Wolves (a) 1st October

LeazesMag

I almost felt greedy when we went 2-0 up.

I know we still have to play Spurs, Pool, ManU, ManC & Chelsea. By the same token, we still have to play Swansea, Norwich, Wigan, Bolton, WBA and Stoke(who don't seem to be at their usual standard).

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a one off I'd take Pards word for it, but this is the second time the mf has been overrun for long periods and he's done nowt.

Kept wondering why you were calling Pardew a mother fucker and how he was over-run :lol:

If it was a one off I'd take Pards word for it, but this is the second time the mf has been overrun for long periods and he's done nowt.

Kept wondering why you were calling Pardew a mother fucker and how he was over-run :lol:

:lol:

Thought you said to papa your point was only about Santon...who I don't see any reason to have brought on either.

Seems to have morphef into defending an ineffective substitution on the grounds that bringing on a better player might have been ineffective too. odd.

What a cock.

now I'm at a PC rather than on my phone I'll explain a bit more..

Thought you said to papa your point was only about Santon...who I don't see any reason to have brought on either.

Seems to have morphef into defending an ineffective substitution on the grounds that bringing on a better player might have been ineffective too. odd.

What a cock.

Didn't realise that was cockism, was genuinely perplexed as to why my position (and that of PL and Parky and Sammy and the rest) was so idiotic...and still am. Unless other people mentioning Santon etc had clouded the discussion. I'll respond to your initial post on the subject...

Only footballing retards would have entertained the idea of changing the back 4 in response to Wolves ascendancy in the second half[1]. Lovenkrands didnt put a foot wrong either[2]. People seem to be just connecting the substitutes with the second half performance from Wolves[3] when in fact the cross for goal should have been cut out by Obertan or Simpson[4] (on for 90 mins) and their disallowed goal came from the same position. Neither incident had anything to do with the subs[5]. Easy to connect the two, you hardly need to have watched the match to do so.

[1] Agreed

[2] Agreed

[3] Not me. I'm connecting Wolves performance with the Wolves changes. McCarthy identified the poor performers in his team, replaced them and saw a huge improvement. I'm connecting our performance with our LACK of substitutes. Pardew left the problem which we could all see on the flank well alone.

[4] Agreed. Not helped by Obertan still being on the pitch. Fair do's if you're saying there's no-one at the club who can do Obertan's job better when he starts to lose the plot, That's worrying though, right?

[5] Agreed. The subs we made weren't the issue, it was a couple of the players Pardoo left on for 90 minutes who had looked dodgy.

Looking back on my initial post on the subject I can see where I maybe lacked clarity....

I find pardoo's approach after going 2 up very worrying. Bringing on the 2 slowest, worst players on our bench (i assume for their 'experience') was daft when there's players available who could have compounded the misery for wolves.

He Invited pressure onto a defense who have performed excellent so far this season

Shouldn't have said "after going 2 up", should have said "after the Wolves change", though I wanted to make the point that we had a 2 goal cushion, which should have freed us up to play Ben Arfa football, rather than causing us to revert to defense and long balls.

Maybe it's also the way I said "invited pressure". My fault if that suggests to the reader that they hadn't already had us under pressure before the Ba change. Should have said it did nothing to stop the pressure that was already growing

Would also add that if Pardew's hands were tied by the players at his disposal since selling Barton, that he felt the shape was right but he didn't have the player to slot in, then that's equally worrying if it means Admiral Ackbar getting 90 minutes on a performance like that.

As the .com report says...

United dropped deeper and deeper as the awful Gabriel Obertan gave away the ball on numerous occasions. And although Ba was struggling after an earlier knock, replacing him with Peter Lovenkrands did nothing to relieve the pressure that was building.
Edited by Happy Face

We did all the sillyness England do under pressure: Falling ever deeper, hoofing it anywhere, players not wanting the ball, lack of rotating movement from the midfield and forwards, losing heads, forgetting about short passes and triangles to gain posession and relive pressure etc...

We sat on a 0-2 when we should have changed it and continued in search of a third goal (I said as much in the match thread long before the REAL pressure started and they scored).

Lovenkrands stats :

Passes 8 - 6 successful, 2 unsuccessful

Clearances 1 - successful

Free Kicks - 3 conceded

Funny, for me that stat doesn't tell anything about Lovenkrands' woeful positioning sense or his inability to read the game.

Yes he tracked back well when he was required and he didn't do anything wrong per say but his positioning, compared to Ba who was there to pick up the scraps from Best and filled the void between the mid and forward line, meant we lost the ball every time it was played out long to Best.

Regardless Obertan was the problem that needed to be fixed, end of.

We did all the sillyness England do under pressure: Falling ever deeper, hoofing it anywhere, players not wanting the ball, lack of rotating movement from the midfield and forwards, losing heads, forgetting about short passes and triangles to gain posession and relive pressure etc...

We sat on a 0-2 when we should have changed it and continued in search of a third goal (I said as much in the match thread long before the REAL pressure started and they scored).

Parky in his tin foil hat ftw.

Lovenkrands stats :

Free Kicks - 3 conceded

Funny, for me that stat doesn't tell anything about Lovenkrands' woeful positioning sense or his inability to read the game.

Yes he tracked back well when he was required and he didn't do anything wrong per say but his positioning, compared to Ba who was there to pick up the scraps from Best and filled the void between the mid and forward line, meant we lost the ball every time it was played out long to Best.

Regardless Obertan was the problem that needed to be fixed, end off.

The free-kicks weren't too clever. 1 was up their end of the pitch(offside?). The other 2 were in our half.

Lovenkrands stats :

Free Kicks - 3 conceded

Regardless Obertan was the problem that needed to be fixed, end of.

Yup.

It should have been Bafra for Ba as the main possesion keeping outlet ball and then Tiote and Cabaye would have been confident enough to stop just defending the pen area which is what they did for the last 20min. The CD's btw were defending in Krul's pocket. These are pretty blatant warning signs for a seasoned PL manager.

Taylor's doing what he always has done, it's just paying off at the moment.

We've always worried about him being too attack minded, going on daft runs that leave us exposed. Love it when he get's into the opposition box for a corner and scores, or like the second goal against Blackburn when (ridiculously) he and Coloccini were our only players left in their box before the ball came back in and it was mayhem for the Blackburn defenders leading to our goal, but his primary objective should always be to make sure hecan ge back and that he's solid at the back because better counter attackers will punish us.

Edited by Happy Face

Delighted with 3 away points, geddin. Didn't see the game but sounds like a draw would have been fair. Ha ha, up yours MickMack!

Interesting that neither Santon nor Barfa came on from the bench. Also that Elliott was sub keeper ahead of Harper who presumably is now fit. Assume they're making it clear he won't get a game and should leave in Jan.

Toys out of pram, "am not travelling half the length of the country to sit on the bench" I believe was the quote.

Hadn't heard that, is that a fact? Unprofessional if true....

And yet he was willing to travel to travel to play in the stiffs last night?

Something doesn't smell right Toonpack.

Newcastle reserves extend their unbeaten run this season to four games (seven including last season) on Tuesday night at Leyland - maintaining their form in front of goal.

The home side were first to show and Steve Harper made a decent block to deny Tope Obadeyi in the 12th minute, United defender Remie Streete still finding his feet in an unfamiliar right back role with James Perch at centre half.

In front of a watching Alan Pardew, United went ahead on 24 minutes, when Dan Gosling's forward pass through midfield found Sam Ameobi. The youngster clipped his effort over Trotters 'keeper Rob Lainton, who made contact with it but was unable to prevent it going in.

The Magpies then extended their lead midway just before the hour mark, when Sylvain Marveaux cut in from the right flank and netted with a low left-footed effort.

Two then became three on 68 minutes, when Marveaux bagged his second of the night, this one a close range conversion of a Shane Ferguson centre from the left.

With the game safe, coaches Steve Stone and John Carver then introduced JJ Hooper for his reserve team debut, replacing Michael Richardson.

And the teenage forward quickly found himself well placed when Peter Lovenkrands crossed, but couldn't stretch to reach and make it four.

That's now 15 goals scored in five games for the second string this season - and nine different scorers.

Team: Harper, Streete, Ferguson, J.Henderson, Perch, Ameobi (Inman 78), Guthrie (McDermott 56), Gosling, Marveaux, Richardson (Hooper 72), Lovenkrands.

Subs n/u: Baird, Folan.

Bolton: Lainton, Riley (Battersby 51), Kellett, McQuade, Connolly, Blakeman, Caton (Sampson 68), Vela, Odelusi, O'Halloran, Obadeyi.

Subs n/u: Lynch, Eckersley, Fazlic.

Referee: M.Salisbury

International callups meant that Joan Edmundsson, Tamas Kadar, Davide Santon, Ole Soderberg, Mehdi Abeid and Paul Dummett all missed out, while Saturday's first team substitute trio of Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands and Sylvain Marveaux were all included.

Yven Moyo and Nile Ranger dropped out of the squad who beat Swansea City 5-3 last week, while there was a first call up at this level for U18s striker JJ Hooper, top scorer with five goals so far this season.

A rumoured outing for Hatem Ben Arfa at Leyland failed to materialise, with reports circulating that the player had been allowed to return to Tunisia for family reasons.

http://www.nufc.com/

Taylor's doing what he always has done, it's just paying off at the moment.

We've always worried about him being too attack minded, going on daft runs that leave us exposed. Love it when he get's into the opposition box for a corner and scores, or like the second goal against Blackburn when (ridiculously) he and Coloccini were our only players left in their box before the ball came back in and it was mayhem for the Blackburn defenders leading to our goal, but his primary objective should always be to make sure hecan ge back and that he's solid at the back because better counter attackers will punish us.

Ridiculous statement to make. Why not have a go at Colo?

Delighted with 3 away points, geddin. Didn't see the game but sounds like a draw would have been fair. Ha ha, up yours MickMack!

Interesting that neither Santon nor Barfa came on from the bench. Also that Elliott was sub keeper ahead of Harper who presumably is now fit. Assume they're making it clear he won't get a game and should leave in Jan.

Toys out of pram, "am not travelling half the length of the country to sit on the bench" I believe was the quote.

Hadn't heard that, is that a fact? Unprofessional if true....

And yet he was willing to travel to travel to play in the stiffs last night?

Something doesn't smell right Toonpack.

Harper is happy to rotate the position so he can spend time at home with his new son/daughter ..... so I've heard.