Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the way Ashley sees it is that he's sticking his money in to balance the books so he's getting a shit load of free advertising by using the club. If that generates a good percentage of what he puts in then he's on a winner. One the other hand if a sponsor comes in and pays 10 mil a season he's still clawing back his dosh.

It's been stated time and again they want the club to be self sufficient so naturally they are going to look at every angle to squeeze as much revenue as possible into the club or in this case into Ashleys personal wealth while SD is plastered everywhere.

The reported 10m they get(should they flog the rights) won't be handed to Pards to spend on a player, it will,along with other revenues go into paying running costs etc. Just like the Carroll money has/will as im pretty sure there's a big chunk left.

The best we can hope for now is a decent company come in and buy the rights so it gets rid of his fucking company logo but as I said either way Ashleys onto a winner

The only saving grace could be any extra cash generated may allow us to hang onto/renew contracts for our important players

Before anyone starts I hate the idea of renaming the ground and am no way making excuses for Ashley I'm just looking at it from his perspective

I'm sick of reading about the 10m as if we all don't know it'll be called this as long as the cunt is here.

Also the suggestion that any supposed money is just about the only way anybody will be signed needs highlighting

As I keep saying, the £10m figure being bandied about is inaccurate. It's closer to £4m.

Well, in fact, to be totally accurate it's closer to fuck all given that no PR consultant is going to recommend anyone to actually buy the rights.

No it's not, any guesses as to what it is, is pure speculation.

I don't know what we can do as fans, but fuck not going the J69 method of not going works if you live in Chelmsford, Dublin or Oslo but not if you have a NE postcode.

Seeing as though Dekka quoted £8m-£10m for the annual fee of owning the stadium naming rights, if we can't overturn this, Ashley should plough £10m from his Sports Direct profits straight in to the club as a business transaction, otherwise he's getting a freebie the fat cunt. It's irrelevant that he owns both companies.

We lost 5k in attendances when KK got sacked so I'm not alone in my feelings. You keep getting yourself along to Sports Direct Arena, buying the pies and pints, look forward to the 'replacements' Dekka has lined up in the Summer and coming on here playing holy hell but doing exactly sweet fuck all about it.

If that's what makes you a propageordiesoopafan then I'm fucking glad I'm not tbh.

Seems a very apt day to reel out this Churchill quote

''I never worry about action, but only about inaction''

Great news that all signs in Newcastle will continue to refer to SJP so the name won't be forgotten. Not that it being forgotten is an issue, the club will change the name back when it is sold am sure.

Not really got my head round this specious argument that was clearly developed during the embargo period by the nationals that it's ok to rename a stadium if it's moved to a new location. Each one of them rightly pointed out the change in the name dis-respects the history and traditions of the game but then all argued that moving clubs from their traditional homes and changing the stadium name was ok. In what way does moving and renaming the stadium respect the traditions of the game more than renaming it? It seems the nationals used the embargo period to develop arguments that presented this going more against tradition than the recent changes at e.g. Sunderland, Man city, Arsenal. Clearly tradition played a much less important role in those commercial decisions yet it's been presented as the opposite.

I'm afraid I disagree Alex. Changing what you have always done (ie. going to the match, buying pies and programmes) is taking action.

Continuing to hand over your cash whilst having a moan on here about protests, sign destroying and numerous other things that we all know history has told us will never happen is inaction.

You can argue semantics all you want but pedantry aside you know exactly what Im talking about

Edited by J69

The ground's sold out tbh (more or less). People telling those who've already paid not to go is the 'inaction' dressed up as doing something which I'm talking about. We've been over this before like but it's an excuse. You wouldn't be going to games anyway tbh. You say you haven't been since Keegan left but were you going anyway? Did you have a season ticket then stopped going after only two home games or whatever it was? Nah, thought not.

Even though the numbers will never add up, nothing wrong with taking a personal stand.

As Gandhi once put it: " Nothing you do here in life will matter in the slightest, but it is still very important that you do it"

Edited by Saltwater

Great news that all signs in Newcastle will continue to refer to SJP so the name won't be forgotten. Not that it being forgotten is an issue, the club will change the name back when it is sold am sure.

Not really got my head round this specious argument that was clearly developed during the embargo period by the nationals that it's ok to rename a stadium if it's moved to a new location. Each one of them rightly pointed out the change in the name dis-respects the history and traditions of the game but then all argued that moving clubs from their traditional homes and changing the stadium name was ok. In what way does moving and renaming the stadium respect the traditions of the game more than renaming it? It seems the nationals used the embargo period to develop arguments that presented this going more against tradition than the recent changes at e.g. Sunderland, Man city, Arsenal. Clearly tradition played a much less important role in those commercial decisions yet it's been presented as the opposite.

That's the bit I don't get. In all this talk of destruction of history, for example, Arsenal built flats on their's, Highbury is gone completely. THAT is destruction of history, SJP is and always will be SJP.

Actually he may have played a blinder, he's taking all the shit, new sponsor (maybe) comes a long and it becomes FedEx at St James Park, "oooh look they've respected history and brought the name back" acceptance all round. (not that the name will go anywhere anyway).

Not attending is the only thing that will make a difference, however it'll never happen in great enough numbers so it is completely irrelevant.

Sadly no form of action from the fans will be in great enough numbers protests in any shape of form (other than the above) are pointless, we've had this debate numerous times.

no sense me telling people not to go as an OOT, but personally even if i was living there i wouldn't, it'd just wind me up to much being in the ground seeing people quickly forgetting whats all gone on since that prick arrived, and those two mongs doing that stupid shaking hands shite when we score.

but aye, talk of protests or anything else is pointless, nothing will ever be on a grand enough scale to have an effect.

Which is the point of my quote. It's rememberance day! Imagine If our soldiers just though fuck it, we'll let the Nazi's invade cos there's not much we can do about it.

Considering Stevie et al make such a fucking fuss about how awesome our fans are it's disgusting how apathetic we are.

Keegan wouldnt have let it happen, Shearer wouldnt have let it happen, Bobby wouldnt have let it happen.

MA doesnt want to sell the club anymore. Its making him cash now. Hes halved the wage bill, conned the fans into another 5000 season tickets and thousands more on 10 year plans, the outrage at us selling our best players gets less and less each time it happens. He's fucking laughing all the way to the bank and people are doing fuck all about it.

Sub 20k crowds for the rest of the season would have the worlds media sitting up and taking notice and would have MA looking like a prized bell end. I've done my part. So less of the fucking grief Stevie eh, until you pull your finger out your arse and do something other then bitch and moan on here you havent got a leg to stand on

How about if the 'SBR Memorial Gardens' were re-branded the 'Sports Direct Memorial Gardens'? Would that be acceptable too on the grounds that it'd have not changed physically?

Just because something hasn't been destroyed doesn't mean it hasn't been disrespected.

The ground's sold out tbh (more or less). People telling those who've already paid not to go is the 'inaction' dressed up as doing something which I'm talking about. We've been over this before like but it's an excuse. You wouldn't be going to games anyway tbh. You say you haven't been since Keegan left but were you going anyway? Did you have a season ticket then stopped going after only two home games or whatever it was? Nah, thought not.

I had a season ticket for 2 years. Buying a house stopped that but I was still going to 9-10 games a season and 2-3 away games a season. In the last 2 1/2 years I've been to 1 game. Suckered in by Ashley. I'll not be making that mistake again.

Im not sure what these 'I go to more games than you' arguments have to do with our current plight though tbh.

That's the bit I don't get. In all this talk of destruction of history, for example, Arsenal built flats on their's, Highbury is gone completely. THAT is destruction of history, SJP is and always will be SJP.

Actually he may have played a blinder, he's taking all the shit, new sponsor (maybe) comes a long and it becomes FedEx at St James Park, "oooh look they've respected history and brought the name back" acceptance all round. (not that the name will go anywhere anyway).

Don't some of these clubs have to move though as their current grounds aren't big enough and they can't develop them? It's still a kick in histories balls but is a bit more understandable imo.

Not attending is the only thing that will make a difference, however it'll never happen in great enough numbers so it is completely irrelevant.

Sadly no form of action from the fans will be in great enough numbers protests in any shape of form (other than the above) are pointless, we've had this debate numerous times.

no sense me telling people not to go as an OOT, but personally even if i was living there i wouldn't, it'd just wind me up to much being in the ground seeing people quickly forgetting whats all gone on since that prick arrived, and those two mongs doing that stupid shaking hands shite when we score.

but aye, talk of protests or anything else is pointless, nothing will ever be on a grand enough scale to have an effect.

Which is the point of my quote. It's rememberance day! Imagine If our soldiers just though fuck it, we'll let the Nazi's invade cos there's not much we can do about it.

Considering Stevie et al make such a fucking fuss about how awesome our fans are it's disgusting how apathetic we are.

Keegan wouldnt have let it happen, Shearer wouldnt have let it happen, Bobby wouldnt have let it happen.

MA doesnt want to sell the club anymore. Its making him cash now. Hes halved the wage bill, conned the fans into another 5000 season tickets and thousands more on 10 year plans, the outrage at us selling our best players gets less and less each time it happens. He's fucking laughing all the way to the bank and people are doing fuck all about it.

Sub 20k crowds for the rest of the season would have the worlds media sitting up and taking notice and would have MA looking like a prized bell end. I've done my part. So less of the fucking grief Stevie eh, until you pull your finger out your arse and do something other then bitch and moan on here you havent got a leg to stand on

It's about the team on the pitch on any given matchday and their performance on that day, is having the team struggle/plummet worth it to "get back" at an unpopular owner.

The only way he's going anywhere is if the teams doing well, he recoups his subsidies and he makes a wedge on his shares.

I thought the Norwegian who's never even been to SJP making a comparison with Gandhi was bad enough but fucking hell :lol:

I guess how big of a fan you are is measured by how many tickets you have bought off Ashley?

I dont really see how slagging off foreigners as " not real fans" makes sense.

I dont have any affiliation with the club through my upbringing, but I chose this team when I was 9 years old and have followed it ever since... Im sorry if my status as a foreign fan insults you in any way mate..

Edited by Saltwater

Don't some of these clubs have to move though as their current grounds aren't big enough and they can't develop them? It's still a kick in histories balls but is a bit more understandable imo.

It's exactly the same in principle, need more revenue = fuck history.

I had a season ticket for 2 years. Buying a house stopped that but I was still going to 9-10 games a season and 2-3 away games a season. In the last 2 1/2 years I've been to 1 game. Suckered in by Ashley. I'll not be making that mistake again.

Im not sure what these 'I go to more games than you' arguments have to do with our current plight though tbh.

Where did I say I went to more games than you? I've actually given my ticket up (for a few different reasons).

Expecting people who've already paid for a ticket not to go when you haven't bought one and then dressing it up as some sort of noble gesture on your part is what I take issue with. Anyway, we're 3rd and a boycott would be massively counter-productive imo. It won't happen though which you can call apathy if you want but imo in reality is because people love going to the matches and will continue to do so.

Thats like me giving up dieting to fuck off Rivita.

It's exactly the same in principle, need more revenue = fuck history.

The issue here is, this isn't bringing in more revenue.

It's about the team on the pitch on any given matchday and their performance on that day, is having the team struggle/plummet worth it to "get back" at an unpopular owner.

The only way he's going anywhere is if the teams doing well, he recoups his subsidies and he makes a wedge on his shares.

Up until now, I was of the opinion it wasnt worth it. The slider is slowly moving now mind...

Fuck off man. You jacking your season ticket had nowt to do with Ashley. Those Halcyon Volvic days ended because of your commitments, which is absolutely fine and a perfectly acceptable reason on the face of it, but I think it was more because we turned shite.

The point in bold, what can I do? Get his address off bobbshinton and sending chinkies, pizza's and fire engines to his door. What can one fan do? If no one went which would never happen they'd still only be £20m down, and could sustain Premiership football. You think a missing 10,000 would make a difference to Ashley's policies? What planet are you on?

I thought the Norwegian who's never even been to SJP making a comparison with Gandhi was bad enough but fucking hell :lol:

I guess how big of a fan you are is measured by how many tickets you have bought off Ashley?

I dont really see how slagging off foreigners as " not real fans" makes sense.

I dont have any affiliation with the club through my upbringing, but I chose this team when I was 9 years old and have followed it ever since... Im sorry if my status as a foreign fan insults you in any way mate..

You know what I was getting at. You don't go to games anyway so continuing not go is achieving what exactly? I would say it's an empty gesture but it's not even a gesture. I have no issue with foreign fans whatsoever. I take issue with people being hypocrites though.