Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, teeth in their glass and bed.

see a few post up the page ......

" anyway, if you continue to derail threads you should fuck off back to Newcastle Online."

While writing my first ever blog on this very subject (http://justasimplefan.wordpress.com) I came up with an interesting question.

If this is such a good deal to any prospective company then why hasnt SD actually snapped up the chance themselves? If I was AN Other Company Id be wondering that very same question.

Again brings us back to the simple logic, he has no intention of selling the name, will simply "showcase" SD for as long as possible.

The campaign by Newcastle United fans to keep the 119-year name of their St James’ Park ground has enlisted an unlikely new supporter - Jayne-Anne Gadhia, the boss of the club’s new sponsor.

The Virgin Money chief executive last week unveiled a £747m takeover of Newcastle sponsor Northern Rock.

The club’s stadium has been renamed the Sports Direct Arena by Mike Ashley, Newcastle United’s owner and founder of the sports retail chain, in preparation for a sale of the naming rights.

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Ms Gadhia says: “To be honest, I think it should be called St James’ Park.”

Asked whether it might be renamed the Virgin Money Arena, she said: “I don’t think that would be right for Newcastle.

“St James’ Park is part of the heritage of Newcastle and it’s important to local people, so for me it should be called St James’ Park.”

Northern Rock’s Newcastle sponsorship runs to the end of this season. Ms Gadhia said she would be talking to Newcastle United about Virgin Money might do after that.

Heard BBC Radio Newcastle refer to our stadium as, (roll drums)............'Sports Direct arena' in a news story about Nile Ranger. Cowards or Mackems in that place. The presenter in their phone in is a Mackem. You'd never tell, like. <_<

It boils my piss that Radio Newcastle has the mackems on like.

Anyone from outside the region might get the erroneous impression that sunderland wasn't a significant enough place to have its own BBC station , and that would be wrong , wouldn't it?

Edited by Monkeys Fist

They always lead with a Sunderland story. On the sports show, anyway.

For them to refer to St. James' Park as that abortion of a name, sportsdirect, well, they've no balls, really. Very, very poor effort.

I see the BBC are sticking with tradition...

Supporters have left scarves, football shirts and flowers across several football stadiums - including Everton's Goodison Park, at Leeds United's Elland Road, Newcastle United's St James' Park, the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium, where Wales played their home games.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15928380

Supporters have left scarves, football shirts and flowers across several football stadiums - including Everton's Goodison Park, at Leeds United's Elland Road, Newcastle United's St James' Park, the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium, where Wales played their home games.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-15928380

Would be incredibly poor taste to advertise the fat prick's tacky brand in the context of remembering a true gent of the game. Well done the beeb.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-15928380

Would be incredibly poor taste to advertise the fat prick's tacky brand in the context of remembering a true gent of the game. Well done the beeb.

I fully agree.... I bet Ashley's none too pleased though. But what can he say? If he opens his fat trap then he'll be cited as being insensitive. Nice work by the beeb :D

• 1 month later...
Newcastle United: Council plea over St James' Park name

City council bosses have said they will be appealing to the media to continue to refer to the Newcastle United ground as St James' Park.

In November it was announced the ground was being renamed Sports Direct Arena, after owner Mike Ashley's company.

Many fans reacted angrily but the club said it was a prelude to securing a new global sponsor.

Councillors agreed to write to media outlets "respectfully requesting" them not to use the new name.

The motion was debated, amended and carried unanimously at full meeting of the council.

It "requests that the city council write to the media and asks that they continue to use the name of St James' Park in all reporting and refuse to use the name Sports Direct Arena.

"We respectfully request that you take this approach."

'Ensures consistency'

The authority also decided not to change any signs bearing the name St James' Park and has called on the club to reconsider its decision.

Newcastle United refused to comment.

The BBC said in a statement: "As of 10 November, the Sports Direct Arena became the official name for the ground as chosen by the club.

"It is not the BBC's place, as an impartial public broadcaster to decide or debate on whether this is correct or not, rather to report on the matches which take place on the field.

"Changing the way we display the graphics or refer to the ground on our programmes ensures consistency with every other ground which has a sponsor, be it new grounds that came with a sponsor like the Emirates, or old grounds that have changed their names like Bradford City's Coral Windows Stadium (formerly Valley Parade)."

• 4 weeks later...