Favourite Fish & Chips?

Tooj

The Fish Club on Clapham High Street. Great range of delicious fish, just plaice an order and pick it up 20 minutes later. Piping hot, great batter and freshly made mushy peas or tartare sauce.

:D

Ordering fish and chips? Fuck off you blazered bufoon.

No different to ordering a curry or a chinese, not sure what you problem is Gordon? Mayhaps it's that your local chippy isn't as nice as mine? :D

Fundamentally wrong. Do you order kebabs too?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think with all the fatties in Scotland they'd have some decent chippies but everyone I've been to has been awful, the blue lagoon in Glasgow possibly the worst chippy on earth. Honestly give Gormans Cowgate a chance you won't go to another chippy ever.

I can remember going to one in Dundee and it was ridiculous the pricing was like £7 for fish and chips

Best I've had here was 2 weeks ago in the moroe in town, elsewhere Scarbrough and Seaton Carew up by Hartlepool

Ones in Newcastle in the suburbs are about £5.40, but where me sister lives in London in her village right, tiny portions, fish like a fuckin tadpole £9.50. Straight up.

The Fish Club on Clapham High Street. Great range of delicious fish, just plaice an order and pick it up 20 minutes later. Piping hot, great batter and freshly made mushy peas or tartare sauce.

Ordering fish and chips? Fuck off you blazered bufoon.

No different to ordering a curry or a chinese, not sure what you problem is Gordon? Mayhaps it's that your local chippy isn't as nice as mine? :D

Fundamentally wrong. Do you order kebabs too?

I don't, but I'm not normally a massive kebab fan. I've always been disappointed there aren't more Mexican Take-Away/Delivery places.

Always been normal malt vinegar when I've been there (literally dozens of times). Any Edinburghers out there to clarify matters?

Aye - it's as Meenzer said. Can be truly foul stuff though if there's too much vinegar in it, and really only tolerable if you're having a haggis or sausage supper, tbh - and if you're having one of them then you're already so pissed you've lost your tastebuds already.

Always been normal malt vinegar when I've been there (literally dozens of times). Any Edinburghers out there to clarify matters?

We don't need people from Edinburgh to confirm. I know the difference between vinegar and brown sauce. :D

We don't need people from Edinburgh to confirm. I know the difference between vinegar and brown sauce. :D

Which chippy were you in when this terrible cultural and culinary travesty took place?

Aye - it's as Meenzer said. Can be truly foul stuff though if there's too much vinegar in it, and really only tolerable if you're having a haggis or sausage supper, tbh - and if you're having one of them then you're already so pissed you've lost your tastebuds already.

This is weird. So when I asked for salt and vinegar, and she said you mean salt and sauce, I was having some abomination that was really watered down brown sauce? But it was clear, completely fluid, and tasted just like vinegar? Do they do just normal vinegar then?

I've only been to three Edinburgh chippies (but one repeatedly) and never noticed it wasn't normal vinegar. Will investigate on Saturday.

Edit: from wiki 'In Edinburgh, a combination of Gold Star brown sauce and water or malt vinegar, known either simply as "sauce", or more specifically as "chippy sauce", has great popularity'.

My tastebuds must be truely fucked.

Edited by Renton

I was told you get salt and sauce when I went to an Edinburgh chippy. It was just a mixture of broon sauce with vinegar if you ask me, tasted just like vinegar really.

This is weird. So when I asked for salt and vinegar, and she said you mean salt and sauce, I was having some abomination that was really watered down brown sauce? But it was clear, completely fluid, and tasted just like vinegar? Do they do just normal vinegar then?

I've only been to three Edinburgh chippies (but one repeatedly) and never noticed it wasn't normal vinegar. Will investigate on Saturday.

You can get vinegar if you ask. But if you asked for vinegar and ended up with brown sauce it'll be because you asked for sauce. You'd notice the difference though, unless you were very, very drunk.

Which chippy were you in when this terrible cultural and culinary travesty took place?

It was about 20 year ago! I went up on the Rock Bus to see The Cure at the Edinburgh Playhouse. :D

When you're 15 and don't have much money and you're hungry, you remember when someone pisses on your chips.

You would think with all the fatties in Scotland they'd have some decent chippies but everyone I've been to has been awful, the blue lagoon in Glasgow possibly the worst chippy on earth. Honestly give Gormans Cowgate a chance you won't go to another chippy ever.

Have you ever had the abomination that is "salt and sauce"?

Was in Edinburgh and got some chips. When asked if I wanted salt and sauce, I wasn't really sure what the story was but said yes. The twat put brown sauce all over the chips. Savages.

Eh? Sauce means vinegar in Edinburgh, doesn't it? There's an excellent chippy in the grassmarket I'll visit next weekend as it happens.

Can't understand why people are recommending Pinnacles in Seahouses either. I went there with my 9 year old nepthew last week on my last day of freedom, and it was something like £14 for two fish and chips with drinks (eating in). Wasn't particularly good either.

Jesus, sounds like the worst stag do ever. No offence.

It was about 20 year ago! I went up on the Rock Bus to see The Cure at the Edinburgh Playhouse. :D

When you're 15 and don't have much money and you're hungry, you remember when someone pisses on your chips.

Two decades since it happened and you're still scarred by it. :rolleyes:

Was in Edinburgh and got some chips. When asked if I wanted salt and sauce, I wasn't really sure what the story was but said yes. The twat put brown sauce all over the chips. Savages.

Eh? Sauce means vinegar in Edinburgh, doesn't it? There's an excellent chippy in the grassmarket I'll visit next weekend as it happens.

Can't understand why people are recommending Pinnacles in Seahouses either. I went there with my 9 year old nepthew last week on my last day of freedom, and it was something like £14 for two fish and chips with drinks (eating in). Wasn't particularly good either.

Fuck me, getting a proper job is much worse than getting married.

Someone pissed on them too? Subhuman scum. :rolleyes:

ive tried gormans myself and dillions chippy there good fish and chips there both 5 stars id say. theres also a one in gateshead im not sure if its still running its called maguires i think its called. it has a green background with big white text it has nice curry

If in Edinburgh then I'd suggest you try L'Alba D'oro - http://www.lalbadoro.com/ or Rapido (both quite central and both places doe nice crisp chips, perfect batter and you can politely decline the lashings of salt'n'sauce that the fecking Glaswegian scum insist upon.

Better still head out of town and up into Fife for the Anstruther Fish Bar - http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/. The owners of that place have also opened up a placed in Leith, which I haven't been to yet but friends have said is very nice - Tailend Fish Restaurant.

Much further north, up on the Moray Firth, you'll find a wee place in Cullen called Linda's Fish & Chips where they'll take your order, fry it there and then and they also do a mean Cullen Skink as well.

In Durham, I've tended to go to Mahan's in Gilesgate - never let us down yet and you get scraps if you ask for them as well.

I had some chips right near Diane's pool hall in Edinburgh wasn't overly impressed but next time I'm up I'll have a look. I've had fish n chips in Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Perth, Dunkeld and Eyemouth and not had a really decent one yet.

I hope no one takes this for something it isn't, but foreign owned and ran chippies and nearly always absolutely shite. I don't want a chippy to sell kebabs or pizza's fish chips the odd pie and that'll dee.

another good fish and chip shop is dillions chippy in hazelrigg near ponteland hehe

There's a franchise of Dillon's shops, nearest one to me is Throckley and it's pish. I've heard Maguire's in Swalwell and Rowlands Gill are mint.

is the chippy at bottom of Westgate Rd still going ?

used to go when at College and it was always really good .

( 'TheOneNextToTheMotorbikeshops' as Mr Ramen used to say on his radio adverts ? )

--------------------------------------

btw Gemmill - what goes on with "the rock bus" :D you were on about in an earlier post ?

That's like putting vinegar on your cornflakes. Odd people. Oh by the way when I was in that Blue Lagoon in Glasgow I saw a fried mars bar with my own eyes. They exist. Bamps.

is the chippy at bottom of Westgate Rd still going ?

used to go when at College and it was always really good .

( 'TheOneNextToTheMotorbikeshops' as Mr Ramen used to say on his radio adverts ? )

--------------------------------------

btw Gemmill - what goes on with "the rock bus" :D you were on about in an earlier post ?

Aye. Lost count of the amount of times I've went in there steaming after the match.