2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

StevenL

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm pleased England are out because I'm English. At the same time that haven't earned the right to progress, and no neutral will mourn their exit because they've been negative on the field and unprofessional and boorish off it. The players and coaches should have a good look at themselves.

Get in Wales. About time they beat Ireland. However, England have been shocking. Johnson and the coaches should resign, and the only players who have earned a place in the future squad are Ashton, Tuilangi, Foden and maybe Flood. Jonny should go, and the forwards should be given a rule book and told not to return until they can follow them.

I really hope the France that played England doesn't turn up in the semi finals.

P.S. Come on Argentina, crock a few kiwis for a laugh.

I wonder if the media will say the Rugby team is "A disgrace to the nation" and that they "Don't care about England" because they got knocked out in the Quarters or if that's just the Football team :lol:

I went to the France vs wales match tonight. The French were woeful and if they play like that in the final, will be 'umped by nz or Australia. Basically france struggled to contain a 14 man team and kicked at every opportunity....it was abit like watching England.

Slap it up wales for being greedy though, they had so many oppetunities for drop goals in the last 15mins and kept pressing ahead for tries.

in the words of the lad on rte "how the hell France have gotten to the final is nothing short of a miracle"

Ireland if it wasn't for that off game last week would've humped either of those teams today on recent form. :( ah well.

wait till ya see france win it now lol

On that showing I think both nz and oz will hump France by 30 points. Wales would've won if they could kick a football. Like you say they should have dropped for goal but they made a mess of the attempts they had. French very lucky.

I'm impressed my post was vaguely coherent as it was about 2 in the morning and I'd just got in. Saw the spear tackle on telly and I think it was harsh to red card him, even though technically correct. Spoilt the game though.

the reason stephen jones didnt kick for goal near the end was he was trying wait for the french to be in the ruck as none were going into ruck it hindered what he was trying to do commit them to ruck give him space from a charge down.

we should of won it woeful kicking by hook, and halfpenny short by literally inches just wasnt meant to be hope the french get an absolute hammering they were shocking against 14men

Wish they could both lose the final. France are shit, lucky tossers and the Kiwis would be so full of it if they won.

You shouldn't confuse Kiwis with Aussies. Pretty level headed people as a rule.

Anyway congratulations to NZ, 2011 champions.

One of those strange sporting events that was fascinating despite being a pretty shit game in terms of quality. Always good to see France lose though. The fact they didn't deserve to making it even better ;)

It wasn't convincing at all from NZ and was undoubtedly a bit of a choke. They were particularly bad at line outs and also Piri Weepu the scrum half had a shocker. Plus they started with a novice 3rd choice fly half and finished the match with Stephen Donald, who was a byword for choking here and a national joke till he came on and kicked the winning goal from the bench.

However even playing poorly they'd have been over the horizon if they'd landed their kicks at goal in the first half, and for all their huff and puff the French didn't really threaten to score apart from one freak breakaway try.

No-one should have sympathy for the French, given they were poor for most of the tournament (including a defeat to Tonga), let themselves down with silly trash talking in the build up, disrespected the haka and generally engaged in cheaty unpleasantness on the day. The All Blacks were worthy winners, whereas France wouldn't have been.......so I think it's good for rugby and the 2016 RWC in England that France didn't win.

I know my knowledge of rugby could be written on a raisin, but why do people think advancing on the Haka is disrespectful? Surely the Haka is used as intimidatory as well as for tradition, so I think that surely France advancing on it is just their way of syking up their fans and the crowd. It's not like everybody gets a version of the Haka, so why is it seen as disrespectful that the French wanted it to be seen that they weren't intimidated?

Aye I don't see any disrespect in walking close to them, shouldn't have to just stand there and watch like a gaggle of muppets tbh.

Iirc the Irish walked right up to a haka a few year back.

Aye it was them

Edited by Barton7

The haka is basically a ceremonial challenge and a mark of respect to opponents. It's up to the opponents whether they accept the challenge or not. I think it's a bit discourteous to attempt to undermine the tradition especially in the homeland of Maori but that's professional sport I suppose. However the IRB rules state that the opposing side has to stay on the half way line and they deliberately chose to ignore that....that was the disrespectful bit imo.

Edited by Kitman