loan companys

DEADMAN

heh wish i could mate but i ant got no qualifications or certificates or not im pretty much useless

I'd suggest doing some volunteer work in a charity shop or something, kid brothers doing that at the minute as he's never worked anywhere before, but doing the voluntary stuff lets him get experience he can stick down while he still job hunts.

And it is tough atm getting "shop" type work, so wouldn't feel too dis-hearted if you've had no joy, Kid bros got a 1st class degree, and is doing a masters currently and hasn't managed to get a single interview yet.

Agree fully. I think it's sometimes easy for those of us in employment to say to those on benefits to simply 'get a job'. In the current financial climate there are so many companies who are have an employment freeze.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you needed a bank account to get benefits these days? How do you get your money then?

I always thought you had to go up to the dole office.

And to pay for a passport you need a debit card or cheque, both require a bank account :nufc:

I thought you needed a bank account to get benefits these days? How do you get your money then?

I always thought you had to go up to the dole office.

And to pay for a passport you need a debit card or cheque, both require a bank account :nufc:

I'm guessing you can use postal orders to pay.

you've to go sign on every two weeks yes, but it's more just a "check" really, the money still just gets electronically paid into your account (if you have one).

Most banks do what is called a "basic" bank account which requires no credit check - you can get a cash card with it but no debit card unfortunately.

One of the Wonga/Quick Quid sites did what I thought was an interesting advert a while ago - as it only ran for a short while I assume they were forced to pull it.

It compared the cost of getting a small amount (£50-£100) from them and paying it back a couple of weeks later on your pay day with an unauthorised overdraft complete with the usual letter from a big bank - guess which was cheaper.

Overall the concept is a a bid sad and in some ways preys on the desperate but I don't think morally they're too far away from other financial organisations.

Deadman, I understand you made a note on the forums when you first joined that you have learning difficulties?

I worked at a veggie restaurant that doubled up as a community project for a year. We would get people on placements all the time who had (at times severe) learning difficulties and next to no skills who would come in and do whatever work they felt comfortable with. Anything from supervised work on tills to helping me and the head chef out in the kitchen.

All of them came to us via an agency called tng: http://www.tng.uk.com/. Worth a look and you can get yourself some great work experience that would help you in your job search. They don't just cover catering!

Seriously give an agency like them a look mate, plenty of companies and businesses are happy to give you a shot at work experience so long as you're eager and willing to graft and learn. Good luck in your job search regardless.