It's Yohan Cabaye

Toonpack

Both Tiote and Cabaye didn't look very good TBH. Tiote was more influenctial than Cabaye when they had the ball that's for sure, but Cabaye dropping back when our defense had it was vital in us keeping a semblance of possession. Shame that when he did get it he most often peddled it back off to a defender and it invariably got shifted back to Krul.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The better question is why are we comparing new signings to genuinely great players for us that built their reputation over a long period of time?

Personally I think he's a good all rounder that formed an excellent partnership with Tiote before the African Nations cup, not a £20 million man but probably worth just over half that and a player I wouldn't lose too much sleep if we sold.

I haven't seen tonights game but I do wonder if a few are starting to burn out.

Because CT pisses his pants in excitement over the littlest thing that any non-gompa would know not to get excited about. If he'd have seen Obertan pre-season for Man Utd CT would have banged on about how we had the new Ronaldo on our hands.

Also see Ferguson and Lua-Lua for him building players up after which we, and others, have seen very little of for him to build them up so highly

Unfortunately CT got carried away in his similarities and somehow it stuck on him.

Hope this lack of form isnt gonna keep on going for the next few games as I cant remember the last game in which he stood out and didnt let the game drift by him.

Cabaye has played 62 minutes for France since November. Using his international form as some kind of stick to beat him with for a downturn in form for us is plainly ridiculous. Obviously if he doesn't pick up by the end of the season then there's grounds for concern, but even the saintly Rob Lee went through some pretty shite spells for us. Memories are short, it seems.

The one thing Cabaye really has in common with Lee is his ability to shine when surrounded by better players. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but it's not - stick a bunch of confident, on-form skill players around Cabaye (as with Lee) and he'll deliver some excellently effective fulcrum performances like he was doing early in the season. Our ragtag form over the last bunch of games shows him up for not being a game-changer or someone who'll grab the situation by the balls, but that's not what he ever was, and nor was Lee (or else Keegan wouldn't have been so desperate to get Batty on board when he did).

Cabaye has been better this season than any of us would've imagined.

we gotta remember its his first season in the PL, so many quality players have had indifferent to decent first seasons in the PL only to flourish in their second season....Vidic, Evra, Pires, Silva, Kompany, Colo, Enrique etc.

with a whole pre-season under his belt and having settled in fully to the pace of the game I except him to be awesome next season...that is...if it's for us :P

I think he just looks tired. Which is understandable given that he came from the walking football league...

Just looking at the games he's managed in the past, and he's never dropped from the high thirties and fourties. Faster pace in this league, but i don't think he's tired. Just think it's as Jonny said. Difficult to shine when the ball is 20 foot over your head most of the game. Tiote sits deep and does plenty of snapping at heels so he can shine in a game like last night. Cabaye is supposed to be our playmaker, but he can only do that when he receives the ball at his feet in the opposition half. Very rare last night.

I think he just looks tired. Which is understandable given that he came from the walking football league...

Just looking at the games he's managed in the past, and he's never dropped from the high thirties and fourties. Faster pace in this league, but i don't think he's tired. Just think it's as Jonny said. Difficult to shine when the ball is 20 foot over your head most of the game. Tiote sits deep and does plenty of snapping at heels so he can shine in a game like last night. Cabaye is supposed to be our playmaker, but he can only do that when he receives the ball at his feet in the opposition half. Very rare last night.

I find it a bit frustrating that he doesn't put himself in that position. Tiote actually plays in advance of him alot of the time.

On the fatigue thing, I'd be interested to see if there has been a drop in his distance covered over the course of the season.

To me he was playing too deep. And I'm pretty sure hes been told to sit in by Pardew. It happens in too many games for it not to be a tactical instruction from Pardew. He needs to be 10 yards further up the pitch receiving the ball and laying it off left or right or up front. Him and Tiote look to be crowding each other sometimes. And his passing has gone to pot. First half last night was atrocious on the ball. Still, form is temporary and class is permanent. No shortage off effort from him, but the much maligned Arsenal midfield grafted their nuts off too. They pressed us all over the pitch, never really let us settle. I was impressed with them last night, Rosicky looking like the player he was pre Arsenal, a fuckin genius.

I'd agree with that, he is playing too deep and was probably told to by management as we expected to be attacked at pace last night. Good player, just having a few off weeks for form. To be honest though, I think the whole team looks like it might have hit a bit of a wall, we need a second wind from somewhere.

I think playing in a 2 man CM partnership against alot of teams who are now playing 3 in there and having played most of his time at Lille in a 3 man midfield won't be helping him either. It's no doubt a bit of bad form, I just hope it doesnt go on for long especially since we'll need everyone at their best if we are to push on in these last few games for a European place.

Really, the over analysis of everything Toon-related is starting to bug me now. Players will play badly some weeks and good the next week. If they were amazing every week, they wouldn't be at NUFC.

Not aimed at you, Meenzer, you big stud muffin, you

:lol: On a 24 hours a day, seven day a week, Newcastle internet forum.......... What were you expecting?

We sat too deep 2nd half, Arsenal exploited it and controlled the game I was surprised when Ameobi was brought on as Arsenal were playing a high defensive line and Cisse could have put pressure on that and if nowt else give us a bit more space between their defence and midfield. Cabaye's just going through a bad spell tbh and I agree he's been sitting too deep compared to what he did earlier on in the season, we're also not playing it on the ground as much as we did earlier on which means Cabaye gets bypassed.

Really, the over analysis of everything Toon-related is starting to bug me now. Players will play badly some weeks and good the next week. If they were amazing every week, they wouldn't be at NUFC.

Not aimed at you, Meenzer, you big stud muffin, you

:lol: On a 24 hours a day, seven day a week, Newcastle internet forum.......... What were you expecting?

The acknowledgement of a longer term view to certain footballing factors?

• 4 weeks later...

Yohan Cabaye reveals pal wants to join Newcastle

YOHAN Cabaye has revealed his France team-mate Mathieu Debuchy, the Lille right-back, wants to move to Newcastle United this summer.

The Magpies playmaker has been so enamoured with life on Tyneside that he has talked to Debuchy, who is understood to be on Newcastle’s radar, about coming to England at the end of the season.

Debuchy (pictured below), who is 26 and has been capped three times by France, is a highly-rated defender who can also play in midfield. Interestingly he also shares an agent with Cabaye, who admits he has been “surprised” about how well his new club has done this season.

Danny Simpson’s contract uncertainty means Newcastle are checking out alternatives who can play at right-back and Debuchy is close to Cabaye from their days together in Lille. The 26-year-old revealed back in November that he was missing Cabaye, although he is contracted to the reigning French champions until 2015.

In another move that will please the Newcastle fans, Cabaye has also restated his commitment to United, revealing that their progress towards qualifying for Europe has convinced him of the club’s ambition.

He said: “I have enjoyed playing in the Premier League a lot. I love playing in England, I’m thankful to Newcastle United for giving me the chance to play here. My family feel good here and I would like to stay here for a long time.

“I will try to repay the faith Newcastle United had in me by playing well on the field for them.”

The presence of Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa has increased interest in Newcastle back home in France, where United now have an excellent reputation.

It is a pedigree that has encouraged some of his old team-mates to register an interest in moving to Tyneside.

Cabaye said: “I told my friend (Mathieu) Debuchy he should come here. He said he would love to come to England and Newcastle. He would like to come here.

“Newcastle now has a big reputation in France. When we play, French TV now shows Newcastle games. They try to show every game and support them.” Speaking through a translator, Cabaye revealed that his burning ambition remains to return to Continental competition.

With his performances having caught the eye of a couple of England’s Champions League staples – Manchester United included – he would not be short on offers if he decided to leave somewhere down the line.

As long as Newcastle remain committed to keeping their best players, however, he does not see this as a problem. “My goal is to play in Europe again – either the Europa League or Champions League. Newcastle United is a good way to get that, so I don’t really want to change where I am if I can achieve that here.

“I would like to play in both the Europa League and Champions League – Champions League will be more difficult but there are seven games, you never know. I would just like to play in Europe. My other aim is to play in the Euros with France, which I can do if I’m playing here.

“I managed to play in the Champions League with my home town Lille but it is the same situation here. We need to build a big team – if each year someone else leaves the club it’s going to be difficult. It is really, really important to keep the players to build a big team.”

Cabaye still believes that this season offers the opportunity to finish above their current sixth place.

He said: “If someone had told me at the start of the season that we would have been sixth, however, I would not have believed them.”

Cabaye was in Wales for the first time yesterday, having flown to Cardiff with United before today’s game at Swansea.

“It will be very hard because they play really well at home against the big teams. We are in good shape, we’re feeling good so we believe we can have a positive finish,” he said.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/04/06/yohan-cabaye-reveals-pal-wants-to-join-newcastle-61634-30704994/#ixzz1rF9H1nRM

“I managed to play in the Champions League with my home town Lille but it is the same situation here. We need to build a big team – if each year someone else leaves the club it’s going to be difficult. It is really, really important to keep the players to build a big team.”

That sounds like a not-at-all subtle hint that he'll hoy a wobbler if we sell our big players...