Favourite Fish & Chips?

Tooj

is the chippy at bottom of Westgate Rd still going ?

used to go when at College and it was always really good .

( 'TheOneNextToTheMotorbikeshops' as Mr Ramen used to say on his radio adverts ? )

--------------------------------------

btw Gemmill - what goes on with "the rock bus" :razz: you were on about in an earlier post ?

Do you mean Clarkes? One of my best school mates inherited it (haven't seen him for a while), think it is still running but was always just open for lunch iirc. I got free chips there and they were canny lush like.

Mr Ramen - fuck me, that takes me back. An advertising guy I knew said they used that as a classic example of advertising. It was so shit you simply could not forget it. As this thread proves. :lol:

Haha Super Ramaz !

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think with all the fatties in Scotland they'd have some decent chippies but everyone I've been to has been awful, the blue lagoon in Glasgow possibly the worst chippy on earth. Honestly give Gormans Cowgate a chance you won't go to another chippy ever.

Have you ever had the abomination that is "salt and sauce"?

Was in Edinburgh and got some chips. When asked if I wanted salt and sauce, I wasn't really sure what the story was but said yes. The twat put brown sauce all over the chips. Savages.

That's like putting vinegar on your cornflakes. Odd people. Oh by the way when I was in that Blue Lagoon in Glasgow I saw a fried mars bar with my own eyes. They exist. Bamps.

I had a deep fried mars bar in Dumfries. It was so fatty it made the brown paper it was wrapped in go see-through. Tasted like a chocolate doughnut more than anything. The chippy was connected to a sweet shop so they could do any chocolate bar you wanted I guess. Fancy a deep-fried Starbar if I'm ever passing that way again.

Went to that rare thing, a decent southern chippy in Dagenham or Romford, The Golden Fish it was called. You got this pickled gherkin-like thing with it called a wally, never seen them before or since, presume its a North/south thing.

Was in Paddington and there was a canny chippy there. Was foreign run but had no kebabs or pizzas. Just fish, chips, pies and salt and vinegar.

another good fish and chip shop is dillions chippy in hazelrigg near ponteland hehe

Is it good is it? quite near me and always wondered if it was worth a go. Wor lasses mothers looking at a house almost opposite the chippy so could be a regular.

All of the Gormans are canny but what used to Kristians down at the Fish Quay has been shite since it changed.

another good fish and chip shop is dillions chippy in hazelrigg near ponteland hehe

Is it good is it? quite near me and always wondered if it was worth a go. Wor lasses mothers looking at a house almost opposite the chippy so could be a regular.

All of the Gormans are canny but what used to Kristians down at the Fish Quay has been shite since it changed.

When Dhillons used to be Bowers it was fucking shit. You were running the gauntlet going in there after dark as well :wub: Not sure about now like. The Gormans in Longbenton is quality though. You in the Wideopen/Brunswick/Hazelrigg tri-state area now like, Pud?

The chippy on the team valley used to be canny. Done a cracking Cod. Burgers were canny as well. For nearer home I used to like gormans near the Gilpin in west denton. Was a good one at denton burn as well but cant remember what it was called. Was that a Gormans as well? Near the Denton?

The chippy on the team valley used to be canny. Done a cracking Cod. Burgers were canny as well. For nearer home I used to like gormans near the Gilpin in west denton. Was a good one at denton burn as well but cant remember what it was called. Was that a Gormans as well? Near the Denton?

With the Italian name? Aye, that used to be nice.

With the Italian name? Aye, that used to be nice.

Thats the one. Sure he was called Mario. Had a picture on his wall of him and Melinda Messenger from when he won some chippy of the year or something.

That wasnt a Gormans it was one called Friar Tucks and it was very decent. Aye the DB one was and still is Gormans, shite nuw proper greasy, best one by a million miles is Cowgate.

That wasnt a Gormans it was one called Friar Tucks and it was very decent. Aye the DB one was and still is Gormans, shite nuw proper greasy, best one by a million miles is Cowgate.

Ah thats the one, Friar Tucks. Used to go there instead of the West Denton "Fry Inn" which was shite. Never been to the cowgate one.

Ah thats the one, Friar Tucks. Used to go there instead of the West Denton "Fry Inn" which was shite. Never been to the cowgate one.

There's a new one in the place of the Fry in now, and its aaaaareet bog standard 7/10 chippy. The lasses in there are all huge. Like Jerry Springer huge.

When Dhillons used to be Bowers it was fucking shit. You were running the gauntlet going in there after dark as well :blush: Not sure about now like. The Gormans in Longbenton is quality though. You in the Wideopen/Brunswick/Hazelrigg tri-state area now like, Pud?

Fucking Gosforth I'll have you know :blush:

Sometimes I like to help out the little people by using their shops etc, my way of giving something back :wub:

When Dhillons used to be Bowers it was fucking shit. You were running the gauntlet going in there after dark as well :blush: Not sure about now like. The Gormans in Longbenton is quality though. You in the Wideopen/Brunswick/Hazelrigg tri-state area now like, Pud?

Sometimes I like to help out the little people by using their shops etc, my way of giving something back :wub:

La-di-dah :blush:

La-di-dah :blush:

Its still not lunch though

*Mac would be proud

There's one by Seaton Sluice that is canny but I can't remember its name and there's a new one opened in Station Road in Wallsend called 'Frydays' which has on my 4 visits so far been top notch, just as good as the new Gormans in Byker. Mind there's some very average ones about.

There's one by Seaton Sluice that is canny but I can't remember its name and there's a new one opened in Station Road in Wallsend called 'Frydays' which has on my 4 visits so far been top notch, just as good as the new Gormans in Byker. Mind there's some very average ones about.

Gills.

It used to be class; big portions, fresh fish, lovely chips... but it's changed ownership in the last few years (to be honest, not even sure it's still called Gills). Gone pretty average now, not sure they even use the local fish.

I think Gormans is overrated to be honest.

Years ago they used to do fantastic fish cakes, but now they do not.

I wasn't really impressed with the Fish and Chips last time I went, I had some in North Shields at the Fish Quay a while ago and that was better - but the best fish and chips I ever had was in Whitby years ago on the seafront. I think we just got lucky, the fish tasted fresher than anywhere else I'd ever been before.

I've heard that one along from The Rising Sun on the coast road is canny like. That used to be a belta one near where me nana used to live on Sutton Street in Walkergate, but I think it's shut down now.

I think Gormans is overrated to be honest.

Years ago they used to do fantastic fish cakes, but now they do not.

I wasn't really impressed with the Fish and Chips last time I went, I had some in North Shields at the Fish Quay a while ago and that was better - but the best fish and chips I ever had was in Whitby years ago on the seafront. I think we just got lucky, the fish tasted fresher than anywhere else I'd ever been before.

Depends which one you go to. Cowgate is the best chippy in the UK, rest are mediocre I agree.

Starbeck Chippy used to be mint btw. Not been in a while though.

Aye it's top notch, best one in Ryton/Crawcrook/Prudda by a mile.

I meant the one in Sandyford (Starbeck Avenue). No idea if it's still there even.