Babies to be given anti-obesity drugs in womb..

Park Life

Babies given anti-obesity drugs in the womb

7:00AM BST 11 May 2011

One hundred obese mums-to-be will be given Metformin as part of a three-year study to tackle obesity rates and reduce the number of difficult births.

Patients at Liverpool Women's Hospital will be given the drug to reduce the food supply to their unborn babies, although it will not help the mums themselves to lose weight.

Leading the trial, senior lecturer in obstetrics, Dr Andrew Weeks, said: "It is about trying to improve outcomes in pregnancy for women who are overweight.

"The problem is babies tend to be larger and many of the downsides of being overweight during pregnancy relate to the birth."

Metformin reduces blood sugar levels which are passed onto babies in the womb, and is already regularly used to treat diabetic mums-to-be, as well as diabetics in general.

During the study, half of the patients will take Metformin pills up to three times a day from 12 weeks gestation, while the other half will be given placebo drugs.

Doctors hope it will prevent the birth of oversized babies, thereby reducing the need for caesarean sections.

Instances of pre-eclampsia, the potentially fatal complication in pregnancy common to overweight mothers, are also hoped to be reduced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...n-the-womb.html

Seems a bit overkill to me like.

Refresh my memory, Parky.

Where did you get your medical training again?

"Patients at Liverpool Women's Hospital will be given the drug to reduce the food supply to their unborn babies"

You're alright with that are you?

"Patients at Liverpool Women's Hospital will be given the drug to reduce the food supply to their unborn babies"

Without having looked at the study myself, the IRB must have approved it so, yes, I'll defer to their judgement of the scientific rationale and potential clinical benefit.

Without having looked at the study myself, the IRB must have approved it so, yes, I'll defer to their judgement of the scientific rationale and potential clinical benefit.

Has Chez hacked your account? :lol:

So, sniffer is happy with babies in the womb having their food consumption tampered with. [/braveNewWorld]

I don't get this. They say that overwight babies are more likely to become overweight adults, so they will use metformin to help prevent this. Have they considered it might not even be a causal relationship? Is it not possible that babies born into fat families simply learn their eating behaviour from their fat parents? If this is the case this treatment will be a complete waste of time and put the babies to unecessary risk (albeit a neglible risk).

I don't get this. They say that overwight babies are more likely to become overweight adults, so they will use metformin to help prevent this. Have they considered it might not even be a causal relationship? Is it not possible that babies born into fat families simply learn their eating behaviour from their fat parents? If this is the case this treatment will be a complete waste of time and put the babies to unecessary risk (albeit a neglible risk).

Good post.

I always thought a lot of it was learn't behaviour and lifestyle.

Seriously man, tell these fucking elephants that they're harming their unborn baby by eating like a pig. Get them to take responsibility early doors because if they're that irresponsible that they're prepared to take anti-obesity drugs to avoid giving birth to a fucking human donut, there's little hope for the kids anyway.

Has Chez hacked your account? :lol:

So, sniffer is happy with babies in the womb having their food consumption tampered with. [/braveNewWorld]

What, you mean the french bloke? I don't think he has but you can never trust a frog, we all know that.

If you read a bit deeper instead of going with the sensational headlines, you'll see that the issue is maybe that the fetus is programmed to be obese because of exposure to excessive sugar because of the mother's insulin levels. Thats what they are attempting to address with metformin. Seems a reasonable theory and one worth evaluating.

Bit more complex that just eating fish and chips and a large pizza a day although that doesn't help.

Keep searching the headlines, Parky. This one is done.

Seriously man, tell these fucking elephants that they're harming their unborn baby by eating like a pig. Get them to take responsibility early doors because if they're that irresponsible that they're prepared to take anti-obesity drugs to avoid giving birth to a fucking human donut, there's little hope for the kids anyway.

Spoken like a fellow fatist.

:lol:

Has Chez hacked your account? :D

What, you mean the french bloke? I don't think he has but you can never trust a frog, we all know that.

If you read a bit deeper instead of going with the sensational headlines, you'll see that the issue is maybe that the fetus is programmed to be obese because of exposure to excessive sugar because of the mother's insulin levels. Thats what they are attempting to address with metformin. Seems a reasonable theory and one worth evaluating.

Bit more complex that just eating fish and chips and a large pizza a day although that doesn't help.

Keep searching the headlines, Parky. This one is done.

Yeah but the insulin level sensitivity would be due to the mothes body producing more insulin cause she's eating like a hog non? :lol:

I'm in no Doctor ( or ninjutsu master :lol: ) but is this not treating the symptom instead of the cause.

In layman's terms " Eat less , fat bint"

Edited by Monkeys Fist

That the mother is a fat fuck insensitive to insulin is probably the cause of the problem, yes, but that is not the issue they are addressing in this study. Trying to protect the baby is the focus.

That the mother is a fat fuck insensitive to insulin is probably the cause of the problem, yes, but that is not the issue they are addressing in this study. Trying to protect the baby is the focus.

Thanks for clearing that up. :lol:

Whip em out of the lardy heifers sharpish, then grow them in lo-fat baby soup, Matrix stylee.

matrix04.jpg

I think the main point of it is to reduce the number of difficult births rather than using it to stop the litle ones growing up to be chubby funsters.

'Dr Andrew Weeks, said: "It is about trying to improve outcomes in pregnancy for women who are overweight.'

As for it being overkill, difficult births can be damaging for both parties. If it was something that reduced the chances of your baby being born with an illness that it was particularly susceptible you'd gladly accept. Same principle.

It won't be made available if it isn't (99.999999%) safe.

I think the main point of it is to reduce the number of difficult births rather than using it to stop the litle ones growing up to be chubby funsters.

'Dr Andrew Weeks, said: "It is about trying to improve outcomes in pregnancy for women who are overweight.'

As for it being overkill, difficult births can be damaging for both parties. If it was something that reduced the chances of your baby being born with an illness that it was particularly susceptible you'd gladly accept. Same principle.

It won't be made available if it isn't (99.999999%) safe.

http://www.drugrecalls.com/

On January 14, 2011, the FDA issued a warning after reports that two female patients suffered acute liver failure following their use of Multaq. Doctors were able to connect their liver damage with Multaq, and also found a great deal of cellular death in the liver.

The FDA is recommending that patients contact their healthcare professional immediately if they experience signs and symptoms of hepatic injury or toxicity (anorexia, nausea, vomiting, fever, malaise, fatigue, right upper quadrant pain, jaundice, dark urine, or itching) while taking Multaq. In addition, physicians should consider obtaining periodic hepatic serum enzymes, especially during the first 6 months of treatment.

Bisphosphonates, such as Actonel, Boniva, and Fosamax (a drug already linked to severe musculoskeletal pain and osteonecrosis – a serious bone-related jaw disease), are a widely prescribed class of drugs used to slow bone loss and prevent fractures associated with osteoporosis. In 2010 alone, an estimated 36.5 million prescriptions were dispensed for these drugs. Unfortunately, new research shows that instead of preventing fractures, use of these drugs may actually increase the risk of severe fractures in the femur.

The makers of Propofol have been ordered to pay over $500 million in fines and damages. It is alleged that the companies made the vials larger than necessary to eliminate costs and increase profit. Approximately 100 patients were infected, and 20,000 patients were notified about their possible exposure. In addition 73 lots of Propofol and 85 lots of Liposyn that were distributed between July 2009 and October 2009 were recalled by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) due to contamination by particulates which could impede blood flow, causing stroke, kidney failure, and heart attack.

According to WebMD, in a controlled study, among the 2,762 psoriasis patients who received Raptiva at any dose, 31 patients were diagnosed with 37 malignancies. The overall incidence of malignancies of any kind was 1.8 per 100 patient-years for Raptiva-treated patients compared with 1.6 per 100 patient-years for placebo-treated patients. Malignancies observed in the Raptiva-treated patients included non-melanoma skin cancer, non-cutaneous solid tumors, Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and malignant melanoma."

There's another 50 more but perhaps spare the bandwith...Just saying there is no such thing as a 99.9% safe drug.

NB MOST LICESNSED DRUGS ARE SAFE AND A LOT OF CARE GOES INTO THEIR PRODUCTION.

Edited by Park Life