Favorite Game While Growing Up?

Jan

Used to play kickball at school.

played against a flat wall with a tennis ball and you took it turns to take a shot. Kick the ball against the wall and you scored a point if the other person couldn't hit the wall from where the ball landed. Used to try scoring shots from as far out as the car park. :lol:

SPOT - same but with a football

Aye I remember playing that. If you couldn't hit the wall with one kick you got an 'S' then the second time you were 'SP', etc all the way up until you spelled the work SPOT and you were out of the game.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it but there was another one where you split the teams equally but there was only one goal and one keeper. Have to play an attacking and defending game at the same time.

Sounds like what we called 'World Cup' round wor way or sometimes called 'three pots in'

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

played against a flat wall with a tennis ball and you took it turns to take a shot. Kick the ball against the wall and you scored a point if the other person couldn't hit the wall from where the ball landed. Used to try scoring shots from as far out as the car park. :lol:

Aye I remember playing that. If you couldn't hit the wall with one kick you got an 'S' then the second time you were 'SP', etc all the way up until you spelled the work SPOT and you were out of the game.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of it but there was another one where you split the teams equally but there was only one goal and one keeper. Have to play an attacking and defending game at the same time.

Sounds like what we called 'World Cup' round wor way or sometimes called 'three pots in'

We played that and just called it "Cups"

Anyone remember Domino Rally?

Fuck me if there was ever a game to annoy the fuck out of you, that was it!

2 hours setting it up only for you to realise you've screwed up the spacing half way round

I had domino rally. Looked mint on the advert, but was a crushing disappointment in reality.

In Primary school lots of cricket was played. A little bit of soccer. IN high school there was pleanty of basketball and some Grid Iron in the first couple of years, then lots of touch football still with basketball, and then in the last couple of years football (soccer) still with a supplement of basketball.

At home I was big on the Lego and Masters of the Universe. Dabbled in GI Joe, Ninja Turtles and the like. First video games were on an Apple IIe, the likes of Karateka, Lode Runner, Choplifter ones that immediately spring to mind. Also played a fair bit of Commodore 64 with cousins. Then went on to Nintendo with all the Mario Bros games (3 being the favourite). Along came the PC and played lots of games on that Wolfenstein, Lakers vs Celtics, Doom , Microspore F1 all stand out. Then way too much of this Basketball game called TV Sports basketball. Mix in some PSX with Internation Superstar Soccer (PES precursor) Gran Turismo 1 & 2. Started big on Pro Evolution with a couple of mates around PES2 on PS2. But then I've gone pretty far, but I'd say still growing up, even to this day.

played against a flat wall with a tennis ball and you took it turns to take a shot. Kick the ball against the wall and you scored a point if the other person couldn't hit the wall from where the ball landed. Used to try scoring shots from as far out as the car park. :D

That was it - World Cup! :)

We used to play World Cup as well, just because for a while there was only one goal on the field at school!

Just reminded me that one year at school some knackers managed to snap the crossbars on both football goals so for a couple of months we were playing football with the rugby posts with a bit of rope tied against each post to act as the crossbar :lol:

The key to World Cup (or Cuppas in da hood) was to conserve energy. Let the kids with disco pants who thought they were class run round the pitch and get knackered while you watch then strike while they dead on their feet. Not goal mooching by the way, that was poor form.

I can think of two games I played that I have not seen mentioned.

First, Me and three friends, tennis court, & a football. Play just like tennis minus the racquet. Drop kick to serve.

Second, For this game you needed to pick two trees with plenty of open space between them, one dodgeball , and 5 or more a side. Kick the ball in the air to a teammate. After they collected the ball they could take two steps and then they kicked it in the air. Continue this until you neared your tree. Once you were in the area of your tree you threw the ball at a teammates head. They would then try to head the ball towards the tree. If it made contact you received a point. If you missed you kept trying until the other team got the ball. If they got it they would make their way towards their tree. First to eleven points won. We did not have a name for this game but have since seen it referred to as "Buddha Ball".

(Still have my old Commodore and Atari.)