How you feeling two games in?

Christmas Tree

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted with Saturday but not counting any chickens just yet. Think the two centre halfs have been excellent, and I've never been Steven Taylor's biggest fan but he's looked solid. Up front still worries me greatly.

Reading a few of the reports in the papers this morning they are giving credit to Pardew for changing the formation / the game at half time and that had Bruce had no answer to this.

Tbf I never really notice that sort of stuff, but if its correct then I think thats another positive having someone who knows what changes need making and is confident enough to make them.

I also think its a bit harsh that Best hasnt had a go as he probably had the best pre-season out of all the strikers. Maybe he'll get and take his chance on Thursday.

Reading a few of the reports in the papers this morning they are giving credit to Pardew for changing the formation / the game at half time and that had Bruce had no answer to this.

Tbf I never really notice that sort of stuff, but if its correct then I think thats another positive having someone who knows what changes need making and is confident enough to make them.

I also think its a bit harsh that Best hasnt had a go as he probably had the best pre-season out of all the strikers. Maybe he'll get and take his chance on Thursday.

:lol:

You really are a journalist's wet dream.

What I want to know is how you get through everyday without buying magic beans? Do you wear a laminate with your name and address on it for when you leave the house?

Not sure what he changed, but to me it looked like Tiote dropped deeper second half to deal with Sessegnon who was afforded far too much room between defence and midfield in the first half. This nulified their threat and allowed Gutierrez and Barton to carry the ball more.

I'm sure that's what he changed at half time and if so, a shrewd move by him.

The main thing is we've had a canny start. With all the changes to the squad and the lack of a decent striker I think that was essential. Not getting carried away though but delighted so far.

:razz:

What I want to know is how you get through everyday without buying magic beans? Do you wear a laminate with your name and address on it for when you leave the house?

Not sure what he changed

The teabags.

The Mackems just burnt out after half an hour. We spent all that time just hoofing it back to them, they'd play it to our box then have a poor shot from range. There were no worries after that opening third though, they were exasperrated they hadn't made anything of their domination, we could keep it on the ground a little bit and retain posession more...which led to them losing their heads and diving in all over the shop.

Nowt to do with a Pardew change IMO. If anything, Shola (who had a canny game) was left on too long. Not sure how often he's managed 90 minutes in the last few seasons.

Edited by Happy Face

I don't think I would allow Pardew the permission to be manager of the month regardless of results. He's a weak cunt, and if we continue winning it's solely from the team spirit inspired by the players themselves.

You serious? Wisen up! It was fine to say that after we beat Liverpool 3-1 but not now. His tactics, his selection, his input. He deserves as much credit as the players.

I'm feeling confident after these 2 results. We are toothless in attack, atm but football is won and lost in the middle of the park and with Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Barton, Obertan, Gosling, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid we ooze class. Out centre half pairing of Coloccini and Taylor is looking tremendous, I can't remember a better centre half pairing for many years at Newcastle. Krul gets better and better with each game he plays.

We've had 4 shots on target in 180 minutes. We have to praise the defence and midfield for this. Simpson looks steady, not great; he never will be, but steady.

Left back's a massive priority this week and I hope and pray we have someone in by QPR away on the 10th September.

We've plenty depth upfront in Shola, Lovenkrands, Ranger, Ba and Best but they're all shite, very shite players.

For me, one striker and a left back and we have a strong squad.

Fuck me, I sound like CT. Just call me Mr Positive. T'was also nice to see Pardew obviously buzzing over the result, whilst Brewcey was seething.

FYP

Oh and there is no point having a solid midfield without having strikers to finish off their hard graft.

Agree with Colo and Taylor.

Thanks for that, but I disagree. Leon Best isn't shite. He works tirelessly. He mightn't be a top draw striker but I'd rather he was here than playing elsewhere. Though you're right in the fact that we need a classy striker. A 'fox in the box', if you will.

sorry fella but I'd happily trade the lot in for someone like bent, they are all garbage

It's a tough one. 4 points from to difficult matches is great, good for team moral and 2 important clean sheets to build on. But I'm concerned that there hasn't really been any good football on show from us, hopefully that will change against fulham, their not playing to well and hopefully our boys will be able to express themself better at st james against a weaker side than arsenal. My main feeling at the moment is against better sides we could be seriously punished, and ourselves going forward haven't seemed to show much of an attacking presence

I just wonder if thats more to do with Pardew sending the team out with a defend at all costs first policy. As Stevie says grinding out results everton style.

I also agree that the reins will come off against lesser sides allowing more attacking football. Of course when the left winger isnt having to cover the left back as much and we find a striker who can score, it will also be a lot easier.

It's been more the case that we've come up against teams better at keeping possession and having incisive attacks. Thankfully our central defensive pairing have had a strong start to the season and Krul has also been going well.

Whatever the case 4 points so far has been a very positive set of results. Winning brings about self belief and confidence, so even though we're not playing that well at the moment these sort of results should help to improve things on that front. In addition if the two absolutely necessary signing are eventually made (of significant quality) that should also help to balance out some of the on-field deficiencies and improve out performance. The return of Ben Arfa won't hurt either.

As others have noted we have a run of relatively weak opposition coming up so it's a great opportunity to build a solid points total and settle our new players into the league.

What I want to know is how you get through everyday without buying magic beans?

018hu.jpg

There's no doubt we've had two good results but teams like Fulham have a habit of bringing us back to earth, much like Blackpool/Wolves etc did after the 6-0 against Villa.

We need a left back & a striker - if we invest properly we'll talk about a good season but we need to make sure we don't fall for the same trick as the mackems early last season they had a few clean sheets & reckoned they were the dogs bollocks when really they were playing defensive as fuck & the strikers weren't getting a look in & the games they did win they were remarkably lucky.

This doesn't get Ashley off the hook. £40m profit.

There's no doubt we've had two good results but teams like Fulham have a habit of bringing us back to earth, much like Blackpool/Wolves etc did after the 6-0 against Villa.

We need a left back & a striker - if we invest properly we'll talk about a good season but we need to make sure we don't fall for the same trick as the mackems early last season they had a few clean sheets & reckoned they were the dogs bollocks when really they were playing defensive as fuck & the strikers weren't getting a look in & the games they did win they were remarkably lucky.

Aye. :lol:

The classic one was beating Man Utd 5-0, then losing 2-0 at fucking Leicester.

We've won the second game of the season in four consecutive years now, with the last three being fairly spectacular results.

1-0 vs Sunderland.

6-0 vs Villa

3-0 vs Reading (Shola hattrick)

1-0 vs Bolton.

Its a good and solid start to the season. I would have taken 4 points from these games especially with a win over the mackems.

Arsenal are a team in trouble however they are still a very good side and they have some truly brilliant players. They have Van Persie, Gervinho and Arshavin along with Walcott to threaten us. As regards to Sunderland, Newcastle held out for the first 30 minutes. Its a game plan that worked. Let them burn themselves out and we were desperately unlucky not to win by a few more.

I think our main point is the striking department, Demba Ba hasnt quite settled in to our team and we are pretty toothless after that. We really need one of those lively strikers who will hussle the oppositions defence. You want them to come off thinking "I cant be fucked chasing that guy every game"

As regards to Left Back, well done Ryan Taylor for playing there despite being well out of position. The lad has a belter of a right foot however unfortunately thats one of the only talents he really has in his locker. Pity Barton couldnt teach him the midfield role as he has the potential to be a great winger.

As regards to Fulham, its a game we have every right to think we can go in and win however I think we will draw this one 2-2 unless we get some really good striker in!

Edited by KeithJ

Its a good and solid start to the season. I would have taken 4 points from these games especially with a win over the mackems.

Arsenal are a team in trouble however they are still a very good side and they have some truly brilliant players. They have Van Persie, Gervinho and Arshavin along with Walcott to threaten us. As regards to Sunderland, Newcastle held out for the first 30 minutes. Its a game plan that worked. Let them burn themselves out and we were desperately unlucky not to win by a few more.

I think our main point is the striking department, Demba Ba hasnt quite settled in to our team and we are pretty toothless after that. We really need one of those lively strikers who will hussle the oppositions defence. You want them to come off thinking "I cant be fucked chasing that guy every game"

As regards to Left Back, well done Ryan Taylor for playing there despite being well out of position. The lad has a belter of a right foot however unfortunately thats one of the only talents he really has in his locker. Pity Barton couldnt teach him the midfield role as he has the potential to be a great winger.

As regards to Fulham, its a game we have every right to think we can go in and win however I think we will draw this one 2-2 unless we get some really good striker in!

Ryan Taylor? :lol:

You mean rather than having Strola and them thinking "Fuck, I didnt know they had him on the pitch"

I don't think you can be anything other than very happy with the two results so far but the performances haven't been brilliant. The first half against Arsenal was woeful in particular and we were humping far too many long balls on Saturday bypassing a midfield that is supposed to be dominating and allowing us to control games.

The clean sheets are a massive positive especially as they have come from not allowing teams to create anything of any significance.

I think the signing of a leftback who can move forward with the ball will make a massive difference to how we look going forward and with a quality striker in to get on the end of stuff I think will be ok.

The long ball thing, do you think its the mentality of having Carroll when we could hoy it up to him and 9 times out of 10 he would get it? Now we dont have that outlet, we need to get the ball on the floor and be more patient.

The long balls stand to reason really. Last season Half of our defenders were comfortable enough on the ball to play it out to midfield on the ground most of the time. With the loss of Enrique that's down to 25% so you're gonna see more donkey work unless/until some quality is brought in.

I love this myth that we are one striker away from being Ok this season.

Unless Ba improves drastically we have 5 championship standard strikers. Most clubs have at least 2, if not 3, decent strikers vying for a starting spot in the team.