How do you think English literature should be taught?

Irrelevant Nick KP

How do you think English literature should be taught in schools?

Should Shakespeare maintain his throne?

Should rap and hip hop be included?

Should Old English be taught?

Should we put it in a historical context?

Which writers would you put at the forefront?

To get the ball rolling, I'll say that Shakespeare should be taught as the great one in English literature.

Rap and hip hop should be taught, as long as they don't encourage criminatl behaviour, and the teacher is able to convey their message to the pupils.

Old English should be an option, together with other foreign languages, but it should be compulsary to learn one language that isn't modern English.

Literature should be taught in a historical context. Shakespeare's life and times would be an excellent accompaniment of Shakespeare.

Well, Shakespeare needs to be at the forefront, along with Ecclesiastical history of English people byBede (I know he was a Mackem, so it pains me to say it), Beowulf, Chaucer, Swift, Pope, Blake, Bronte sisters, Dickens, Thackeray, Wilde, Konrad, Woolf, Wodehouse, Joyce, Owen, Heaney, Beckett, Pinter and Hornby.

I'll say that Shakespeare should be taught as the great one in English literature.

I think you may have been beaten to the punch there.

I did a degree in English and still hate poetry to this day. I thought I'd be writing stories and shit but hellllll no!!!

Stevie Smith's alright. I know what you mean though.