Wimbledon

LeazesMag

becker 85 was my first proper memory of wimbledon. he was class, diving around everywhere.

Eh? You just said McEnroe was the best player you ever saw but he never won a Wimbledon after 84 (or any other grand slam). Yet 85 is your first proper memory of WImbledon?

Eh? You just said McEnroe was the best player you ever saw but he never won a Wimbledon after 84 (or any other grand slam). Yet 85 is your first proper memory of WImbledon?

McEnroe was slightly before my time, but I've seen plenty of clips of when he was in his pomp, different class. I remember his comeback well, and willed him to win. He was a big favourite in my house so I know all about him as my family were in his camp over Connors or Lendil. (Edit - even Borg, we liked a big mouth, brash yank, I guess).

Think he got to the semis of Wimbledon in the late 80s when he was past his best, which I remember well. Still had a better touch than anyone else but by then the game had moved on and was all about power and big serves instead of touch.

Edited by Dr Gloom

McEnroe was slightly before my time, but I've seen plenty of clips of when he was in his pomp, different class. I remember his comeback well, and willed him to win. He was a big favourite in my house so I know all about him as my family were in his camp over Connors or Lendil. Think he got to the semis of Wimbledon in the late 80s

Which completely contradicts your patter about seeing him in his prime :razz:

His autobiography is also well worth a read. Speaks freely about competitors, and isn't afraid about insulting anyone, unlike a lot of the dreary ghostwritten sport biographies I've read recently.

He was mint like. Can barely remember the final with Borg when he eventually beat him. Also have vague memories of him losing to Connors but the one that sticks in my mind is when he beat Connors in straight sets. Think that was '84. He wasn't very popular until his comeback as he was very much a spoilt brat on the court and only chilled out a bit when he didn't give a fuck any more (relatively speaking). Great commentator as well. Connors however, still is and always will be, a twat. Seemed like McEnroe ruled the world for ages but it was only about 3 years and he 'only' won 7 slams (in singles that is). Puts into context the era of current tennis players with Nadal, Djokovic and Federer. Murray deserves enormous credit for winning slams and an Olympic gold going up against 3 of the top ten players of all-time.

Have you seen him on the BBC's highlights show? He is constantly taking the piss out of Balding and the show format or at least he was when I watched it the other night for 4 minutes.

He was mint like. Can barely remember the final with Borg when he eventually beat him. Also have vague memories of him losing to Connors but the one that sticks in my mind is when he beat Connors in straight sets. Think that was '84. He wasn't very popular until his comeback as he was very much a spoilt brat on the court and only chilled out a bit when he didn't give a fuck any more (relatively speaking). Great commentator as well. Connors however, still is and always will be, a twat. Seemed like McEnroe ruled the world for ages but it was only about 3 years and he 'only' won 7 slams (in singles that is). Puts into context the era of current tennis players with Nadal, Djokovic and Federer. Murray deserves enormous credit for winning slams and an Olympic gold going up against 3 of the top ten players of all-time.

Yeah, everyone likes to moan about Murray but we won't appreciate just how good he is till he's gone and we have to wait another 60 years or whatever for a grand slam champion. I actually quite like the way he's just a dour scot who doesn't play the bullshit media game. Who cares if he's boring or miserable? He's a brilliant player unfortunate to be playing in an era dominated by three of the best ever players.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Which completely contradicts your patter about seeing him in his prime :razz:

Sometimes people talk pish because they try to put it across about how knowledgeable they are of the old days when they should just pipe down. I once had a row that SuperMac was better than Peter Osgood with this old cunt I worked with in London. How the fuck would I know really? SuperMac fucked off 2 years before I was even born, and no disrespect to Dr Gloom, but he looks just as big a mug here.

it's common knowledge that macenroe was one of the best of his generation, pointing that out despite being too young to remember him in his actual prime is hardly an attempt to come across as knowledgable stevie, you massive man tit.

it's common knowledge that macenroe was one of the best of his generation, pointing that out despite being too young to remember him in his actual prime is hardly an attempt to come across as knowledgable stevie, you massive man tit.

If I'm a massive man tit, you're a massive man tit with those boobs filled with silicone.

Nadal loses the first set to a what appears to be some Rasta gadgie from Ladbrooke Grove...entry requirements relaxed this year?...is it just turn up with your Burning Spear and Ethiopians LPs?...

McEnroe was better.

Am I right in saying that about 5 years ago about 110mph was considered an absolute weapon of a serve?

And now I'm seeing Serena Williams serve at 122mph. So are the blokes hitting it at about 140 or something? That's mental.