Liverpool

The Fish

Gets lots of visitors, but not many of them British, which probably speaks volumes. Only 30 miles away from me but really absolutely no need to go there, ever.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me mate works for the OB, as an OB. He was saying some of the kids he worked with have worked for Merseyside OB, and their crime rates aren't much different from Northumbria police. What he did say though was, something that is seen as a crime here, isn't necessarily reported as a crime there because it happens so often, and the figures are completely doctored.

What? You telling me that any self respecting Scouser would miss out on a chance to make a claim?

Load of shit really. If one police force in this country doctors figures then you can rest assured every other force does exactly the same.

Merseyside's crime figures have been going down steadily year on year, but as to how good or bad they are coming down from is anyones guess, unless Fish, who seems to have nothing better to do, could look in to it.

The reported crimes are reducing across the country, even in Liverpool. I honestly believe this provides only a portion of the facts, how many crimes aren't being reported, how many crimes are being re-classified. Especially when officers have targets to meet. Changing one crime to another by simple interpretation can make "violent Crime" in the neighbourhood take a nose dive. It's easier to gauge performance with ticks in a box, rather than invested assessment.

However you duke the stats, Liverpool's reputation seems merited.

Just sayin'

Same as for ALL forces so nothing there to distinguish Liverpool from any others.

You say 'seems to be merited', which is your perception and you're entitled to it, but actually Liverpool is one of the safest city centres in the UK. It has a hard edge yeah, but that adds to the excitement for many people.

Most things here are on the up although there are still problems, as with most towns and cities, but a lot of progress has been made over the last decade or so. We're usually in the top ten of most things, retail, tourism, uk cities to see before you die etc....so, happily, your perception doesn't stretch to the evryone in the UK.

Yeah, just what you're looking for on any trip away, that wonderful attraction of the possibility of getting stabbed or nutted - it fuels the buzz of any trip away that.

Why do the outer suburbs of Liverpool certainly appear to be completely boarded up?

I'm an away season ticket holder and sadly there is nowhere else to compare to that depressing spectacle in any other major city we have visisted in the last few seasons...and it seems that its been that way in Liverpool for years tbh.

I understand urban regeneration and its gone on in other major cities for the last 3 decades, but why are there huge swathes of your city condemned in the 21st century?

You're right of course Paddock Lad. It all centres around LFC when they wanted to extend, and two old ladies, whose house was in the way, held them up for nearly ten years. After that Liverpool bought up every house as it became empty and boarded them up. The council started doing the same with those that they owned with a view to regeneration of the whole area.

LFC will be responsible for a good part of the regeneration and the whole lot was planned around the new ground and was the reason that LCC gave planning permission for Stanley Park. As we all know our previous owners talked alot about a new ground, and spent a lot of money in the process, but the spades still haven't gone in to the ground. Our new owners are, as yet, undecided about a new ground and if they decide to do up Anfield christ knows where it will leave the boarded up houses.

Edited by Pacinofan

I disagree with you totally Tom.

I have nothing against Newcastle at all, it's a nice place but I think Liverpool pisses all over it. Don't really want to get abusive, even in a mild way, but the irony in your confused drunks comment is laughable.

There isn't anywhere in the UK that didn't benefit from the slave trade unless they walked around naked, and much of Liverpools architecture was built well after the abolition. Liverpool is very much on the up and in many things leaves Newcastle well behind.

Fucking hell :lol: is it possible Pacinofan believes that? Is it? Has to be a wind up?

Me mate works for the OB, as an OB. He was saying some of the kids he worked with have worked for Merseyside OB, and their crime rates aren't much different from Northumbria police. What he did say though was, something that is seen as a crime here, isn't necessarily reported as a crime there because it happens so often, and the figures are completely doctored.

What? You telling me that any self respecting Scouser would miss out on a chance to make a claim?

Load of shit really. If one police force in this country doctors figures then you can rest assured every other force does exactly the same.

Merseyside's crime figures have been going down steadily year on year, but as to how good or bad they are coming down from is anyones guess, unless Fish, who seems to have nothing better to do, could look in to it.

The reported crimes are reducing across the country, even in Liverpool. I honestly believe this provides only a portion of the facts, how many crimes aren't being reported, how many crimes are being re-classified. Especially when officers have targets to meet. Changing one crime to another by simple interpretation can make "violent Crime" in the neighbourhood take a nose dive. It's easier to gauge performance with ticks in a box, rather than invested assessment.

However you duke the stats, Liverpool's reputation seems merited.

Just sayin'

Same as for ALL forces so nothing there to distinguish Liverpool from any others.

You say 'seems to be merited', which is your perception and you're entitled to it, but actually Liverpool is one of the safest city centres in the UK. It has a hard edge yeah, but that adds to the excitement for many people.

Most things here are on the up although there are still problems, as with most towns and cities, but a lot of progress has been made over the last decade or so. We're usually in the top ten of most things, retail, tourism, uk cities to see before you die etc....so, happily, your perception doesn't stretch to the evryone in the UK.

Yeah, just what you're looking for on any trip away, that wonderful attraction of the possibility of getting stabbed or nutted - it fuels the buzz of any trip away that.

One of the safest city centres in the country, with a purple flag to prove it, although I wouldn't condone it, I could understand if the likes of you got attacked in some way. We don't like Billy Big Bollicks types with loud mouths round here.

One of the safest city centres in the country, with a purple flag to prove it, although I wouldn't condone it, I could understand if the likes of you got attacked in some way. We don't like Billy Big Bollicks types with loud mouths round here.

:lol: I can imagine, what with there being such a dearth of that type of character on Merseyside.

I disagree with you totally Tom.

I have nothing against Newcastle at all, it's a nice place but I think Liverpool pisses all over it. Don't really want to get abusive, even in a mild way, but the irony in your confused drunks comment is laughable.

There isn't anywhere in the UK that didn't benefit from the slave trade unless they walked around naked, and much of Liverpools architecture was built well after the abolition. Liverpool is very much on the up and in many things leaves Newcastle well behind.

Fucking hell :lol: is it possible Pacinofan believes that? Is it? Has to be a wind up?

Oh yeah, I certainly believe it and so do many others. Each to his own though eh?

:lol: I can imagine, what with there being such a dearth of that type of character on Merseyside.

Yeah, we have them, and they also come unstuck at times but an oot doing it would be far less tolerated.

Yeah, we have them, and they also come unstuck at times but an oot doing it would be far less tolerated.

Well I can relate to that comment like.

Gets lots of visitors, but not many of them British, which probably speaks volumes. Only 30 miles away from me but really absolutely no need to go there, ever.

Do you have figures for that manc mag, I'd be interested, because I worked in the city centre for around 20 years and came across as many UK citizens visiting the city as I did foreigners?

I realise anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything.

I read somewhere that Manchester was the 3rd most visited city, but that people using the airport were included in the figures. I realise that the same would apply to all cities with airports, but Manchester airport must be 2nd or 3rd in the country for passenger numbers.

Do you have figures for that manc mag, I'd be interested, because I worked in the city centre for around 20 years and came across as many UK citizens visiting the city as I did foreigners?

I read somewhere that Manchester was the 3rd most visited city, but that people using the airport were included in the figures. I realise that the same would apply to all cities with airports, but Manchester airport must be 2nd or 3rd in the country for passenger numbers.

Don't have the source but I'm pretty sure Liverpool's overall tourist numbers are more heavily skewed towards the foreign visitor when compared to other comparable cities. Manchester's is also kept conspicuously high by Man U though I concede. Newcastle is by far more UK based tourists. Hardly any there for eg the football (Man U/Liverpool) or the music (Beatles), all there for the present day vibrancy of the city (ie stag and hen parties getting slaughtered).

Don't have the source but I'm pretty sure Liverpool's overall tourist numbers are more heavily skewed towards the foreign visitor when compared to other comparable cities. Manchester's is also kept conspicuously high by Man U though I concede. Newcastle is by far more UK based tourists. Hardly any there for eg the football (Man U/Liverpool) or the music (Beatles), all there for the present day vibrancy of the city (ie stag and hen parties getting slaughtered).

We'll have to agree to disagree then manc-mag. Our biggest group of week-enders are from Ireland, but you're right in as much as we do get more foreign visitors than Newcastle. I'd say it's half and half.

Here's the International visitor top 20

Most popular UK cities

Statistically, scousers are amongst the stupidest people in Europe

Tell that to John Lennon!

Who got out of there as fast as he could as soon as he could afford it, just like every other rich scouser does.

Also officially the worst supporters in Europe, and that's UEFA's word, not mine.

We'll have to agree to disagree then manc-mag. Our biggest group of week-enders are from Ireland, but you're right in as much as we do get more foreign visitors than Newcastle. I'd say it's half and half.

Here's the International visitor top 20

Most popular UK cities

We've already done this, using the latest Tourism Uk figures, the North East has more visitors than Merseyside. Which makes sense when you think about it and although thats a far bigger area as it represents Tyne & Wear and Northumberland, anyone from the region would classify all that as essential to see on a visit to the area.

Your list also has Birmingham at number 4 so it isnt measuring camera-carrying, baseball cap-wearing yanks piling in off luxury coaches to see the sights. No fucking tourists go to Birmingham but it does get international visitors on drug deals and selling engine parts. Bit like your shit-hole tbh, minus the engine parts.

I see, so in your little world the whole of the North East is counted as one, but you'll seperate Merseyside from the North West. Good swerve, pity it says more about your own delusions than your areas attractiveness to visitors.

Funny how this shithole pops up on peoples list of places to visit so often don't you think?

From The Telegraph and probably a year or so old now but, no mention of Newcastle. Mind you, I suppose you could always say that they've already been there. :lol:

These were the cities Britons most wanted to visit before dying:

1. Edinburgh

2. Bath

3. Liverpool

4. Belfast

5. Glasgow

6. Oxford

7. London

8. Cardiff

9. York

10. Cambridge

I see, so in your little world the whole of the North East is counted as one, but you'll seperate Merseyside from the North West. Good swerve, pity it says more about your own delusions than your areas attractiveness to visitors.

Funny how this shithole pops up on peoples list of places to visit so often don't you think?

From The Telegraph and probably a year or so old now but, no mention of Newcastle. Mind you, I suppose you could always say that they've already been there. :D

1. Edinburgh

2. Bath

3. Liverpool

4. Belfast

5. Glasgow

6. Oxford

7. London

8. Cardiff

9. York

10. Cambridge

Yeah I've always dreamed of going Bath and Cambridge before I die. Those visits would complete me. :lol: Talk about scraping the fucking barrel.

What a load of utter shite. The only possible reason you would go to Liverpool is to get a passport, football, or to get your photo taken beside the Penny Lane sign. That's being honest.

From the same paper....

Our Great North Vote has produced a worthy winner, reports Richard Holledge

We have a winner for the best city in the North and Midlands. After two months reporting on the virtues (and vices) of the country’s most dynamic cities, Newcastle nicks in ahead of their old rivals Liverpool.

A revitalised Tyneside attracted 35 per cent of the votes – its Merseyside rival 30 per cent. Manchester came in third with 18 with Leeds and Sheffield sharing the next spot. Birmingham – whose supporters were reluctant to place arguably the UK’s second city in “the North” – lagged way behind in sixth place, never rising above three per cent.

So the Toon Army can compensate for the bitter memories of June 2003, when eminent judges of the European Capital of Culture shortlist chose Liverpool ahead of bookies favourites Newcastle/Gateshead.

Then there was anger, disbelief, sadness, shock among the north-east’s passionate fans. Now there is a “we told you so” satisfaction. Maybe it is no surprise that the two coastal cities, both inextricably linked to their famous rivers, went head-to-head for our Capital of the North accolade, ahead of their land-locked rivals Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham. They certainly ‘encouraged’ their supporters to vote.

All six have lots to celebrate. In Newcastle, the Gateshead Millennium bridge connects the Baltic centre for contemporary art and the Sage concert hall with Newcastle Quay and the lively city centre, where a £170 Eldon Square development is currently underway.

And Liverpool now plans to follow its Capital of Culture status by moving into the top four in the UK shopping league by 2010 with a £900million retail-led, city centre regeneration programme covering 42 acres, known as the Paradise Project.

From The Telegraph and probably a year or so old now but, no mention of Newcastle. Mind you, I suppose you could always say that they've already been there. :D

1. Edinburgh

2. Bath

3. Liverpool

4. Belfast

5. Glasgow

6. Oxford

7. London

8. Cardiff

9. York

10. Cambridge

Yeah I've always dreamed of going Bath and Cambridge before I die. Those visits would complete me. :lol: Talk about scraping the fucking barrel.

What a load of utter shite. The only possible reason you would go to Liverpool is to get a passport, football, or to get your photo taken beside the Penny Lane sign. That's being honest.

From the same paper....

Bath is the most beautiful city in the UK though tbf. Not said ironically either, it's just superb.

Ashamed to admit I've never even been to Edinburgh.

• 3 weeks later...

Police found her remains behind her bedroom door in the foul-smelling, rat-infested semi in Wallasey, Merseyside.

Wallasey is the Wirral and an utter shitehole

Edited by Idioteque

Can I be controversial? I've been to Liverpool quite a few times, and always liked it, even as an away fan.

Many thousands of people like going to defunct concentration camps in Poland too. Each to their own tbh.