Steve Jobs

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept: No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs, 2005 - shortly after his diagnosis with pancreatic cancer.

We could all learn something from his vision. RIP.

"I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept: No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs, 2005 - shortly after his diagnosis with pancreatic cancer.

We could all learn something from his vision. RIP.

Don't wish to sound a discordant note, but I find that a bit pompous and trite. Perhaps if I get some of his money I can reinvent myself listening to my inner voice and not my iPod.

I think that unless you've actually been diagnosed with an incurable disease that no-one knows what your inner voice would be saying, but fair point. His billion dollar bank balance is no good to him now.

R.I.P.

He wasn't on the level of Edison or Einstein, as Michael Bloomberg suggests but he made an important contribution to the technology industry. Though the reaction of some has been predictably OTT.

"In my mind there is no difference between him and a Pasteur," said Chitra Abdolzadeh, a healthcare worker in Cupertino, in reference to French chemist Louis Pasteur.

Ben Chess, 29, an engineer at an Internet company and a former Apple intern, drove to the Apple HQ from San Francisco after work to lay a bunch of flowers. "It's the right thing to do," he said.

Jobs, who died on Wednesday aged 56, overturned the way users browse the Internet by giving them the iPod, iPhone and iPad. He had stepped down as chief executive of the world's largest technology company in August.

Computer fans in China seemed particularly moved.

"I came here to see how they'll operate on the first day after they had lost Steve Jobs," Jin Yi, 27, said in China's biggest Apple store in Shanghai, which opened last month.

"I also came here to mourn in my own way. It is such a pity today. He created these gadgets that changed people's perceptions of machines. But he did not manage to witness the last step in which, through his gadgets, people's lives can be effectively fused with these machines."

FLOWERS, GREETING CARDS, FLIERS

In Hong Kong, Charanchee Chiu laid a single sunflower and white rose in front of the city centre Apple store.

"I am sad. I think he should have lived longer," he said, acknowledging that he had sent messages to Jobs to advise him on health and Tai Chi, the Chinese form of martial arts reputed to improve practitioners' well-being.

At the downtown San Francisco Apple store, people held pictures of Jobs aloft on iPads and taped greeting cards and post-it notes to the store window saying "thank you Steve" and "I hate cancer." Candles and red apples were placed outside.

Store employee Cory Moll described Jobs as a personal inspiration. "We're lucky to have had him for as long as we did," said Moll, holding an iPad displaying a quote in memorial to Jobs.

"What he's done for us as a culture, it resonates uniquely in every person. Even if they never use an Apple product, the impact they have had is so far-reaching."

Across the country in New York City, an impromptu memorial made from fliers featuring pictures of Jobs was erected outside a 24-hour Apple store on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue, with mourners snapping photos of it on their iPhones.

"We will miss you Steve, RIP. Thank you for your vision," read one flier.

Business professor Gary Hamel said he left for the store as soon as he found out about Jobs' death.

"As soon as I heard the news, I came out to this Apple store to pay my respects," he said, clutching the power cord he had just bought inside. "I saw tears in some people's eyes."

Outside an Apple store in New York's SoHo neighborhood, two men laid candles, bouquets of flowers, an apple and, for a while, placed an iPod Touch on the ground.

At a Boston store, student Angelos Nicolaou said Jobs had "inspired us to be rebels and challenge the status quo. I hope there will be more leaders like him. It seems like the world is running out of them."

In Sydney, Australia, lawyer George Raptis, who was five years old when he first used a Macintosh computer, made his way to the glass-panelled Apple store when he heard the news.

"He's changed the face of computing," he said. "There will only ever be one Steve Jobs."

Some of those who flocked to Apple stores when they heard of Jobs' passing were thinking of Apple's future without its co-founder. The company named Tim Cook as its new CEO at the end of August when Jobs stepped down.

"They had a lot of time to prepare for the transition," said Guilherme Ferraz, 44, a Brazilian businessman outside a Manhattan Apple store. "Tim Cook will continue his legacy.

;)

Might seem a bit Park-esque but the announcement of his death only a day after the launch of their latest product maybe more than coincidence. There was enough pressure on Tim Cook the other day as it was without the world being aware that Steve Jobs was dead.

FFS 5Live have just interviewed some gimp in London. She has placed a boutique of flowers outside the Apple store in London as Steve Jobs "Has changed the way we live and we are in debt to him"

;) jog on. Some people need to get a grip.

FFS 5Live have just interviewed some gimp in London. She has placed a boutique of flowers outside the Apple store in London as Steve Jobs "Has changed the way we live and we are in debt to him"

;) jog on. Some people need to get a grip.

What, she laid a whole shopful of flowers ?? :)

One of the modern worlds giants, without him apple wouldn't exist so no iphones/pods/pads/macs and of course there is Pixar

really quite saddened by this RIP