England v India

Dr Gloom

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see Botham refusing to commentate the other day? :razz:

What was that about? Did you know he insists on the rest of the commentary team referring to him as Sir? These are his mates ffs. :lol:

you should read David Lloyds autobiography, he talks about his co commentators at length and basically they're all knobs for the most part.

What was that about? Did you know he insists on the rest of the commentary team referring to him as Sir? These are his mates ffs. :lol:

Does Botham think this is still the fuckin middle ages? I liked him walking the alps with elephants but why do the likes of him think the rest of us should tug the forelock to him?

Does Botham think this is still the fuckin middle ages? I liked him walking the alps with elephants but why do the likes of him think the rest of us should tug the forelock to him?

Probably taking the piss. Ironic if not though as the establishment never took to him. I loved him as a player like but I think he's a shit commentator.

Because Strauss kept Trott on. :lol:

Aye, Bell could have done the gentlemanly thing and let them bowl him out first ball - He definitely came out of it looking the worst.

He was never going to do that under the circumstances. The England management team had gone to India and asked them to withdraw their appeal.

broad's a totally different player now he's pitching it up. man of the series so far.

He's got to do that all the time. He's a Glen McGrath rather than a Michael Holding type of bowler. He's nippy like but he's not the same bowler when he tries to knock batsmen's blocks off.

broad's a totally different player now he's pitching it up. man of the series so far.

He's got to do that all the time. He's a Glen McGrath rather than a Michael Holding type of bowler. He's nippy like but he's not the same bowler when he tries to knock batsmen's blocks off.

he's still got a good short ball. just seems the penny's dropped with him that the short stuff shouldn't be your stock delivery. save it as a suprise delivery or for the tail enders.

It had to be done (or Dunn) after that advert was mentioned. I've not brought myself to watch it, but apparently someone steals David's chicken, which is just not going to happen. He eat it all before you'd get a chance.

India don't seem to have much depth at test level, especially in the bowling department. Khan gets injured, and they're stuffed. We lose Tremlett and Bresnan comes in, scores 90 and gets a fiver. Beyond their star players and legends (Dravid, Tendulkar, Dhoni, Yuvraj), India seem to have few threats. Their tail is weak with the bat, and there doesn't seem to be any replacements for the best known players. Perhaps the obsession with one-day cricket is taking its toll on the Indian test side, whereas it is still a valid format for us because of The Ashes.

There's a few other factors but I just think (at test level especially) they're only really any good at home.

They seem to be quite an ageing side, I thought. Most of them are 30+ aren't they? Could probably do with a bit of yoof.

There's a few other factors but I just think (at test level especially) they're only really any good at home.

They seem to be quite an ageing side, I thought. Most of them are 30+ aren't they? Could probably do with a bit of yoof.

Aye, end of an era. It was on the radio the other night btw and, despite them being no. 1 the current side (iirc) haven't won in Australia, South Africa and it was 1993 or something the last time they won in Sri Lanka. They've had a long winter prior to this summer too like and remind me a bit of the way we looked going into the last World Cup.

Aye, end of an era. It was on the radio the other night btw and, despite them being no. 1 the current side (iirc) haven't won in Australia, South Africa and it was 1993 or something the last time they won in Sri Lanka. They've had a long winter prior to this summer too like and remind me a bit of the way we looked going into the last World Cup.

A lot of their big guns haven't performed, especially Harbajan and they've really missed Sehwag. They have looked jaded.

One thing that struck me watching the last test was how bad the fielding was. You can put that down to lack of organisation, motivation or whatever but I think a lot of it is down to old stagers who've done it all before & who are fucked off with and tired from being out in the field for ages. I think that carried over into the batting.

England used to be exactly the same in the days of Lamb, Botham, Gatting, etc. All unfit old timers who couldn't cart their arse round the pitch. These days England are very fit, focussed and up for it - they learned that from the Aussies. The older players like Pietersen and Strauss are in very good shape but there's also a healthy number of sub 30 players.