Choosing to die.

Who saw the Terry Pratchett programme last night? What did you make of it? What do you think of assisted suicide in general?

I read a review on the Guardian website, and in the comments a lot of people were mentioning Peter (I think that was his name) being in discomfort for a few seconds and asking for water after he took the second dose. That was an uncomfortable moment, but lasted all of a few seconds. I knew a bloke called Jim who died of cancer, and he was in absolute agony during his last few days (apparently, I didn't witness his death first hand, but went to his house near the end and he'd become incontinent and was in tremendous pain), he was screaming profanity and became delirious, hallucinating and all that sort of thing. My point being I'd take a few seconds discomfort over that ordeal. I only caught the last part of the programme where Pete and his wife went to Dignitas and he eventually died.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I didn't see the point in watching it, as there's not going to be anything like Dignitas in UK any time soon (as much as I do support such a thing). I watched the Wooton Basset thing on Beeb 4, which was both interesting and very moving.

Having watched my dad die of cancer over a period of about 4 months I'm all in favour of assisted suicide (or whatever the term is nowadays). Its utterly soul destroying to watch a loved one suffer a horrific, agonizing, lingering death.

I watched the program and listened to STP today on the radio talking about it. Hard hitting stuff but had to watch it. I like Pratchett and the way he comes across, especially faced with his own shrinking mortality. I completely and for "choice". To steal what the man says "who's life is it anyway?". However, there is always the problem of people being coerced into it by unloving family who want them out of the way "its for the best love".

Having watched my dad die of cancer over a period of about 4 months I'm all in favour of assisted suicide (or whatever the term is nowadays). Its utterly soul destroying to watch a loved one suffer a horrific, agonizing, lingering death.

Didnt see the program but agree with Axeman. We can get a dog put out of its suffering, but not a loved one.

Sure there needs to be controls, but I'm sure they can be sorted somehow.

Who saw the Terry Pratchett programme last night? What did you make of it? What do you think of assisted suicide in general?

I read a review on the Guardian website, and in the comments a lot of people were mentioning Peter (I think that was his name) being in discomfort for a few seconds and asking for water after he took the second dose. That was an uncomfortable moment, but lasted all of a few seconds. I knew a bloke called Jim who died of cancer, and he was in absolute agony during his last few days (apparently, I didn't witness his death first hand, but went to his house near the end and he'd become incontinent and was in tremendous pain), he was screaming profanity and became delirious, hallucinating and all that sort of thing. My point being I'd take a few seconds discomfort over that ordeal. I only caught the last part of the programme where Pete and his wife went to Dignitas and he eventually died.

That exactly describes what my father in law (and all of us) recently endured for 7 weeks until he died, still calling out and in pain even in his final hour.

Didn't see the programme but I think I've said before that after spending 5 days watching my Mam die (though she went quietly compared to those above) I'm a big proponent of the option. My Mam had a DNR order on her anyway and was being sedated with morphine so I just thought of it as a final line via the push of a dosage button.

My sister who was also there felt the same and we promised each other that if it came down to the same situation with either of us then the other would try and do the right thing as we see it if possible.

Missed the Pratchett programme , but I'm a strong believer in assisted euthanasia.

Seen several relatives and family friends suffer horribly, when all they wanted was a swift, dignified end.

As has been said, we put dogs out of their misery, can we not extend the same humanity to ourselves.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

I have never met anyone who is against choice, and most people I hear speak about the issue on forums/radio etc seem to be for it yet it seems like a distant possibility in terms of ever being a reality in the UK or Ireland.

The only argument you seem to hear about it is that it could be open to abuse.…

… well, aye, it could.

But the people who would choose to "off" their relatives to gain financially are likely to do it anyway imo.

And I'm pretty certain fairly stringent procedure would be implemented , were it to be made legal in the UK.

… well, aye, it could.

But the people who would choose to "off" their relatives to gain financially are likely to do it anyway imo.

And I'm pretty certain fairly stringent procedure would be implemented , were it to be made legal in the UK.

Unforunately there's a religious opposition to it as well. - the doctor in charge of my Mam's case stated she was opposed as "life was sacred". Of course if it's up to their God when you die then I would ask them why they believe in medicine at all.

… well, aye, it could.

Unforunately there's a religious opposition to it as well. - the doctor in charge of my Mam's case stated she was opposed as "life was sacred". Of course if it's up to their God when you die then I would ask them why they believe in medicine at all.

Did you?

… well, aye, it could.

Did you?

No because I knew how well she'd treated my Mam both medically and personally before that.

I did kick the hospital Catholic visitor out and had a go at her though - just lashing out at a bad time.