Our Evil Ancestors

Christmas Tree

While driving the other day I go to thinking about Christians being thrown to the lions, as you do. It struck me whether this really happened, and if so how sick you would need to be to get your kicks watching someone torn to pieces by a Lion.

Anyway, forgot all about it til today so had a quick google and came across a site called...."The Straight Dope --- Fighting Ignorance since 1973".

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2...wn-to-the-lions

Quite an interesting read when you see what the Romans actually got up to. No particular written evidence of Christians being fed to lions as such, but "death by beast" was quite a common sentence.

During the early Christian era, the Romans executed some prisoners using animals, sentencing them ad bestias, "to the beasts." The beasts in question included dogs, bears, boars, and lions.

Speaking of Nero's persecutions, Tacitus adds the detail that the emperor had Christians dressed in the skins of animals before throwing them to the dogs, possibly to help overcome any performance anxiety on the dogs’ part.

Feel free to include any other "evil ancestors". I here the Chinese could be quite imaginative.

As a flip side to that,

I'm sure I read that 31 thousand people died in the Spanish Inquisition, including thousands (mostly Jews, Protestants etc) who were burned at the stake. This was in a book I read a year or two back so don't have any internet evidence... however a quick search can find me, http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsourc...nquisition.html which has a general overview on the Inquisition.

This was done by Catholics mostly to keep control on their kingdom from the "evils" of Reformed Christian (Protestantism being an example) etc, but also for political and terror reasons, plus nobody expects it.

Spanish History is one of my favourites so thought i'd contribute something "evil" from their past.

Google hits of "Pakis burning women" are never greatly accurate.

Besides, in most Islamic cultures that do things like that, I think stoning is preferred, I dunno whether you mean "Muslim" or "Pakistani" when you say that word. However Pakistan does have some cases of stoning, but hanging is the only legal way of execution. Besides, Pakistans capital punishment record is better than the United States, which is still mostly populated by "civilized white men". Go figure.

While driving the other day I go to thinking about Christians being thrown to the lions, as you do. It struck me whether this really happened, and if so how sick you would need to be to get your kicks watching someone torn to pieces by a Lion.

Anyway, forgot all about it til today so had a quick google and came across a site called...."The Straight Dope --- Fighting Ignorance since 1973".

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2...wn-to-the-lions

Quite an interesting read when you see what the Romans actually got up to. No particular written evidence of Christians being fed to lions as such, but "death by beast" was quite a common sentence.

During the early Christian era, the Romans executed some prisoners using animals, sentencing them ad bestias, "to the beasts." The beasts in question included dogs, bears, boars, and lions.

Speaking of Nero's persecutions, Tacitus adds the detail that the emperor had Christians dressed in the skins of animals before throwing them to the dogs, possibly to help overcome any performance anxiety on the dogs’ part.

Feel free to include any other "evil ancestors". I here the Chinese could be quite imaginative.

sounds like a night on the bigg market tbh

Scaphism, also known as the boats, was an ancient Persian method of execution designed to inflict torturous death. The name comes from the Greek word skaphe, meaning "scooped (or hollowed) out".

The intended victim was stripped naked and then firmly fastened within a face-to-face pair of narrow rowing boats (or hollowed-out tree trunks), with the head, hands and feet protruding. The condemned was forced to ingest milk and honey to the point of developing severe diarrhea, and more honey would be rubbed on his body to attract insects to the exposed appendages. He would then be left to float on a stagnant pond or be exposed to the sun. The defenseless individual's feces accumulated within the container, attracting more insects, which would eat and breed within his exposed flesh, which—pursuant to interruption of the blood supply by burrowing insects—became increasingly gangrenous. The feeding would be repeated each day in some cases to prolong the torture, so that dehydration or starvation did not kill him. Death, when it eventually occurred, was probably due to a combination of dehydration, starvation and septic shock. Delirium would typically set in after a few days.

In other recorded versions, the insects did not eat the person; biting and stinging insects such as wasps, which were attracted by honey on the body, acted as the torture.

Death by scaphism was painful, humiliating and protracted. Plutarch writes in his biography of Artaxerxes that Mithridates, sentenced to die in this manner for killing Cyrus the Younger, survived 17 days before dying.

In France, the condemned were placed on a cartwheel with their limbs stretched out along the spokes over two sturdy wooden beams. The wheel was made to revolve slowly, and a large hammer or an iron bar was then applied to the limb over the gap between the beams, breaking the bones. This process was repeated several times per limb. Sometimes it was 'mercifully' ordered that the executioner should strike the criminal on the chest and stomach, blows known as coups de grâce (French: "blows of mercy"), which caused fatal injuries. Without those, the broken man could last hours and even days, before shock and dehydration caused death. In France, a special grace, the retentum, could be granted, by which the condemned was strangled after the second or third blow, or in special cases, even before the breaking began. Afterwards, the condemned's shattered limbs were woven ('braided') through the spokes of the wheel, which was then hoisted onto a tall pole so that birds could eat the sometimes still-living individual.

and that was just for fecking copyright infringement...

Worst I've heard is in Guantanamo Bay where they would strap naked prisoners to loudpeakers and then play Cheryl Cole's music; loud enough that it would shake you to the core, but not so loud as to deafen the victim, thereby prolonging the torture. Delrium usually set in by the end of the first album.

:lol:

Aren't pakis still burning women alive if they play away?

I'm 3/4 asian and if you said that to my face I'd bite your nose off you Yorkshire cunt.

What's the other quarter, McFool? Just fucking stupid?

Aren't pakis still burning women alive if they play away?

I'm 3/4 asian and if you said that to my face I'd bite your nose off you Yorkshire cunt.

What's the other quarter, McFool? Just fucking stupid?

It's better than 50% stupid 50% Yorkshire, although the pair together = 100% the same thing. You old racist bastard. The sign of a true Yorkshireman is racism, never smiling, miserable, penny pinching, and a cunt (apart from Dave and Wykiktoon) I include my brother in law in this, the fuckin mug. You racist bastard. In 2011 people don't find use of the word paki acceptable, cos it covers all asians. Indians are nothing like pakistani's you mug.

Explain to this forum why you used the word "PAKI".