Is Michael Owen an Agent of Evil?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
Yeah, in hindsight I know what you mean. I did have a soft spot for Martins but looking back he was just a quick player who could kick the ball hard and sometimes accurately. Obviously getting relegated again has Proberbly proved a bit too

When you think he was injured almost as much as Owen in a period in which Owen had two serious injuries and Martins didn't have any, it says a lot. I despise the pair of them tbh. I suppose at least Martins had the good grace to pretend he cared about the fans whilst the media savvy Owen could barely contain his disdain for us after 'lowering' himself to come here.

The ONLY reason he came was money, Fred was the only mug dumb enough to shell out 16mil and 130k p.w.

I said this previously, It's not a wise move to sign any player just on money, they need to want to come and play

I disagree like, he came because he wanted more regular football in the run up to the World Cup and because Liverpool wouldn't pay what Madrid wanted for a player who'd left for £6m (or whatever it was) a year before. Not saying the money wasn't a factor but he definitely wanted 1st team football.

I think Owen was happy to come here and play regularly. The obscene wage made it that bit easier as well. Just it went tits up big style. He started out ok tbf.

Yeah, in hindsight I know what you mean. I did have a soft spot for Martins but looking back he was just a quick player who could kick the ball hard and sometimes accurately. Obviously getting relegated again has Proberbly proved a bit too

When you think he was injured almost as much as Owen in a period in which Owen had two serious injuries and Martins didn't have any, it says a lot. I despise the pair of them tbh. I suppose at least Martins had the good grace to pretend he cared about the fans whilst the media savvy Owen could barely contain his disdain for us after 'lowering' himself to come here.

The ONLY reason he came was money, Fred was the only mug dumb enough to shell out 16mil and 130k p.w.

I said this previously, It's not a wise move to sign any player just on money, they need to want to come and play

I disagree like, he came because he wanted more regular football in the run up to the World Cup and because Liverpool wouldn't pay what Madrid wanted for a player who'd left for £6m (or whatever it was) a year before. Not saying the money wasn't a factor but he definitely wanted 1st team football.

Bit of both for me - I always felt that even given those two factors he was still reluctant to come.

I didn't like how much persuading he took - I know he was a "superstar" but I've always stood by the idea that we should give British players a couple of hours to decide whether they want to sign for us (in principle if necessary) and foreigners a couple of days at the most. Any longer always makes me feel as if they're starting off on the wrong track.

I didn't like how much persuading he took - I know he was a "superstar" but I've always stood by the idea that we should give British players a couple of hours to decide whether they want to sign for us (in principle if necessary) and foreigners a couple of days at the most. Any longer always makes me feel as if they're starting off on the wrong track.

I think it was clear that he was waiting for one of the 'big four' at the time to come up for him and only decided to join us when it was clear that none of the rest were interested.

Guest alex

Bit of both for me - I always felt that even given those two factors he was still reluctant to come.

Fair comment like. Wouldn't really argue with you there.

I think it was clear that he was waiting for one of the 'big four' at the time to come up for him and only decided to join us when it was clear that none of the rest were interested.

Liverpool were in for him but wouldn't pay anywhere near what we offered so he was waiting for them to change their mind and match us - It was a classic Shepherd tactic of bidding "too much" to give us a chance. Nowt wrong with that if it had all worked out but unfortunately it didn't.

See LM keeping stum on this, great business by Fred and co, this is precisely why Ashley is looking at up and coming players and not fucking has been,money grabbing,mercenaries like this cunt

give it a rest you arsehole. Wait until Ashley even matches the old boards league positions and european qualifications, never mind bettering them, before you start your misguided and ill- informed crowing.

You're just talking bollocks again, but don't derail another thread.

So do you consider Owen was good business??

listen sonny, if you are going to attack/defend/strategies, go the whole way and compare the results of the entire strategy. If you think Ashley's way is better than the way of the old board, put the proof up in terms of league positions, and european qualifications, but I'm telling you now, that selling your best players and buying cheaper replacements, will NEVER match the previous and is NOT good enough for a club like Newcastle United. You will NEVER post such proof, because it will NEVER happen.

If you think every other club never makes mistakes in the transfer market [which is what you appear to be insinuating, either that or the entire strategy was the wrong one] then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Micheal Owen, despite his injuries, age and the fact he was injured far too often when he was at Newcastle, is good enough for the Champions and European Cup Finalists, even just to sit on the bench. Would you prefer to see Peter Lovenkrands and Shola Ameobi in your team ?

You're a deluded, stupid dickhead, tbh, and stop derailing the thread by asking me stupid questions which are not related to the subject title, or mentioning the previous owners who also aren't either.

3 paragraphs for a simple yes/no answer, good going even by your standards. As for Shola/ Lovenkrands I would rather have any player who tries and wants to play rather than someone who goes through the motions and picks up his dosh

How is a question about Michael Owen in a Michael Owen thread off topic you fuckwitt??

you referred to me, and asked me a fucking stupid question. If you think the transfer policy of the old regime was inferior to the policy of the new, please show me the proof in league positions and european qualifications. Or I will give you a substantial list of successful transfers of the old regimes policy, starting with Alan Shearer.

Now fuck off. You're talking bollocks.

See LM keeping stum on this, great business by Fred and co, this is precisely why Ashley is looking at up and coming players and not fucking has been,money grabbing,mercenaries like this cunt

Is that also why Llambias claims they offered him £140k a week to sign a year's extension? That would've been a smart move. At least when Owen was signed he was still a top striker.

Strange one that, one minute they offer Owen 140k the next they will only pay peanuts

It was a while ago like, i.e. towards the end of the window just before KK walked. Presumably it was to stop him leaving for nothing. Just as fucking well he did in the end though. As an aside I would rather have Lovenkrands in my team and I think he's shite as well. And while I think Owen is a cunt he was about 100 times more professional than Martins.

haha.

alreet sparky :lol:

PS, pleased you now admit you're using hindsight to judge, which is the best management tool in the business :D

Leazes is often right about things in regards to the two regimes being discussed but it gets him nowhere as he really can't win. :lol:

I agree and theres no disputing about league positions/Europe but we will never know what the outcome would have been had the club not been sold. With the massive debts and unsustainable running costs. The other point is we wouldn't have been able to compete with the top of now which is something the blinkered old fucker refuses to see

remind me, is that why you wanted rid of the old regime at the time, did you know a bunch of Arabs were going to buy Man City 18 months or so later ? :D And also remind me, or explain, exactly how you also foresaw that NUFC should be run on the levels of the likes of Blackburn and Bolton ?

You're spouting shit mate. At the time, you wanted rid of them because you thought anybody else would come in and do better with the same revenues and fanbase, built up by the Halls and Shepherd, but ambition is a choice and you took it for granted. Hindsight. We would not have been relegated under the Halls and Shepherd for starters, and we would not be a selling club, and they would be backing their managers.

Just admit it, and stop whining on and denying it.

Fred never owned the club lad.

Tbf selling players and buying cheaper replacements happens at a lot of 'big' clubs. Its how Tottenham made it up there, selling Berba and Carrick. Arsenal do it almost every season. The trick is getting the timing right and finding the right replacements.

Not that im suggesting we'll necessarily reinvest the money to the extent or as wisely as those teams have though, its just thats its not a completely alien thing for a 'big' club to do.

FWIW its daft to point out the Owen transfer and hold it as unarguable evidence that the previous regime had the wrong ideas.

He'd just had a relatively succesful season at Madrid (albeit not as a first choice), was probably still England's best striker and it was impossible to predict just how many injuries he'd get and how badly they'd affect him.

His wages were a bit ridiculous like.

Fuck off with your sad,sad,sad shite you old cunt.

I seriously cant be fucking arsed to try and discuss anything with you, you are a fucking bore

'18 goals from 41 games, 15 of which were starts' from wikipedia on his time at real.

With those stats, 25yo, and all the bonus shirt sales etc he drew you can see why it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I seriously cant be fucking arsed to try and discuss anything with you, you are a fucking bore

so boring you couldn't resist mentioning me :lol: You're a know-nowt idiot son, there are plenty of facts I've posted for you to debate, what a pity you are unable to discuss anything without having to bring personality hatred into it. Where do you live ? West Sussex ? And you're trying to tell ME which transfer policy of the club is best between the old owners and the new, without even looking at the league tables to prove it ? Piss off.

You started it, to be fair.

Never fails to amuse me how wound up people can get on here about a strangers opinion. If you dont wanna talk to him ignore him, pretty simple.

Why does it matter so much? If Leazes turned around one day and declared his undyling love for Ashley what would you do? Implode with Happiness??

Never fails to amuse me how wound up people can get on here about a strangers opinion. If you dont wanna talk to him ignore him, pretty simple.

Why does it matter so much? If Leazes turned around one day and declared his undyling love for Ashley what would you do? Implode with Happiness??

Fuck off you utter knob!

:lol:

haha, now there's a thought :lol:

The thing is I don't think anyone objects to paying good wages to good players to attract them and going on from that attract others by association. Of course those wages have to be affordable in terms of squad numbers (ie if you have one Owen that doesn't mean you only pay peanuts for the whole defence) and of course in relation to overall finances.

I remember that for many years of the previous regime we did have a very healthy wage/turnover ration but towards the end it did get skewed into dodgy territory but that was probably just another symptom of the way football has gone in general.

The problem on the board now is that we can't discuss an individual issue without reference to LM's very black and white view. I can state that I think signing good players for high wages is fine as I just did but then say I think signing Owen was a mistake. That will be twisted into me saying I prefer Ashley's world view which is obviously not true.

What I'm trying to say to you LM is that your view that everything done previously was great and beyond reproach and everything done by Ashley has been wrong is too polarised which is why you can't accept that issues CAN be debated without reference to one universal view either way. As everything else in life it's shades of grey that rule which I hope you can realise which would improve contribution from all sides and views.

I hope you can respond to this sensibly.

The thing is I don't think anyone objects to paying good wages to good players to attract them and going on from that attract others by association. Of course those wages have to be affordable in terms of squad numbers (ie if you have one Owen that doesn't mean you only pay peanuts for the whole defence) and of course in relation to overall finances.

I remember that for many years of the previous regime we did have a very healthy wage/turnover ration but towards the end it did get skewed into dodgy territory but that was probably just another symptom of the way football has gone in general.

The problem on the board now is that we can't discuss an individual issue without reference to LM's very black and white view. I can state that I think signing good players for high wages is fine as I just did but then say I think signing Owen was a mistake. That will be twisted into me saying I prefer Ashley's world view which is obviously not true.

What I'm trying to say to you LM is that [b your view that everything done previously was great and beyond reproach and everything done by Ashley has been wrong is too polarised [/b] which is why you can't accept that issues CAN be debated without reference to one universal view either way. As everything else in life it's shades of grey that rule which I hope you can realise which would improve contribution from all sides and views.

usual rubbish. I've said ages ago they made mistakes. Its black and white with you tbh, you hate Shepherd, and thought we would do better with someone else, but we haven't, and it might take a while before we do.

It isn't worth replying to such a polarised, insular, incorrect view, and I'm not taking the piss.

We are not competing at the levels we should be, thats a fact, however you want to dress it up, we have become a selling club again, so stop making excuses.

What I'm trying to say to you LM is that [b your view that everything done previously was great and beyond reproach and everything done by Ashley has been wrong is too polarised [/b] which is why you can't accept that issues CAN be debated without reference to one universal view either way. As everything else in life it's shades of grey that rule which I hope you can realise which would improve contribution from all sides and views.

usual rubbish. I've said ages ago they made mistakes. Its black and white with you tbh, you hate Shepherd, and thought we would do better with someone else, but we haven't, and it might take a while before we do.

It isn't worth replying to such a polarised, insular, incorrect view, and I'm not taking the piss.

We are not competing at the levels we should be, thats a fact, however you want to dress it up, we have become a selling club again, so stop making excuses.

Polite request ignored - too much to ask - you are a complete and utter waste of time as a contributor to this any other forum..