Newcastle United Vs. West Bromwich Albion

loonyTOON

This is more of a compliment, WBA are a poor man's Arsenal. I admire their front office's football playing philosophy. It has cost them , in the form of relegation, yes - but to their credit, they've stuck to their guns as opposed to travelling down the Stoke or Allardyce Routes ie. awkward to play against/ survival based football based around a no-thrills & no-risk team mindset which ultimately kills any promising talent as produced by their respective academys. There's not alot of blue chip individual brilliance in their line-up but with time & space on the ball they are very capable of turning us over as a unit ala Bolton, if some players treat this game more like a farewell tour and fail to press accordingly.

Edited by Year Zero

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thee time for reflection on the season is definitely after and not before this 90 minutes is up.

Just based on the financial implications (partly because of the very congested nature of the table) there's a lot riding on this - significantly more than winning the Europa league final.

We didn't get the measure of West Brom in the Championship and they turned us over easily earlier in the season. Based on these results there's no reason why they couldn't do it again and so going into this match with anything but full focus would be foolish.

Thee time for reflection on the season is definitely after and not before this 90 minutes is up.

Just based on the financial implications (partly because of the very congested nature of the table) there's a lot riding on this - significantly more than winning the Europa league final.

We didn't get the measure of West Brom in the Championship and they turned us over easily earlier in the season. Based on these results there's no reason why they couldn't do it again and so going into this match with anything but full focus would be foolish.

Probably wasn't the best choice of wording on my part ie. players treating the game as a farewell tour. But i think there will be a couple of key players [or more] will most likely not put in the extra effort needed to close down that extra yard or so, to put their limb s on the line in a physical 50/50 contested situation. For some, whose futures potentially lie elsewhere based on form over the season & the club's time leap back towards it's feeder club days, Sunday will be more about physical self preservation. I think you overplay the potential financial rewards gained from a 3 point result, and as to whether the players will collectively bust their gut for it. There must be more than a hint of skepticism amongst senior players as to whether the football department will bear any rewards from a 5m windfall . The financial factor, as you infer, will barely register with this lot - a playing group which has been effectively sold down the river during consecutive EPL January transfer windows.

You're no doubt right, but I'm sure Ashley will have been in Pardew's ear about it and it's up to him to motivate the players. There is possibly some honour in finishing in the top half of the table though, and nothing less than a win would realistically afford us that.

Guest alex
800k a place isnt it? So potentially 4.8m riding on the result.

With that in mind, it seems daft not to risk Tiote.

But 3 matches next season that he could help us get points to again stay in the division would be better I think.

But 3 matches next season that he could help us get points to again stay in the division would be better I think.

Just tell him not to get booked and problem solved.

Guest alex

Assuming he's still here :rolleyes:

Coming down for the first time this season with a couple of mates, any advice on the best places to head on a Sunday (pre and post match)?

Pre-drinks at the Strawberry (the traditional toon bar) not Shearer's.

Edited by WordPlay

Alan Pardew is ready to give youth its chance again this weekend as Newcastle bid to finish their Premier League season with a victory.

West Bromwich Albion are the visitors to St. James' Park on Sunday for a final-day fixture which will have no impact on either end of the table.

But Magpies boss Pardew insists it is far from meaningless and, having given youngsters Sammy Ameobi and Kazenga LuaLua minutes off the bench at Chelsea last time out, is keen to aid their development even further.

"It will be a difficult game because they are in form, but if we beat them we go above them and that will be significant. We want to get the highest finish we can," Pardew told nufc.co.uk about the clash with the Baggies.

"I expect West Brom to have one or two changes as Roy Hodgson looks at one or two of his squad players, but we are running out of bodies and any changes from me will be forced.

"Kazenga and Sammy both got on the pitch at Chelsea, we may see a different body featuring this weekend, and it is in my mind to see them. I could have put Alan Smith on against Chelsea, but I know what he does, so this gives me another opportunity to see them and I will probably do the same again.

"The starting line-up may not be too unfamiliar, but coming off the bench might be and the same will probably apply for West Brom. It's important we win the game and these young players understand drawing and losing is not what we are paid for."

As well as naming young players among his substitutes in recent weeks, Pardew has also allowed bright talents such as midfielders Greg McDermott and Michael Richardson to join in the pre-match warm-up.

And the boss explained his thinking behind that decision, saying: "It's two-fold really. One, you want them to understand how difficult it is to play at this level, and therefore they have to work hard to get that opportunity.

"And then secondly, when we embrace them and bring them in to the first team that they feel a part of it.

"Most of the young players here have good discipline, we've got Willie Donachie and Peter Beardsley looking after that group, so coming to me is not too difficult, but the step up in ability is.

"Fortunately at Chelsea we had Sammy and Kazenga come on and they would have left the pitch with smiles on their faces, because they both contributed to a good result. That bodes well for those guys for this weekend and next season."

Putting aside what people on here think of him, It appears the senior players speak well of him and I can only imagine the young'uns love him, particularly if he's doing this sort of thing.

Putting aside what people on here think of him, It appears the senior players speak well of him and I can only imagine the young'uns lasses have been violated by him.

fyp

Going for a score draw. Hopefully we'll see a couple of the young'uns get a run out.

:D

P.s. and lets face it, if we finish higher then we get more transfer budget (alledgedly)

im going for hum er 4-1 nolan taylor lovenkrands and ameobi

Nolan will dee canny to score mind

He's as likely as Lovenkrands like :D

Just managed to get a couple of tickets for this one so really looking forward to tomorrow now.

Will try and finish about 4ish tonight / tomorrow, a few winks and then up and out on the drink for about 12.

Paused writing this to bring a positive weather forecast for a sunny afternoon on the drink and found this.....

Sunny intervals and showers, with the showers most frequent in the afternoon, often heavy and perhaps thundery. Windy, with strong gusts reaching gale force in places, especially over high ground. Maximum temperature 14 °C.

Never mind. :D

Alan Pardew is ready to give youth its chance again this weekend as Newcastle bid to finish their Premier League season with a victory.

West Bromwich Albion are the visitors to St. James' Park on Sunday for a final-day fixture which will have no impact on either end of the table.

But Magpies boss Pardew insists it is far from meaningless and, having given youngsters Sammy Ameobi and Kazenga LuaLua minutes off the bench at Chelsea last time out, is keen to aid their development even further.

"It will be a difficult game because they are in form, but if we beat them we go above them and that will be significant. We want to get the highest finish we can," Pardew told nufc.co.uk about the clash with the Baggies.

"I expect West Brom to have one or two changes as Roy Hodgson looks at one or two of his squad players, but we are running out of bodies and any changes from me will be forced.

"Kazenga and Sammy both got on the pitch at Chelsea, we may see a different body featuring this weekend, and it is in my mind to see them. I could have put Alan Smith on against Chelsea, but I know what he does, so this gives me another opportunity to see them and I will probably do the same again.

"The starting line-up may not be too unfamiliar, but coming off the bench might be and the same will probably apply for West Brom. It's important we win the game and these young players understand drawing and losing is not what we are paid for."

As well as naming young players among his substitutes in recent weeks, Pardew has also allowed bright talents such as midfielders Greg McDermott and Michael Richardson to join in the pre-match warm-up.

And the boss explained his thinking behind that decision, saying: "It's two-fold really. One, you want them to understand how difficult it is to play at this level, and therefore they have to work hard to get that opportunity.

"And then secondly, when we embrace them and bring them in to the first team that they feel a part of it.

"Most of the young players here have good discipline, we've got Willie Donachie and Peter Beardsley looking after that group, so coming to me is not too difficult, but the step up in ability is.

"Fortunately at Chelsea we had Sammy and Kazenga come on and they would have left the pitch with smiles on their faces, because they both contributed to a good result. That bodes well for those guys for this weekend and next season."

Putting aside what people on here think of him, It appears the senior players speak well of him and I can only imagine the young'uns love him, particularly if he's doing this sort of thing.

Is it not just a case of the young players being played from need, rather than Parsnip being a brilliant manager ??

Not playing Alan Smith is interesting. Fear of him getting injured and not being able to get rid of him this close season, perhaps? Maybe I'm just getting 5 from 2 + 2.

I was referring more to the lads who were not in the squad been given a "taste" of the big time by taking part in the pre match stuff. I'm sure the two lads felt on top of the world.

While I agree it doesn't make Pards world class, Im sure it breeds a lot of excitement for the younger lads.

Having seen the weather forecast for tomorrow, anyone know if an English match has ever been held up or postponed because of lightning?