Better than we think

Rob W

He was fit for Real Madrid for virtually the whole season.

69489[/snapback]

He didn't play that much though did he?

69490[/snapback]

Something like 25 appearances off the top of my head, so he had slightly less chance of getting injured but his not playing wasn't down to his availability.

69492[/snapback]

I know, a lot were from the bench though, so there's less chance of getting injured etc. I just think he's been unlucky since he arrived here with injuries rather 'picking and choosing' his games. He's had injury problems throughout his career.

He was fit for Real Madrid for virtually the whole season.

69489[/snapback]

He didn't play that much though did he?

69490[/snapback]

Something like 25 appearances off the top of my head, so he had slightly less chance of getting injured but his not playing wasn't down to his availability.

69492[/snapback]

I know, a lot were from the bench though, so there's less chance of getting injured etc. I just think he's been unlucky since he arrived here with injuries rather 'picking and choosing' his games. He's had injury problems throughout his career.

69494[/snapback]

He's undoubtedly an injury prone player. And this has to be taken into account when considering his value to our team. He's never scored 20 goals in the premiership, and maybe never will as a result, which is a shame.

I'll reiterate - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to do better than we are after so much money was spent on new players in the summer.

69475[/snapback]

Have you mathematicians taken into account the 3 games before £28m was spent?

69477[/snapback]

Of course ;)

But come on! No club (with the exception of Chelsea, who are in a league of their own) has spent more money on new players in the last year than we have. Are shit performances and 10th place a fair return on investment?

69480[/snapback]

No but I think absences have been a factor (though too easily stated as well).

We need a run with the best 11/12 out to properly judge imo though I accept that the squad should be better.

69486[/snapback]

How often does it happen that a team is having its first XI available for selection? Newcastle cannot cope with injuries, especially they cannot cope with the absence of just a single player. IIRC it's 6 points out of 27 from games without Michael Owen.

I'll reiterate - I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to do better than we are after so much money was spent on new players in the summer.

69475[/snapback]

69477[/snapback]

Of course ;)

But come on! No club (with the exception of Chelsea, who are in a league of their own) has spent more money on new players in the last year than we have. Are shit performances and 10th place a fair return on investment?

69480[/snapback]

No but I think absences have been a factor (though too easily stated as well).

We need a run with the best 11/12 out to properly judge imo though I accept that the squad should be better.

69486[/snapback]

How often does it happen that a team is having its first XI available for selection? Newcastle cannot cope with injuries, especially they cannot cope with the absence of just a single player. IIRC it's 6 points out of 27 from games without Michael Owen.

69531[/snapback]

A very worrying stat. It's bad enough to be a one man team, but when that player will invariably miss 50% of your games......

69475[/snapback]

69477[/snapback]

Of course ;)

69480[/snapback]

I may have had a crack on the head at work, but I'm pretty sure there's 21 games to go, and we're the 5th best in form since over the last ten games, so I doubt 10th will be where our "investment" leaves us.

I may have had a crack on the head at work, but I'm pretty sure there's 21 games to go, and we're the 5th best in form since over the last ten games, so I doubt 10th will be where our "investment" leaves us.

69700[/snapback]

An alternate take is we are 10th best after nearly half-way through the season.

69531[/snapback]

Which tells me that we should forget about signing anything but a striker in 'the window'.

69700[/snapback]

An alternate take is we are 10th best after nearly half-way through the season.

69797[/snapback]

Plus we're in a mini run at the moment, but there is no evidence that these can last under Souness, in fact quite the contrary. 10th is where we deserve to be at the moment, I think where we finish depends on Owen's ability to stay fit and uninjured.

the interesting stat is that he improves our defensive record as well

when he plays teams play further back and keep one man to try and mark him out of the game (without luck) so it takes the pressure of that rabble at the back

when he plays teams play further back and keep one man to try and mark him out of the game (without luck) so it takes the pressure of that rabble at the back

69830[/snapback]

The very fact we carry a goal thread when he plays takes defensive pressure off the entire team. It also gives players an extra option (or at least an option) when they are in possession. The stats are still remarkable though.

69830[/snapback]

The very fact we carry a goal thread when he plays takes defensive pressure off the entire team. It also gives players an extra option (or at least an option) when they are in possession. The stats are still remarkable though.

69848[/snapback]

It's true, Bramble has an extra option where to pass, after out of play. Also the morale-booster type thing.

69830[/snapback]

69848[/snapback]

It's true, Bramble has an extra option where to pass, after out of play. Also the morale-booster type thing.

69863[/snapback]

I don't think Owen gives Bramble's hoofing an extra option. The difference is that Owen unlike Shearer still has the legs to run after these balls...