Cheick Tiote vs David Batty

David Batty vs Cheick Tiote  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who do you rate as better, and why? Was watching a video of Shearer the other day and saw Batty's distribution was pretty good; I couldn't see Tiote producing the final ball Batty did in some of his assists, such as when he set up Shearer against Fevenevenacaros or whoever it was in the European cup. This isn't a slight on Tiote, who has had a terrific first season. It'll be interesting to see how Tiote develops and if he can stop picking up so many cards in his 2nd season.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Tiote's opta stats were ridiculous in his first run of games.

"He made his debut on 18 September 2010 against Everton at Goodison Park. His debut was very successful – completing all of his 64 passes. He also made two interceptions, completed all five of his attempted tackles, and his only shot was on target."

That was my wikipedia edit, lifted the information from the guardian chalkboard site. :lol:

Saying that I think it's been edited after me! :lol:

Was never a big fan of Batty and can't remember any incisive through balls.

Always thought of him as a sideways passer. I think he had a negative effect on the team in that he seemed to slow us down and stop our momentum going forward.

I think in the holding role he was a good player but not suitable for the team we were at the time.

Always thought of him as a sideways passer. I think he had a negative effect on the team in that he seemed to slow us down and stop our momentum going forward.

I think in the holding role he was a good player but not suitable for the team we were at the time.

I didn't think they let you on the net at your new place....

Batty was always breaking up our forward movements by knocking the ball backwards and sideways. It Tiote keeps it up next season, he wins hands down.

batty was quite a limited footballer but he played in a pretty good side. tiote is much more of a modern holding player. comfortable on the ball, athletic, able to start moves off and as committed in the tackle as batty. he's just playing in a much poorer side.

I think Batty was a good player and possibly a bit underrated in hindsight. At the same time, I thought we played better football with Lee Clark in that holding role. He played class there in the first half of the 95-96 season and was unlucky to be replaced by Batty. I think KK wanted more steel in there as a few of the players seemed to be bottling it but Clark read the game so well that he never had to make last ditch tackles and get stuck in. I think Tiote would put both in his back pocket though.

I didn't think they let you on the net at your new place....

Batty was always breaking up our forward movements by knocking the ball backwards and sideways. It Tiote keeps it up next season, he wins hands down.

Have to use the iPhone these days.

Agreed regarding Mr T. If he continues this season's form into next, comparing Tiote to Batty will be like comparing Shearer to Cordone.

Batty was a great player, honest to god he would've been perfect to be a DMC for Barcelona, because he was so discliplined, he just used to sit and win tackles, and that was it. Also he never passed it long, always 15-20 yard passes, 99% of the time he kept the ball. Great little player. Tiote is more dominant imo, more imposing, offers more overall and that's no slight on Batty who probably had his best days at Leeds and Blackburn.

Batty was a great player, honest to god he would've been perfect to be a DMC for Barcelona, because he was so discliplined, he just used to sit and win tackles, and that was it. Also he never passed it long, always 15-20 yard passes, 99% of the time he kept the ball. Great little player. Tiote is more dominant imo, more imposing, offers more overall and that's no slight on Batty who probably had his best days at Leeds and Blackburn.

Spot on. Anyone that doesnt rate Batty has never played at a decent level. If the opposition never has the ball they wont score. He'd never give possession away and was a hard (but fair) bastard to boot.

I would'be voted for Gary Speed as he used to do the defensive work in our relatively successful champions league side. He seemed a bit of a ball winner but also added a few goals with his late runs into the box on corners. Started to go way down hill when he was sold to bolton.

I put batty simply because, in his prime he was one hell of a footballer! Tiote has had an amazing season but it only one season so far, Batty was consistently close to perfect. Ask me again in two years and I may well change my mind but batty just shades it as he did it year after year and we have only seen Tiote perform one season. (I must admit I think as Tiote gets older he will most likely become a better footballer)

I'd be interested to know if the people who prefer Batty are doing this on the basis of his contribution to Newcastle. As people have rightly noted, his ball retention was excellent and he was good player in his specific role. However, I think he was far more effective at Leeds and Blackburn than he was at Newcastle as I think his style of play slowed us down and made us less effective. I thought we lost some of our urgency after he joined.

Thought Batty was a cracking player for us, like. Completely disagree with anyone suggesting he somehow spoiled our chances. The players who started feel the pressure or lost a bit of form were unfortunately the players who got us flying in the first place. Saying that, Tiote has huge potential which if it comes to fruition wont be in a black & white (nearly said striped) shirt.

Edited by Howmanheyman

When Tiote puts the Vulcan Death Grip on a Man U player, then we can compare.

:lol:

Edit; Ah, just seen Fish's post above.…

… great minds and that. :lol:

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Thought Batty was a cracking player for us, like. Completely disagree with anyone suggesting he somehow spoiled our chances. The players who started feel the pressure or lost a bit of form were unfortunately the players who got us flying in the first place. Saying that, Tiote has huge potential which if it comes to fruition wont be in a black & white (nearly said striped) shirt.

He was probably our best player from his first game against Man Utd to the end of the season, so I agree that is a load of pish. The momentum was fading before he signed. People that blame Tino too need to look at the big picture.

Batty was class, one of the most reliable players we ever had. Wasn't so much a sideways passer as just extremely disciplined. Did really well for Blackburn and his two spells at Leeds as well. Batty didn't score often and neither does Tiote.

So far Batty edges it, but Tiote is great as well and in another season or two might have overtaken him in quality/contribution. Why so many have voted for Tiote after just one season is beyond me.

Edited by TicTacWoe

How do people rate Speed vs Tiote? I thought Batty was a better comparison.

Speed was more a player whp's true value wasn't appreciated till he left. Batty and certainly Tiote were better players although he offered more in the air than both by far.