Liverpool

The Fish

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be interesting to see tourist figures that removed people only going to Liverpool because of the shit boy band - can't see any other reason to go there for foreigners.

That's because there isn't one. WHY would you go there, like honest, question? Why would you go to Hull by the same measure?

People come here for many reasons. It has some fantastic architecture, a world renowned maritime history, a vibrancy that has always been there, a long standing cultural legacy, a fantastic war history, we even have places linked to the American civil war. The most famous race in the world watched by 10 billion, plus two football teams who between them have made it in to the most successful footballing city in England with 27 league titles between them. One of the most well known water fronts in the world, you'd be surprised how many people come just because they like the water front.

There is so much more and that's without touching on the music, merseybeat and such.

As much, if not more, than most cities outside of London.

10 billion ;) So there's 4 billion more people watch it than who are actually alive, must be fuckin massive mate!

Aye due to a boat that sank. Why did it have Liverpool on the side when it was built in Belfast by the way?

As already explained took a leaf out of your book of exaggeration.

Are you actually saying that our fantastic maritime history is due to The Titanic? I never even gave her a second thought whenn writing about our history. She was registered in Liverpool because that was the home port of it's owners, White Star Line.

You really don't have a clue.

Would be interesting to see tourist figures that removed people only going to Liverpool because of the shit boy band - can't see any other reason to go there for foreigners.

That's because there isn't one. WHY would you go there, like honest, question? Why would you go to Hull by the same measure?

People come here for many reasons. It has some fantastic architecture, a world renowned maritime history, a vibrancy that has always been there, a long standing cultural legacy, a fantastic war history, we even have places linked to the American civil war. The most famous race in the world watched by 10 billion, plus two football teams who between them have made it in to the most successful footballing city in England with 27 league titles between them. One of the most well known water fronts in the world, you'd be surprised how many people come just because they like the water front.

There is so much more and that's without touching on the music, merseybeat and such.

10 billion ;) So there's 4 billion more people watch it than who are actually alive, must be fuckin massive mate!

Aye due to a boat that sank. Why did it have Liverpool on the side when it was built in Belfast by the way?

Their maritime history stretches to more than just the Titanic Stevie. It was the wealthiest commercial port in the world. In the same way our industrial wealth was built up on shipbuilding, theirs was on maritime trade.

As for your query it was built in Belfast and sailed from Southampton but it was owned by the White Star Line who were based in Liverpool. It was up to them to register the vessel so that is why its home port was asssigned as Liverpool.

I know it was built up on the slave trade, the very purpose of the city is stained with blood on its' hands.

Didn't know that re:Titanic

Plus two football teams who between them have made it in to the most successful footballing city in England with 27 league titles between them.

I bet liverpool fans NEVER mentioned a combined total before man utd overtook them ;)

:)

Plus two football teams who between them have made it in to the most successful footballing city in England with 27 league titles between them.

I bet liverpool fans NEVER mentioned a combined total before man utd overtook them ;)

I have no problem just mentioning our own 18 Doc, I was just giving a summary of the CITIES footballng history.

Are you actually saying that our fantastic maritime history is due to The Titanic? I never even gave her a second thought whenn writing about our history. She was registered in Liverpool because that was the home port of it's owners, White Star Line.

Says the man who wasn't aware that only 6 billion people are alive today. Bet you were imagining little Cambodian's huddled round their black and white portables off some paddy field watching the national, you definitive doilum.

Their maritime history stretches to more than just the Titanic Stevie. It was the wealthiest commercial port in the world. In the same way our industrial wealth was built up on shipbuilding, theirs was on maritime trade.

As for your query it was built in Belfast and sailed from Southampton but it was owned by the White Star Line who were based in Liverpool. It was up to them to register the vessel so that is why its home port was asssigned as Liverpool.

I know it was built up on the slave trade, the very purpose of the city is stained with blood on its' hands.

Didn't know that re:Titanic

The slave trade was a small part of the maritime history of Liverpool, and as for blood on it's hands then fucking hell every person in this country was walking round in bloodstained material. How the fuck do you think Manchester became a mill town known as Cottonopilis?

Says the man who wasn't aware that only 6 billion people are alive today. Bet you were imagining little Cambodian's huddled round their black and white portables off some paddy field watching the national, you definitive doilum.

Wasn't aware? Oh do fuck off you nob. I don't imagine anything of the sort, I just accept it's the biggest horse race in the world watched in 140 countries with an audience of 600 to 800 million.

Wasn't aware? Oh do fuck off you nob. I don't imagine anything of the sort, I just accept it's the biggest horse race in the world watched in 140 countries with an audience of 600 to 800 million.

Horse racing fan, mate?

A couple of tips for you;

Dinner Hour, 12-1

Wet Paint, (Sticks to the fences, mate).

;)

Horse racing fan, mate?

Dinner Hour, 12-1

;)

Dusty Carpet, never been beaten.

Horse racing fan, mate?

Dinner Hour, 12-1

:blush:

Yeah a horse racing fan, go to the local courses 6 or 7 times a year. Thanks for the tips, here's one for you, Ironing Board, you can put your shirt on it.

With reference to the one who was totally ignorant of Liverpools maritime history, maybe you should take a trip tp our Maritime Museum. As already pointed out it doesn't do too badly on the visitor numbers, as don't some of the other free attractions in Liverpool.

Over a million visits to Merseyside Maritime Museum

Last time I was in the NE I stayed at Beamish Hall, not too good on the hotel capabilities but the building is stunning, different to most country houses I've seen. Just couldn't put my finger on what it was but it's a beautiful old place. Also, The Stables is a really good restaurant, was impressed with the whole set up.

Funny enough HMHM, I was at a concert in Liverpool a few years ago and went outside for a smoke, for which a tent was set up. Saw Alan Bleasedale as soon as I walked in, but I'm all for giving people their privacy so just gave a bit of a smile and lit up.

There were a few people there and one woman started engaging him in conversation with the opening gambit of ' I thought Boys From The Blackstuff was the best drama I've seen on tele'. He'd had a few and just said 'Oh ffs, I wrote that 20 years ago and I've done a lot more since then, I'm sick of Blackstuff' The woman looked mortified but I was glad I hadn't talked to him because I'd have had to bring Blackstuff in to the coversation too.

I loved 'Boys from the black stuff' to be fair. Bleak times in certain Labour supporting heartlands and Black stuff was the dark side of the brilliant Auf Weidersehen Pet.

Completely agree with that. I've got the box sets of both of them. The pilot episode of BFTBS is set in Middlesborough and is much more light hearted, reminds me of what Auf Wiedersehen Pet later became.

Regarding Liverpool, I was there for three days this spring, and lived there for 5 years previously. The transformation of the city centre is nothing short of amazing, comparable to the quayside now and like it was in the 80s. I don't really know how anyone who has actually been there recently could honestly slag it off. Of course some of the surrounding areas are utter shit holes, but then if you visited Newcastle you'd hardly stay in Byker or Benwell, would you? Definitely worth a visit imo.

I loved 'Boys from the black stuff' to be fair. Bleak times in certain Labour supporting heartlands and Black stuff was the dark side of the brilliant Auf Weidersehen Pet.

Completely agree with that. I've got the box sets of both of them. The pilot episode of BFTBS is set in Middlesborough and is much more light hearted, reminds me of what Auf Wiedersehen Pet later became.

Regarding Liverpool, I was there for three days this spring, and lived there for 5 years previously. The transformation of the city centre is nothing short of amazing, comparable to the quayside now and like it was in the 80s. I don't really know how anyone who has actually been there recently could honestly slag it off. Of course some of the surrounding areas are utter shit holes, but then if you visited Newcastle you'd hardly stay in Byker or Benwell, would you? Definitely worth a visit imo.

What's wrong with Byker and Walker like? Better than Kensington, Everton and Anfield by a million miles.

What's wrong with Byker and Walker like? Better than Kensington, Everton and Anfield by a million miles.

Completely agree, but I wouldn't stay in any of them voluntarily (actually Byker's not so bad nowadays). Have you been to Liverpool city centre recently Stevie?

Completely agree, but I wouldn't stay in any of them voluntarily (actually Byker's not so bad nowadays). Have you been to Liverpool city centre recently Stevie?

2008 last time I was there, wasn't hugely impressed. one really random nice largely Edwardian building near the station in the middle of the roundabout impressed me, although I didn't see the docks.

It's not random, it's part of The William Brown Street conservation area which also contains, The William Brown Library, World Museum Liverpool, Walker Art Gallery, St Johns Gardens, County Sessions House and various bits like the Steble Fountain and Wellington Memorial. There is also The Empire Theatre, and what used to be The Great North Western Hotel (now student accomodation) and Lime Street Station.

St Georges Hall was originally built for festivals, concerts, meetings, and Crown Court (which was still being used up until 1984) It's a fabulous building inside as well with it's Minton Floor, Great Concert Hall, the worlds first modern air conditiong system, and it was a place greatly favoured by Charles Dickens who gave a world premiere reading of his 'A Christmas Carol' there.

Have driven through Benwell and Byker, how the hell you can ask what's wrong with it and then go on to slag places in Liverpool is really funny.

Edited by Pacinofan

It's not random, it's part of The William Brown Street conservation area which also contains, The William Brown Library, World Museum Liverpool, Walker Art Gallery, St Johns Gardens, County Sessions House and various bits like the Steble Fountain and Wellington Memorial. There is also The Empire Theatre, and what used to be The Great North Western Hotel (now student accomodation) and Lime Street Station.

St Georges Hall was originally built for festivals, concerts, meetings, and Crown Court (which was still being used up until 1984) It's a fabulous building inside as well with it's Minton Floor, Great Concert Hall, the worlds first modern air conditiong system, and it was a place greatly favoured by Charles Dickens who gave a world premiere reading of his 'A Christmas Carol' there.

Have driven through Benwell and Byker, how the hell you can ask what's wrong with it and then go on to slag places in Liverpool is really funny.

Byker's like fuckin Alderley Edge compared to the districts I've mentioned, well Benwell in comparison is still better.

You really are the most deluded soul I've ever come across on the net, but there you go, you're entitled to your opinion. It's just funny how so many of YOUR opinions though prove to be absolute shite.

This is where I say, I'd rather live in Toxteth than Benwell anyday.

Still PMSL at your random comment.

You really are the most deluded soul I've ever come across on the net, but there you go, you're entitled to your opinion. It's just funny how so many of YOUR opinions though prove to be absolute shite.

This is where I say, I'd rather live in Toxteth than Benwell anyday.

Still PMSL at your random comment.

Renton agreed with my assertion so he must be deluded too, you fuckin mongo. I'd rather live in the most sectarian dangerous district of Kabul than Toxteth mate. I would as well. At least the accent wouldn't be as shite.