LA Noire

trophyshy

It's 35 quid in ASDA. Had it in my hands but there was a queue in the media section so put it back.

Might pick it up on the way home.

Had a quick play on it and did what I assume is the tutorial mode. The voice acting/face animation is scarily good. Graphically it looks a bit like Mafia 2, which wasn't a bad thing. The clue finding seems to be pretty straight forward. You have audio and vibration indicators. But my initial impression of the questioning looks like it's going to to be very, very difficult. You have 3 options for each answer to a question. During the tutorial if you got it wrong you had to re-start the questioning again. But from what little I saw on the main part if you fuck up that's it, no re-do's and it can make the case very difficult.

On rails, not much happening, looks lovely, too straight laced as a cop, can't cut loose and fuck shit up, can't get out the city, cars are slow, women are prissy, can't draw your gun unless it says so, very little action, pointless sandbox as there's nothing to do.

not impressed.

On rails

- No it isn't. It's linear to an extent, like most single player games you play. Lightgun games are on rails.

not much happening

- How much of it have you actually played? More does the further you get into it. Either way, you're a detective, not a criminal. Not going to be lots happening as such.

too straight laced as a cop

- How does that make it a bad game?

can't cut loose and fuck shit up

- Yes you can to a certain extent. You even get penalties for it. You're on the side of the police so no it's not going to encourage you to do bad things.

can't get out the city

- Yes you can. You don't have to go straight to your next location. There's a special free roam mode that can be unlocked too.

cars are slow

- :D It's set in the 1940s.

women are prissy

- See above.

can't draw your gun unless it says so

- Why would you want to randomly draw your gun? This isn't GTA.

very little action

- Again, not sure how much you've played. There's a reasonable amount but you're a detective. Interrogation and evidence collecting are two of the biggest elements of the game and it's never shied away from this fact.

pointless sandbox as there's nothing to do.

- There are side assignments/cases, landmarks to visit, collectibles to collect, newspaper videos to view. Plenty.

Just sayin'...

Sounds boring as owt. Tecato your post which challenges trophyshys post doesn't do the game much justice. Looked good on TV, however after reading into it... boring.

My post doesn't do the game justice? So you think it's better than what I might have made out?

Fuck it, I'll bite, I'm bored enough to.

No doubt you saw the advert, read someone's post on Toontastic after reading the IGN review and decided to deem it "boring" because you can't kill prostitutes or shoot RPGs at cars. Or because it's not CoD.

It's a detective game. It's been a detective game for about 6-7 years now. Detectives go to the crime scenes, look for clues, interview witnesses and interrogate people. You're a bit special if you thought it'd be non-stop shooting and the like.

Bearing in mind the game takes themes and influences from the film noire genre, I'm not sure how those characters are relative to the argument. I'm no apologist (my copy is up on ebay, if I make my money back I'll be happy. If it doesn't sell I'll plod on with it). But if people expect "GTA 1947" they are going to be disappointed, but as far as I remember it was never marketed as that.

Enjoying it.

The voice acting and the facial mapping is fucking amazing so far ahead of everything else that's it's a different game altogether.

It's not prefect but the only way you could be disappointed is if you went in expecting something completely different. There's loads of reviews and what-not out there so if that's the case you've got no excuse IMO.

The clue finding/observing is shite. (twinkle/vibrate to get you to look at another fucking hairbrush only for him to say 'this is inconsequential' - well why did you make me pick it up then, cunt?)

the people reading is a lottery and I don't care enough to interview them once you feel it is a lottery. They're all lying scum for all I care.

It's just quite dull a lot of the time and I can't recall a sandbox game more on rails than this, it's a railbox game.

I'm clearly in the minority so I hope you all enjoy it. You boring, boring bastards. :lol: