None everyday things I have done

ajax_andy

Am writing a novel and have nearly finished the first draft. :lol: Still a crazy amount of editing and revising ahead though.

What's yours about AA?

Wow good work mate! How many words is yours?

Its a sci-fi thriller based upon the concept that TV Networks rule the world in a totalaterian society where everyone is brainwashed through advertising.

What's yours about?

So far it's been written shorthand so not sure exactly. I'd say in the region of 80,000 plus.

I'm writing a historical fiction book based around the life of a 16-year old boy from Plymouth who gets caught up in piracy. I loved Treasure Island and On Stranger Tides (the book, not the sorry excuse for a film) and took inspiration from them, but I'm going for a more gritty approach.

Can't wait until I finish it. Not really writing to get published, it's just a hobby first and foremost. :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a sci-fi thriller based upon the concept that TV Networks rule the world in a totalaterian society where everyone is brainwashed through advertising.

Have you cleared the copyright issues with Murdoch?

Am writing a novel and have nearly finished the first draft. :lol: Still a crazy amount of editing and revising ahead though.

What's yours about AA?

What's yours about?

So far it's been written shorthand so not sure exactly. I'd say in the region of 80,000 plus.

I'm writing a historical fiction book based around the life of a 16-year old boy from Plymouth who gets caught up in piracy. I loved Treasure Island and On Stranger Tides (the book, not the sorry excuse for a film) and took inspiration from them, but I'm going for a more gritty approach.

Can't wait until I finish it. Not really writing to get published, it's just a hobby first and foremost. :lol:

Nice one, yeah I read that it needs to be a minimum of 80,000 words if you want it considered for publication.

Mines all been wrote on the PC so far, god knows how you've managed to write it all in shorthand lol.

I've picked it up again over the last few days and am up to 18,000 words now... A long way to go but it's almost a quater of a book so I'm kind of looking at milestones in the writing process to give me motivation and not see it as an impossible task

What's yours about AA?

What's yours about?

Nice one, yeah I read that it needs to be a minimum of 80,000 words if you want it considered for publication.

Mines all been wrote on the PC so far, god knows how you've managed to write it all in shorthand lol.

I've picked it up again over the last few days and am up to 18,000 words now... A long way to go but it's almost a quater of a book so I'm kind of looking at milestones in the writing process to give me motivation and not see it as an impossible task

:(

What's yours about AA?

What's yours about?

Can't wait until I finish it. Not really writing to get published, it's just a hobby first and foremost. :(

:(

HAHA one that luckily has a grammar and spell checker lol!

Actually I'm pretty good at English except when I post of football forums :lol:

I often jot down short stories, but I've not the patience nor focus to write a book. Also I will find myself entangled in the minutia and lose the arc of the story I'm trying to tell.

I often jot down short stories, but I've not the patience nor focus to write a book. Also I will find myself entangled in the minutia and lose the arc of the story I'm trying to tell.

Yeah its hard to focus on creating something as vast as an 80,000 word story tbh, I think you need to have a good idea of the plot before you start if you have any hope of suceeding. When I started this book i had a concept and that took me to 13,000 words, but I got completely stuck and had no idea how to proceed from there. Now I have a fairly good idea of where the book is going and how it will get there and that's how i've managed to get it up to 20,000 words over the last few days.

I'll no doubt get stuck again at some point though and leave it another 12 months knowing me though lol

I'd love to try and write a book too, but I don't have the first idea where to start. Did you lot choose the subject first or have you always had that idea?

I don't think my English is good enough to write a book actually.

I'd love to try and write a book too, but I don't have the first idea where to start. Did you lot choose the subject first or have you always had that idea?

I came up with a concept and developed the story and characters from there.

Guest Geordio Armani
Charvski is a bit of a Walter Mitty I reckon.

I aint lying about anything mate. Believe what you like...

Course your not ha ha have you tried corn beef curry?

Had dinner with Franco Baresi (twice now)

Went snow mobile racing in Poland

Went sideways down the A1 at about 50mph after someone clipped my back end

Been swimming with a manatee (what an ugly fucker :lol: - cant recall which of us said that :( )

Been in a gas chamber (I used to be in the TA - NBC test for anyone who knows what Im on about) :lol:

Yeah its hard to focus on creating something as vast as an 80,000 word story tbh, I think you need to have a good idea of the plot before you start if you have any hope of suceeding. When I started this book i had a concept and that took me to 13,000 words, but I got completely stuck and had no idea how to proceed from there. Now I have a fairly good idea of where the book is going and how it will get there and that's how i've managed to get it up to 20,000 words over the last few days.

I'll no doubt get stuck again at some point though and leave it another 12 months knowing me though lol

Hardest part for me was actually writing to a plan. I never plan my short stories as I've always been able to handle narrative well. Now that I'm writing on such a large scale, I have no choice. It's best to have a bare bones plan, rather than a detailed one. That way you have more scope for telling a story and aren't limiting yourself.

I love writing, it's great to start a project and finish it (same with anything I guess). I did a creative writing course and learned a trick and a technique or two so went from there. Shorthand works for me; I like chilling out with a coffee and watching the world go by as I write. I don't tend to read too well if I'm looking at a screen as I get distracted too easily and my eyes get tired. Much easier to type up from a notebook (and also I can flagrantly show off with my 3 full notebooks).

Keep on writing though mate, trust me there have been many moments when I've been tearing my hair out but it's a rewarding experience. Expect the entire thing to change by the time you approach the second draft though. :lol:

Whiff of :D

:D

Brock, would you recommend a creative writing course? I've often thought about it, but never been sufficiently motivated.

Whiff of :D

:D

Brock, would you recommend a creative writing course? I've often thought about it, but never been sufficiently motivated.

If creative writing is a legit hobby then you'll love it. It's great to see how other people write and you're exposed to new ways of writing styles and exercises. Well worth a go if you have the time to do it!

I can think of a pretty good idea where you could start tbh

I don't think that really applies in taxis.

Queues of people pissed on Saturday nights getting taxi drivers to sign confidentiality clauses.

Sure :D