The Bargains Thread

Monroe Transfer

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also if you sign up to their rewards first program you get £10 off...

just remember to cancel wihin 30 days

Purchased purely for back to the future.

I'll sell one unopened to cover the cost of the rest :(

(If they don't just cancel!)

I thought cancelling would be false advertising?

My Dad once purchased a very cheap stereo because of that because it's what the sign actually said, they got the price wrong!

Similar to that though a guitar shop once had a guitar going for £99 rather than £600 and they pretty much told me to fuck off.

Sorry to possibly piss on everyones chips like but

Blah

Well yeah, I assume they're all more than £1.09 individually, that's sort of the point? :(

Aye true but even on the site i cant find anywhere that says that deal and advertises it?

I can only get to it through Tecato's link

Just me being Paul the pessimist again probably

Yep, I assume you got this off that ukdeals site?

I once ordered 30 crates of becks at £1.99 each from asda and they rejected it

but if you were in the shop and they had that price on I think they have to sell you it at that price, I used to just change the stickers round to get shit cheaper

Basically, if something's advertised for sale in a shop at a certain price, you can't insist on them honouring that price just because the advert/price tag says so. A binding contract for sale only occurs (and must be honoured) when an offer is accepted. The advertisement doesn't amount to an offer, it's known instead as an 'invitation to treat'. You only make an offer (to buy) the thing by taking it to the checkout and if that offer is then accepted (ie by the shop accepting payment) then at that stage its a binding contract and you can legally force them to honour the agreement even if they'd advertised at the wrong price. If they realise at the checkout that it's the wrong price before they've accepted payment however then they don't have to honour it.

Some shops will honour a wrongly advertised price even if they do spot the mistake purely as a gesture of goodwill/policy however.

Just in case anyone was wondering about the basic legals behind it.

Basically, if something's advertised for sale in a shop at a certain price, you can't insist on them honouring that price just because the advert/price tag says so. A binding contract for sale only occurs (and must be honoured) when an offer is accepted. The advertisement doesn't amount to an offer, it's known instead as an 'invitation to treat'. You only make an offer (to buy) the thing by taking it to the checkout and if that offer is then accepted (ie by the shop accepting payment) then at that stage its a binding contract and you can legally force them to honour the agreement even if they'd advertised at the wrong price. If they realise at the checkout that it's the wrong price before they've accepted payment however then they don't have to honour it.

Some shops will honour a wrongly advertised price even if they do spot the mistake purely as a gesture of goodwill/policy however.

Stop ruining our fun :(

Just remembered I ordered a pair of beckenbauer's off very.co.uk last year for less than £20 and they cancelled without telling me and took fucking ages to get the money back

Stop ruining our fun :(

That was just in response to Tom's/Idioteque's anecdotes about retail shop based price discrepancies and the queries they posed.

As far as the Zavvi deal is concerned, fill your boots. I have.

Can they legally cancel it? Is it just a really good deal in order to generate talk as a form of viral advertising?

They don't take the money till they dispatch, as loads on ukdeals have said the deal has over 2k views so if they've all ordered they can't have that many in stock, I've paid by paypal as some have said they take the money straight away so there is a better chance

Can they legally cancel it? Is it just a really good deal in order to generate talk as a form of viral advertising?

Tom, I should imagine they could legally cancel it at any point up until the item is dispatched, as with distance selling arrangements/online sales its far more about the individual T's and C's and (without looking into that) again I should imagine that they've got numerous clauses which ultimately say that they retain title in the goods until point x (which will be a very advanced stage of the bargain and thus as favourable to them as possible).

If it was deliberately done in bad faith (not sure if that's what you're implying...?) then they wouldnt be able to rely on those terms, but obviously it's unlikely that could be proved.

I was imply that they may have set aside an amount to sell at that price in order to generate a buzz, therefore advertising through word of mouth!