we have precious little in the form of tangible success to crow about.

Zamblera should get the no. 9

Don't think it will happen as he's not at the club anymore...

Adam Campbell?

GIve it to Phil Airey.

Give it to the fans.

Our shortlist is coming along nicely. I'm adding Sammy Ameobi and Samuel Adjei, i.e. Sammy & Sammy. Future lethal duo that.

Edited by hostile_statue

I love the fact that the number has meaning too. But on its own it's just a number, only when put on someone's back can it potentially become legendary. With nobody ever wearing it there's no chance. We've had crappy forwards, and I'm sure had crappy number nines too.

I just feel it's a shame to wait until someone has a good/great season to then give it to them when they could have been wearing it all along.