Favourite Fish & Chips?

Tooj

I've been upto Seahouses today, and partook in the usual sampling of Pinnacle's finest.

Apart from Pinnacles, my favourites have to be Kristian's on the fish quay, Marshall's at Tynemouth and Colman's in South Shields.

Where else is everybody's favourite fish & chip shops?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We gave up on Kristians about a year/18 months ago. It was then closed for refurbishment - maybe we'll give it a go sometime, but we've been going to the place (plaice ha ha :D ) around the corner opposite, I think, The Dolphin?

The Arcade in Whitley do my favourite chips - thin and squigy.

That Kristensens is mint but not been for years. The best in the North East, and for that matter Britain, has to be Gorman's at Cowgate. You know a good chippy when it's always full to the door of fat cunts and Gormans is, absolutely fantastic chips, and the cod bites, you can four all massive, brilliant chippy much better than all of the other Gorman's (mind haven't tried the Byker one), they are not all part of the same company by the way.

Never really progressed far beyond the Gosforth Chippy, for practical reasons. Pretty much anything I've had at the coast or elsewhere in the region has been better than the shite you get down here though.

Kristians is gone now. Re opened as Oceans.

Aye, still nice though. Why did they lose the name when it was so famous?

My local is Marshall's and I personally don't rate it. There's usually a queue meaning the chips aren't fried long enough and are anaemic and limp. Bill's is much better, excellent in fact, just shit for parking.

The Fish Club on Clapham High Street. Great range of delicious fish, just plaice an order and pick it up 20 minutes later. Piping hot, great batter and freshly made mushy peas or tartare sauce.

You would think with all the fatties in Scotland they'd have some decent chippies but everyone I've been to has been awful, the blue lagoon in Glasgow possibly the worst chippy on earth. Honestly give Gormans Cowgate a chance you won't go to another chippy ever.

You would think with all the fatties in Scotland they'd have some decent chippies but everyone I've been to has been awful, the blue lagoon in Glasgow possibly the worst chippy on earth. Honestly give Gormans Cowgate a chance you won't go to another chippy ever.

I can remember going to one in Dundee and it was ridiculous the pricing was like £7 for fish and chips

Best I've had here was 2 weeks ago in the moroe in town, elsewhere Scarbrough and Seaton Carew up by Hartlepool

Have you ever had the abomination that is "salt and sauce"?

Was in Edinburgh and got some chips. When asked if I wanted salt and sauce, I wasn't really sure what the story was but said yes. The twat put brown sauce all over the chips. Savages.

Was in Edinburgh and got some chips. When asked if I wanted salt and sauce, I wasn't really sure what the story was but said yes. The twat put brown sauce all over the chips. Savages.

Surprised he didn't fry the fuckers.

Eh? Sauce means vinegar in Edinburgh, doesn't it? There's an excellent chippy in the grassmarket I'll visit next weekend as it happens.

Can't understand why people are recommending Pinnacles in Seahouses either. I went there with my 9 year old nepthew last week on my last day of freedom, and it was something like £14 for two fish and chips with drinks (eating in). Wasn't particularly good either.

The Fish Club on Clapham High Street. Great range of delicious fish, just plaice an order and pick it up 20 minutes later. Piping hot, great batter and freshly made mushy peas or tartare sauce.

:D

Ordering fish and chips? Fuck off you blazered bufoon.

Apparently it's a mixture of vinegar and brown sauce they give you. It's always looked and tasted closer to the latter when I've had it in Edinburgh though. Probably depends on the establishment as I imagine they mix it up behind the scenes in a big bucket.

:D

Ordering fish and chips? Fuck off you blazered bufoon.

No different to ordering a curry or a chinese, not sure what you problem is Gordon? Mayhaps it's that your local chippy isn't as nice as mine? :D

If in Edinburgh then I'd suggest you try L'Alba D'oro - http://www.lalbadoro.com/ or Rapido (both quite central and both places doe nice crisp chips, perfect batter and you can politely decline the lashings of salt'n'sauce that the fecking Glaswegian scum insist upon.

Better still head out of town and up into Fife for the Anstruther Fish Bar - http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/. The owners of that place have also opened up a placed in Leith, which I haven't been to yet but friends have said is very nice - Tailend Fish Restaurant.

Much further north, up on the Moray Firth, you'll find a wee place in Cullen called Linda's Fish & Chips where they'll take your order, fry it there and then and they also do a mean Cullen Skink as well.

In Durham, I've tended to go to Mahan's in Gilesgate - never let us down yet and you get scraps if you ask for them as well.

Edited by GeordieMessiah