Disused airfield or army base or similar needed

ajax_andy

Does anyone know of any places in the North East where someone could just take their motorbike and fly around without the worry of traffic.

Might be a bit of an odd request and not sure if anyone will have any suggestions, but thought it was worth asking, as I need to find one where I can do a photo shoot.

Edited by ajax_andy

Brunton Airfield used to be accessible, not sure if it still is,

have a look through these...

northumberland airfields

edit; looking through there, Ouston might be a possibility too..

Hi thanks for the info.

I've had a look and it seems that only Brunton and Ouston would have suitable tarmac areas still, but unfortunately Brunton appears to be shut to the public and Ouston has armed guards lol!

Bugger!

The Morpeth one is at Tranwell, they have carboots there on sundays, but otherwise its empty.

Looking at the pic, is the the car park/bootsale area big enough for what you're after? It'll be empty mon-saturday

Tranwell airfield

That looks superb mate!!!!!

Looks like a mini race circuit with those bends and then straights!

I'm not sure how good the tarmac surface would be, but it looks like a perfect location if its ok.

Cheers for finding that :rolleyes:

No bother, if that turns out to be no good, there's one in North Yorkshire,

here 54 14 6.8 N / 0 58 11.4 W which looks the business. Bit further afield,North Yorkshire, but might be worth a try.

clicky

Edited by Monkeys Fist

No bother, if that turns out to be no good, there's one in North Yorkshire,

here 54 14 6.8 N / 0 58 11.4 W which looks the business. Bit further afield,North Yorkshire, but might be worth a try.

clicky

Yeah that ones a bit far unfortunately. I'll check out Tranwell next time i'm over that way and see if its suitable... and also that its possible to access it on a day other than Sunday.

Ouston (now officially Albemarle Barracks) used to be a stop off point for N Convoys carrying Trident warheads from Aldermaston to Scotland

i think there was a big compound where they could park during the day on their trip

Doubt you'd get much of a friendly welcome in that case

Ouston (now officially Albemarle Barracks) used to be a stop off point for N Convoys carrying Trident warheads from Aldermaston to Scotland

i think there was a big compound where they could park during the day on their trip

Doubt you'd get much of a friendly welcome in that case

haha no from what i've read they wouldn't appreciate people sneaking in, let alone blatantly tooling around on motorbikes lol :rolleyes:

I was having a beer with a guy who does rallying - back in the late 80's they were zooming about Salisbury Plain in the dark (well that's his story and he's sticking to it) when they ran into a practice deployment of cruise missile launchers from Greenham Common................

a very nasty hour or two in the hands of the Parachute Regiment ensued and many threats, starting with the Defence of the Realm Act and working upwards via the Official Secrets Act towards High Treason were issued by some very heavyweight backup..................

that'll larn them...................

I was having a beer with a guy who does rallying - back in the late 80's they were zooming about Salisbury Plain in the dark (well that's his story and he's sticking to it) when they ran into a practice deployment of cruise missile launchers from Greenham Common................

a very nasty hour or two in the hands of the Parachute Regiment ensued and many threats, starting with the Defence of the Realm Act and working upwards via the Official Secrets Act towards High Treason were issued by some very heavyweight backup..................

that'll larn them...................

:D:rolleyes::D