Halloween Traditions

Jan

Just had a conversation in the office about what we did as kids on Halloween.

All but one person looked at me like I had grown a second head when I said we hollowed out turnips instead of pumpkins (not really around in the late 70's-early 80's) and took them out trick or treating.

Was this just a north east thing? My southern mate up for the Spurs match also had no idea why we used turnips.

I do remember my Mam wouldn't give me a knife and they were hell to hollow out with a spoon!

Just had a conversation in the office about what we did as kids on Halloween.

All but one person looked at me like I had grown a second head when I said we hollowed out turnips instead of pumpkins (not really around in the late 70's-early 80's) and took them out trick or treating.

Was this just a north east thing? My southern mate up for the Spurs match also had no idea why we used turnips.

I do remember my Mam wouldn't give me a knife and they were hell to hollow out with a spoon!

Never heard of that mate, but then again my parents were miserable gits and closed the curtains, didn't answer the door to trick or treaters and refused to let me go out and trick or treat.

So I'm probably not the best judge lol

Aye, it was always turnips (or snazzies) as a kid. You only ever saw pumpkins lanterns on TV and then it was normally American. I was talking about this recently to a mate as it happens. I would also say Bonfire Night was a much bigger deal than Halloween as a bairn. It seems to be the other way round now.

Always turnips when I was a kid. The first time I ever bought a pumpkin was 2 years ago for the bairns first hallowe'en, and only because they were right inside the door at Asda..

Turnips! :lol:

Never hollowed out a pumpkin or gone trick-or-treating in my life. Load of shite tbh. Although since I live in suburbia all the little buggers come round with their shite generic Asda costumes. I'd like to call their bluff - none of them will have a clue what the trick part means and their parents go round with them anyway. Best was one halloween when I dressed up as Scream (back in the video days) and answered the door like that and gave them a scare.

Nowadays I'll don a costume and go on a night out with some friends.

aye we always had turnips over here, couldn't really get a big pumpkin back then handily like, now withhow tesco and sainsburys etc are setup you could get anything ye want to hollow out

love Halloween though, fav holiday by miles, first year in ages i'm not doing anything :(

Always found it a bit odd when I was in Norn Iron that you had adults who were bang into it like. It's strictly a kid's thing over here. Well kids and kerayzee students anyway.

It was always turnips round ours, though we never bothered because it really wasn't worth the hassle. My friend's dad would usually do a few anyway. Usually did a spot of apple bobbing and went trick or treating, but mainly round the decent old biddies in our estate as they'd do home baked cakes etc. rather than bags of rubbish sweets or pennies.

The first time I carved a pumpkin was on a high school youth hostel trip and not only was it a bit of a crap way to spend "free time", the fucking thing stank.

Aye, it was always turnips (or snazzies) as a kid. You only ever saw pumpkins lanterns on TV and then it was normally American. I was talking about this recently to a mate as it happens. I would also say Bonfire Night was a much bigger deal than Halloween as a bairn. It seems to be the other way round now.

same for us, Bonfire night was always a much bigger deal, we'd have the entire street stockpiling pallets and scrap wood for months and build a colossal one on the field behind the houses, get some good fireworks and a BBQ, it was ace!

We are mean and cruel here and dismantle bonfires before they can even light them. Right up and including bonfire night. Booooooooooooo Hisssssssssssssssssssssss.

If you're stuck for a costume for Halloween just pour tomato sauce on yourself and go as Colonel Gaddafi.

:lol:

I remember one Bonfire night when I was about 15 we acquired some lengths of drainpipe and made bazookas with the dodgy rockets we'd been buying from Westmoor VG.

Also baked spuds on the bonfire. Fucking rank usually.

If you're stuck for a costume for Halloween just pour tomato sauce on yourself and go as Colonel Gaddafi.

:lol:

I remember one Bonfire night when I was about 15 we acquired some lengths of drainpipe and made bazookas with the dodgy rockets we'd been buying from Westmoor VG.

Also baked spuds on the bonfire. Fucking rank usually.

VG :lol: Forgot aal aboot that.

And aye, fish out the baked spuds, probably getting mild burns in the process for a dry, overcooked tetty. Some traditions are best left to die tbh.

Also remember that half-term before Bonfire Night, a.k.a. 'Blackberry Week' we used to be always making little bonfires on waste ground around Burry. Police used to come and make us put them out. Strange recreational pursuit in retrospect.