Erik Pieters

Barney

Know nothing of this lad all I can say is with left backs so thin on the ground why has no one else gone for him?

That said I'll take anyone over what we've got at the min.

Erm, because no one else has a scout as good as Graham Carr?

Do you really believe that?

No. I thought the "Erm" would help get my sarcastic point across. i should have used a :lol:

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to RMC - the people who broke the Ben Arfa and Obertan stories we have also bid for Aly Cissokho of Lyon.

I haven't seen him so can't comment.

According to RMC - the people who broke the Ben Arfa and Obertan stories we have also bid for Aly Cissokho of Lyon.

I haven't seen him so can't comment.

Very highly rated in France. Less likely than M'Bengue and Pieters tbh.

Chelsea and Arsenal were after him last year iirc.

Pieters is probably the best pedigree were going to get, but im not expecting him to grasp Premier League football for a few moth yet or be a patch on what Enrique was for us (If we do get him)

And getting M'Bengue seems a clear myth what some people seem to have jumped on, dont get your hopes up for that one, plus if we did we'd be fucked in the LB department come Jan/Feb when he'd be away to the African cup of nations

Douglas with an update

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-29227496/

NEWCASTLE United are battling to push through a move for Erik Pieters in time for the Wear-Tyne derby after a day of detailed discussions with PSV Eindhoven.

United are understood to be locked in advanced talks with the Dutch giants, but sources in Holland have indicated there remain “significant obstacles” to overcome before the move is completed.

While the transfer remains alive and Newcastle are still optimistic of landing their man, financial issues must be resolved before they can talk terms with the 23-year-old left-back.

Pieters, currently mourning his grandmother, is desperate to sign for the Magpies, but the £6million transfer of José Enríque to Liverpool has alerted the selling club to the fact Newcastle have money to spend. And that means the St James’ Park club are once again surveying a list of possible alternatives, which includes long-term target full-back target Cheikh M’Bengue.

Newcastle were also hoping to make a breakthrough in their striker search over the weekend – but nothing is now imminent on either Nicklas Bendtner or Eren Derdiyok.

Moves for both have not been ruled out but neither is understood to be a priority target at this stage.

Doesn't sound overly optimistic and it will be ridiculous going into the derby without a recognised LB (unless Ferguson is fit, but I wouldn't start him given the choice).

United are understood to be locked in advanced talks with the Dutch giants, but sources in Holland have indicated there remain “significant obstacles” to overcome before the move is completed.

:lol: Let me guess. We've bid £1m and they want £7m. 6 million significant obstacles to overcome.

Like I said earlier, I do watch a lot of Eredivisie (always on ESPN plus I watch many games online), and he's a good player if a little incomplete, he won't be as good as Enrique now but given a few years I think he can be just as vital to us as Jose was.

Like I said earlier, I do watch a lot of Eredivisie (always on ESPN plus I watch many games online), and he's a good player if a little incomplete, he won't be as good as Enrique now but given a few years I think he can be just as vital to us as Jose was.

Is he better than what Enrique was at 22

It's hard to judge to be honest mate. I rate him a lot but Enrique was playing for Newcastle in the Premier League at 22, and the Premier League is better than the Eredivisie. Probably not, but I don't think he's too far off. Even if he isn't as good, he's a Dutch international so 7 million is a decent price tbh (that said, Anita is probably the only other left back the Netherlands have, and I don't really rate him at all).

It's hard to judge to be honest mate. I rate him a lot but Enrique was playing for Newcastle in the Premier League at 22, and the Premier League is better than the Eredivisie. Probably not, but I don't think he's too far off. Even if he isn't as good, he's a Dutch international so 7 million is a decent price tbh (that said, Anita is probably the only other left back the Netherlands have, and I don't really rate him at all).

Enrique was shit though at first. To be fair he only played because our other option was Babyaro. I would like to think if he plays for Netherlands he has something about him.