Hiring a Car

The Fish

I'm looking to hire a car to drive up from London to home. Got loads of tat I need to bring up (Christmas presents and the like) and I've got stuff to bring down (framed signed 96 shirt and what not).

Does anyone have any horror stories with any of the big firms, and does anyone have any hidden gems that are worthwhile?

I'm looking for anything from a Ford Focus up to a Merc C-Class I reckon. Big enough to be a comfortable 5 hours drive, but don't need to break the bank.

Thought, jokes and irrelevant tangents welcome

I once got upgraded from a Fiat Punto to a C class Mercedes at Knock airport. God bless the Irish.

What possessed you to hire a Fiat Punto? :D

We were broke at the time, and only driving down to Connemara for a friend's wedding. We only used the car about 4 times I think, and I was sick out of it on one of them on the way to Westport. Apparently it was very scenic (the 9 Pins or summink), not that I gave a fuck, I thought I was dying. Someone had given me a lethal Camberwell Carrot the night before, after an extended session of Guinness and whiskey, and I hadn't really recovered the following day. A bowl of Irish stew and a half a Guinness later and I was back on the pig's back....

Great days.

I use Enterprise through work all the time theyre good quality cars and as said they'll pick you up and drop you off afterwards.

Couple of things to note,

the Merc is nowt special and for a long journey isnt half as comfortable as you'd imagine however if you really fancy one then book an automatic of a lower class and chances are they wont have any in stock and will upgrade you.

For a long journey book a Mondeo Titanium, they really are the dogs bollocks and a reasonable enough price as well. All the toys, half leather heated seats, DAB radio and a bluetooth hands free that actually works (the Mercs was a mare, took me nearly an hour to pair the iPhone to it). I drove one from Stansted to home and only stopped once for a quick coffee and piss, still felt fresh when I got back.

I use Enterprise through work all the time theyre good quality cars and as said they'll pick you up and drop you off afterwards.

the Merc is nowt special and for a long journey isnt half as comfortable as you'd imagine however if you really fancy one then book an automatic of a lower class and chances are they wont have any in stock and will upgrade you.

For a long journey book a Mondeo Titanium, they really are the dogs bollocks and a reasonable enough price as well. All the toys, half leather heated seats, DAB radio and a bluetooth hands free that actually works (the Mercs was a mare, took me nearly an hour to pair the iPhone to it). I drove one from Stansted to home and only stopped once for a quick coffee and piss, still felt fresh when I got back.

:D cheers Pud. Found a deal for Europcar online 40% off so I'll ring and confirm which models and what the small print is. If it's too much of a mare I'll definitely give Rnterprise a go, they seem to be the brand of choice.

;) cheers Pud. Found a deal for Europcar online 40% off so I'll ring and confirm which models and what the small print is. If it's too much of a mare I'll definitely give Rnterprise a go, they seem to be the brand of choice.

Europcar are pretty good, as are enterprise. Some advice learned the hard way, once when they delivered a car to me and did the paperwork I made a point of highlighting quite a few minor scuffs or blemishes on the paintwork - when we returned it they blamed every other one "because I had insisted on being so thorough initially", if I'd kept me gob shut would probably have saved 50 notes...twunts.

Always get the extra insurance. ;) I've used most of the major ones and they're all about the same IMO. If you've got time opt to bring it back with a full tank as they charge shitloads extra for petrol/diesel.

cheers one and all.

Always get the extra insurance. ;) I've used most of the major ones and they're all about the same IMO. If you've got time opt to bring it back with a full tank as they charge shitloads extra for petrol/diesel.

cheers one and all.

Ironically I just picked up a hire car today from Europa and their big thing was that their petrol was cheaper than getting from a petrol station! :lol:

I guess you're buying a whole tank though, so make sure you're going to use at least that much.

Always get the extra insurance. :lol: I've used most of the major ones and they're all about the same IMO. If you've got time opt to bring it back with a full tank as they charge shitloads extra for petrol/diesel.

cheers one and all.

Ironically I just picked up a hire car today from Europa and their big thing was that their petrol was cheaper than getting from a petrol station! :lol:

I guess you're buying a whole tank though, so make sure you're going to use at least that much.

Should do, driving from London to Newcastle. Got a stack of Xmas presents to take up and a load of awkward sized crap to bring back down (Signed Newcastle shirt in frame etc.)

Doubt I'll need a car to bring down ASDA vouchers mind :icon_lol:

Always get the extra insurance. :lol: I've used most of the major ones and they're all about the same IMO. If you've got time opt to bring it back with a full tank as they charge shitloads extra for petrol/diesel.

cheers one and all.

Should do, driving from London to Newcastle. Got a stack of Xmas presents to take up and a load of awkward sized crap to bring back down (Signed Newcastle shirt in frame etc.)

Doubt I'll need a car to bring down ASDA vouchers mind :)

:icon_lol:

Use them to fill up…

… and get a diesel man.