Striking Snivel Servants

LoveTheBobby

Teachers?

Any other outfit that consistently underperformed the way they do would have been shaken up years ago

Since I was a kid family incomes are up, standard of living is up, money spent on education is WAY up but results are worse................. the kids change every year but the teachers are the same

if they really work during the summer I'd make sure they attended the school other than when they take 4 weeks holiday - and maybe we could get them in for 7 hours a day as well like most offices.........................

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sick of friends telling me of colleagues whose teaching practises smack of laziness and are designed to meet the minimum standards set by bean counters. Teaching English shouldn't be about running through the cliff notes of Shakespeare or Joyce, it should be an holistic education of the child on the subject. Kids don't know what a fucking adverb is, for the love of God.

The sooner we stop treating Teaching as a business the better imo. You can't run that system to stats and "targets", teaching should be difficult to get into and as such teachers should be very well paid so that you entice better candidates to the job.

Teachers?

Any other outfit that consistently underperformed the way they do would have been shaken up years ago

Since I was a kid family incomes are up, standard of living is up, money spent on education is WAY up but results are worse................. the kids change every year but the teachers are the same

if they really work during the summer I'd make sure they attended the school other than when they take 4 weeks holiday - and maybe we could get them in for 7 hours a day as well like most offices.........................

leave them alone, they haven't broke any laws

Funny how the same people whingeing about the teachers are the same people who wouldn't do the job if you paid them double.

As a household consisting of a teacher and a nurse we are bound to be biased, but people have no fucking idea about half of what our jobs entail.

Funny how the same people whingeing about the teachers are the same people who wouldn't do the job if you paid them double.

As a household consisting of a teacher and a nurse we are bound to be biased, but people have no fucking idea about half of what our jobs entail.

Trouble is Cath, for as many good teachers out there, there's a score of fucking shocking ones. Teachers get a raft of benefits, and when you stack them up against the "education" that the kids are getting it doesn't seem balanced. I'm not saying all teachers are shit, I'm not saying they've got a life on easy street. However, They're not the saints they'd have us believe. I blame the curriculum, I blame the targets, I blame the governing bodies and I blame the parents... but the teachers aren't without fault either.

Oh, and you've got to be kidding about wouldn't do it for double. Course I would. Huge holidays, varied and challenging work, every weekend off, job security, beneficial mortgage rates, and the guarantee of always being the smartest guy in the room? Sure as shit I'd do that for £50k a year

I've seen the union 'ready reckoner' for teachers salaries- in essense it doesn't matter if you're any good, it's about how experienced you are. Them's the going rates, and that's it.

A few years ago schemes were introduced to reward teached for additional responsibilities and training through 'management points' but then that was all undone with the approval of the unions and it was back to the same old, same old. I've been surprised at just how many teachers are generally unsatisfied with how their unions have furthered their profession and generally apathetic towards them.

every weekend off

Not a chance. Not even close.

Edited by Matt

Trouble is Cath, for as many good teachers out there, there's a score of fucking shocking ones. Teachers get a raft of benefits, and when you stack them up against the "education" that the kids are getting it doesn't seem balanced. I'm not saying all teachers are shit, I'm not saying they've got a life on easy street. However, They're not the saints they'd have us believe. I blame the curriculum, I blame the targets, I blame the governing bodies and I blame the parents... but the teachers aren't without fault either.

Oh, and you've got to be kidding about wouldn't do it for double. Course I would. Huge holidays, varied and challenging work, every weekend off, job security, beneficial mortgage rates, and the guarantee of always being the smartest guy in the room? Sure as shit I'd do that for £50k a year

As someone who is not a teacher, and who doesn't have children who are being taught (or 'failed') by teachers, I would respectfully suggest that you still don't know the half of it.

I fully accept that there are poor teachers/nurses just as there are poor employees in every profession but for people to say 'well they get loads of holidays and every weekend off' is so fucking blinkered that it's laughable. We're not asking for a 10% payrise, just that the pension package that we signed up for (knowing that the wages weren't great but the pension was decent) would be honoured.

Plus, you would still think you were the smartest guy in the room if you were having pre-drinks with Stephen Hawking, so that doesn't wash! :)

every weekend off

Not being funny mate, but every teacher I know has plenty of weekend time to themselves. Even Little Miss Big-Boobed-and-Disorganised Walker...

Oh and still up for a point tonight? if I'm getting a lift to a Metro do you want picking up or owt?

every weekend off

Not being funny mate, but every teacher I know has plenty of weekend time to themselves. Even Little Miss Big-Boobed-and-Disorganised Walker...

OK, so a perk of teaching is actually getting some time off? You make it sound like they all waltz home at 3pm Friday without a care in the world for the next two days. I think you massively underestimate the workload to do the job well.

every weekend off

Not being funny mate, but every teacher I know has plenty of weekend time to themselves.

Well fuck me, workers getting 2 days off a week? Lazy bastards! Make them work 7 days and flog them while they're at it! :)

tbf Cath the pension package I signed up for isn't being honoured either. And just because I'm in the private sector, that doesn't automatically mean my pay is wonderful - IT pay in the construction industry is notoriously low.

every weekend off

Not being funny mate, but every teacher I know has plenty of weekend time to themselves.

Well fuck me, workers getting 2 days off a week? Lazy bastards! Make them work 7 days and flog them while they're at it! :)

Aye I think you're going a bit OTT there like Fish. The only scenario I roll my eyes at are the (admittedly few) teachers who make out they spend the whole 6 week summer break preparing for the next term. My brother has been teaching for 20 years now and reckons he's not once had to spend more that 2-3 days before going back to prepare.

But then i do see the higher amount of leave as one of the few perks of the job for teaching

tbf Cath the pension package I signed up for isn't being honoured either. And just because I'm in the private sector, that doesn't automatically mean my pay is wonderful - IT pay in the construction industry is notoriously low.

I didn't say it was confined to the public sector. It just happens that they are the people actively protesting about it at the moment and are being criticised for doing so! The goalposts are being moved all over the place.

I see Miliband has upset some of the unions by claiming they were wrong to strike whilst negotiations were still ongoing.

My brother has been teaching for 20 years now and reckons he's not once had to spend more that 2-3 days before going back to prepare.

It very much depends on the age group you teach- if you are a primary teacher with your own classroom, you will spend best part of 1 of the 6 weeks just throwing out old shite. If you're teaching GCSE kids and just move from class to class it's probably easier.

Just to be clear, I fully support the strike action, and the reasons for it. (Yes,even the teachers)

I have 3 sisters in law, two of them nurses, one a year head teacher, and wouldn't fancy either job.

My earlier post was merely to say that I think getting a day off on term time for The Wedding, since it was during half term, is a bit of a piss take.

Just to be clear, I fully support the strike action, and the reasons for it. (Yes,even the teachers)

I have 3 sisters in law, two of them nurses, one a year head teacher, and wouldn't fancy either job.

My earlier post was merely to say that I think getting a day off on term time for The Wedding, since it was during half term, is a bit of a piss take.

thats right, there are more than teachers involved here, and in spite of what I have said about the general political view of many of them etc etc, [doc and others, see the use of the word "them" :) ] I think they all have a right to strike and it's justified.

I hope people are reading the post by PP.

The answer lies in improved pensions for the private sector, and I wonder how long it will take the public to cotton on that MP's are nothing more than glorified Civil Servants too and should be subject to exactly the same conditions of service that they have voted to carry out - which I suspect would leave them squirming and shitting in their pants.

The answer lies in improved pensions for the private sector

The funding for which is coming from where exactly?

(the private sector being the one the government hope will somehow create some magical jobs from somewhere that will absorb redundancies from the public sector i may add...)

and I wonder how long it will take the public to cotton on that MP's are nothing more than glorified Civil Servants too and should be subject to exactly the same conditions of service that they have voted to carry out - which I suspect would leave them squirming and shitting in their pants.

Actually I'd count them as fixed term contractors and make them all self-employed and pay them for their actual attendance and work.

How you get a pension for life for what could be 5 years of work is beyond me.

The wide-boys who ran the Life and Pensions industry in the 80s and 90s have a lot to answer for - they signed people up on 13% growth rate illustrations which now surprisingly look like the con they were.

The wide-boys who ran the Life and Pensions industry in the 80s and 90s have a lot to answer for - they signed people up on 13% growth rate illustrations which now surprisingly look like the con they were.

Indeed they do. Still doesn't answer where the funding is going to come from today though.