England v India

Dr Gloom

Yeah the fielding and the overall intensity in the field has been very poor. It's almost like they're only arsed about batting. I think Tendulkar's more bothered about his average / getting his 100th international century than owt else as well. Dravid should be a bigger hero than him imo as he's done nearly as much whilst being much more of a team player. I would've liked to have seen Sehwag mesel btw. Zaheer Khan is obviously a big miss for them too as I think he'd have made a big difference given the pitches / conditions. Harbajan seems like a twat so I'm pleased he's been shite.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fact that all of the tail can bat. There's only Jimmy Anderson that's got an average below 20 and even he can hang around for a bit. Plus there's strength in depth that we didn't used to have, particularly with the bowling. Tremlett looked undropable after the tour of Australia but you can't leave Bresnan out too. You basically have three bowling all rounders now with Bresnan, broad and swann.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I like the fact that all of the tail can bat. There's only Jimmy Anderson that's got an average below 20 and even he can hang around for a bit. Plus there's strength in depth that we didn't used to have, particularly with the bowling. Tremlett looked undropable after the tour of Australia but you can't leave Bresnan out too. You basically have three bowling all rounders now with Bresnan, broad and swann.

Yeah it must be just about the strongest batting line-up England have ever had. Plus they're all good fielders too. And like you say you have Tremlett to come back in at some stage (can't drop Bresnan at present as you've mentioned but I think Tremlett is the better bowler all in all) and you have Finn too. The only worry would be Swann getting injured. I happen to think Bopara has a chance of becoming a regular too as he has the talent and can bowl a bit.

Yeah it must be just about the strongest batting line-up England have ever had. Plus they're all good fielders too. And like you say you have Tremlett to come back in at some stage (can't drop Bresnan at present as you've mentioned but I think Tremlett is the better bowler all in all) and you have Finn too. The only worry would be Swann getting injured. I happen to think Bopara has a chance of becoming a regular too as he has the talent and can bowl a bit.

The modern day Ramprakash, only he's not as good. :icon_lol:

I think it's possibly more I want him to do well as he's good to watch. He's never a number 3 though.

I think it's possibly more I want him to do well as he's good to watch. He's never a number 3 though.

Aye, you're right. His arse seems to fall out when he plays for England, you can see it when he's batting, it looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Well if he can't come in and do it with this side playing the way they are then that might be his last chance.

I've put my hat in the ring, just in case like. :icon_lol:

Plus there's onions and shazad also waiting in the wings that could come in and do a job. Got to feel a bit for Finn and tremlett. Neither's done owt wrong but both might have a tough time getting back the side now.

Could be all over tomorrow. Gutted as I'm supposed to be up on Saturday. Would be nice to see indias batters put up more of a fight than their bowlers. Go down fighting and at least try to make a contest of it.

Plus there's onions and shazad also waiting in the wings that could come in and do a job. Got to feel a bit for Finn and tremlett. Neither's done owt wrong but both might have a tough time getting back the side now.

Could be all over tomorrow. Gutted as I'm supposed to be up on Saturday. Would be nice to see indias batters put up more of a fight than their bowlers. Go down fighting and at least try to make a contest of it.

It is so weird and fantastic to see and England team this dominant, ruthless and all round top class in every department. To have them looking this good and you have Tremlett, Finn and Onions not able to get in the team is amazing. We can bat down to no. 10 including some destructive players like Pryor, Broad etc who can score very quickly when needed and field well throughout the team with Jimmy Anderson possibly the only genuine fast bowler who can field in any position.

Also Strauss is starting to get more aggressive with his tactics and declarations which was needed and the whole team just believe they are the best and when we're struggling at any point one or more just step up and turn the game.

What we need to do though is get to no.1 and stay there by going and beating India, Sri Lanka and South Africa in their own backyards and we may need another spinner to kick on and help Swann when we're playing on flat dustbowls made for spinning. I'd like to see Rachid getting a chance at least in one dayers or something to see what he can do as havign a leg spinner would be something different to everyone else we have.

Is it just me, or would India's total have been seen as OK 20 years ago? It seems that the batting has got a lot more aggressive, and perhaps the pitches flatter and more dull since I first started becoming aware of cricket.

It is simply great to see England demolishing India with the same intense ruthlessness of the famous Aussie teams of recent times. Thing is, who can challenge the opening pair for a place? We have so much depth everywhere else.

Is it just me, or would India's total have been seen as OK 20 years ago? It seems that the batting has got a lot more aggressive, and perhaps the pitches flatter and more dull since I first started becoming aware of cricket.

It is simply great to see England demolishing India with the same intense ruthlessness of the famous Aussie teams of recent times. Thing is, who can challenge the opening pair for a place? We have so much depth everywhere else.

Trott could open, no worries.

Its such a shame Trescothic has the problems he does as he would still be a top class test opener and would give us yet another option in the squad if there were any injuries, but as Dr Gloom said Trott should be able to open if needed.

I'd say there's all of that, plus the change in laws to bouncing and lbw decisions has made an impact. As well as the fact there aren't really many great bowlers around today, not compared to 20 years ago anyway.

Carberry's another decent option to cover Strauss/Cook, played a few times for the As. Scored 300 the other day as well.

Hales and Root have been opening for the Lions recently. I haven't seen much of Root to comment on him but Hales has looked decent the few times I've watched him bat.

Someone's been reading through the gold threads recently...

(Never done this before, apologies for Stokoe's 'whites'.)

1313118229.jpg

1313118256.jpg

1313118275.jpg

1313118298.jpg

1313118348.jpg

1313118363.jpg

(All original pics from the Guardian.)

Edited by Walliver

Utter madness! Power cut at Edgebaston meaning the lights aren't working. Umpires decide play is unsafe - DESPITE INDIA HAVING TWO FUCKING SPINNERS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

25,000 folk in there being taken for a fucking ride. Regulations!