Mods - time for a totting points system for serial idiots

Rob W

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id rather chew my own arm off than go to a def leppard gig. Soz TR but that sort of music makes me nauseous.

In fact I have a problem with heavy metal from the 80s onwards.

Define "heavy metal from the 80s onwards" please Chez?

Music falling into the category 'heavy metal' from the around 1980 onwards :lol:

The timing bit is not specific, just a vague reference to the decade and bands that were formed during or after. 70s heavy rock bands are therefore excluded from the generalisation. There might be an odd exception you could point me towards but certainly nothing well known/popular that i heard ever did anything for me other than desperate boredom.

See I'm no fan of metal by any means but Soundgarden were a metal band; Ministry, NiN, etc were often regarded as metal; the whole grindcore genre including Cathedral, Carcass, etc were classified as metal.

It's not as if we're talking Warrant, Def Lepoard, Aerosmith, etc, who without a doubt were all shite but were they really metal?

Bon Jovi, G'n'R were they metal?

Where does heavy rock or glam (cock) rock finish and metal begin?

Why does it have to be analysed ??? Some of it just sounds good !!

Any discussion of gash 80s metal is incomplete with Barnsley's finest.

saxon_flyer_07.jpg

Saxon were OK, they were nee Magnum mind

Whilst I would also rather chew Chez's arm off than go to a Def Leppard gig, I'd rather go to a Def Leppard gig than a Saxon one. :lol:

Id rather chew my own arm off than go to a def leppard gig. Soz TR but that sort of music makes me nauseous.

Music falling into the category 'heavy metal' from the around 1980 onwards :lol:

The timing bit is not specific, just a vague reference to the decade and bands that were formed during or after. 70s heavy rock bands are therefore excluded from the generalisation. There might be an odd exception you could point me towards but certainly nothing well known/popular that i heard ever did anything for me other than desperate boredom.

See I'm no fan of metal by any means but Soundgarden were a metal band; Ministry, NiN, etc were often regarded as metal; the whole grindcore genre including Cathedral, Carcass, etc were classified as metal.

It's not as if we're talking Warrant, Def Lepoard, Aerosmith, etc, who without a doubt were all shite but were they really metal?

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! hold on a minute, while i may agree that some of the stuff they came out with in the 80's was crap, Aerosmith of the 70's was fucking fantastic, Sweet Emotion is my all time fave "classic rock" song which is what most people would say Aerosmith is, a rock band (the classic prefix is just a chronological place holder)

Oh dear what have I started?! :lol: Sorry Rob W!

Glam rock ended when the make up. high heels and glitter went. (Actually I love Slade and Sweet, they did some great songs)

I know I don't have to defend myself for loving The Leps because what you folk on here think of my musical taste matters not one jot..... BUT you've all stepped into the usual cliches.....oh Leppard are/were just an Arena rock, bubblegum band. And at times with several songs maybe they were! But they were hailed in the late 70's, early 80's as the 'New wave of British Metal' along with Iron Maiden and the like. Their early sound was very similar to that of AC/DC except they could all actually sing harmonies too! They actually toured with AC/DC back then I believe. Leppard never called or thought of themselves as 'metal' either but more a soft rock band. However they were imo one of the first proper old school metal bands. The following vids prove it!!! So forgot pour some sugar and Lets get rocked and do your research properly and listen to some great songs the Leps have written and performed over the years! You dont sell over 65 million albums if you're shit.

'Def Leppard has sold over 60 million records, they have been awarded two diamonds awards ( for sales over 10 million) and are one of only five acts to reach this feat for 1983's Pyromania and 1987's Hysteria.

Early Leps, just think what you've all been missing :razz:

And one of my very faves, give it a go. It is probably the side of the Leps you have never heard!

ok TR, we get the picture. I like this, from Pyromania and the whole of Hysteria.

In your humble opinion, whats the best early CD/album, is there anything to match Hysteria ?

Edit

in fact, that video reminds me of Kelly Bundy here, does anybody know who this group is. Just curious

Edited by LeazesMag

Good choice LM :lol:

Personally Hysteria is not my favourite album by a long shot. Maybe I'm alittle fed up of those particular songs. They're very layered and commercial sounding, the Mutt Lange influence of course. Similar to Queen in a way too. I did see them on their Hysteria tour mind and they were great live, plus it was good to see them with Steve Clark (he's been dead 20 years now :razz: )

Best albums for me are their first 3, On through the night (They were in their teens then) High and Dry and Pyromania.

Worst album without doubt is X (except for the track 'Now' which I have an acoustic version of which is awesome, love the video for that track too)

I actually liked some of the songs on the highly criticised Slang album, including these two tracks, wack it up!!

Ever heard switch 625?

Another great track, you've gotta put this one on your Ipod/Mp3 player

I WILL convert you ALL :D:lol:

Edited by Toonraider

I quite like Nickelback :razz:

Agree, absolutely nowt wrong with them.

You're american, you're allowed to have fucking terrible taste...

Nope, am Brit through and through, would love to retire stateside when then time comes mind.

Bet you think the The Smiths were good, or maybe, given your choice of companions, you're more of an Erasure "man" :lol:

Well fuck off then. You're right about The Smiths being pish though imo, top yourself music. Bet Tecato loves them.

:lol:

Fuck right off man. And stop with the negative nonsense, I was just telling people not to take anything for granted when it comes to NUFC. Besides, now we're safe I'm as cautiously optimistic as they come.

And no, I'm not a fan. Nickelback would be better if I wanted music to make me feel suicidal.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! hold on a minute, while i may agree that some of the stuff they came out with in the 80's was crap, Aerosmith of the 70's was fucking fantastic, Sweet Emotion is my all time fave "classic rock" song which is what most people would say Aerosmith is, a rock band (the classic prefix is just a chronological place holder)

Aerosmith are definitely a rock band. I've seen them and they are just fantastic live. Stephen Tyler has a great rock voice.

LM-The band in that Married with children episode are called the Guttercats. (so I read)

And the shot of Kelly hand cuffed to the fence is very much like Def Leppard's Foolin video. Which I admit was a naff song with a very cheesey video to go with it :lol:

Here's my views on metal/rock since (and including) the 1980's:

Crap: Nickelback, Creed and all the really earnest fake rock your mum would like, Linkin Park, Papa Roach and those nu-metal tossers who whinge that the world is crap and their parents don't understand them, and that dodgy hair metal like Motley Crue that plagued the 80's. And Bon Jovi, who are just plain shit.

Good: Metallica 1983-95, Sepultura and a fair few of the thrash metal bands, Faith No More, NiN, Rammstein.

Guest alex
Faith No More are fucking brilliant.

Never been interested...but this looks a canny deal....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004OFW...g=hotukdeals-21

I think they went a bit naff post-Angel Dust / Jim Martin leaving like. The Introduce Yourself album (not in the set) is class as well, even with Chuck Moseley's nasally vocals. You could probably pick up Introduce Yourself, The Real Thing and Angel Dust for next to nowt these days. The Live album in the box set is canny but not really 'essential'.

Here's my views on metal/rock since (and including) the 1980's:

Crap: Nickelback, Creed and all the really earnest fake rock your mum would like, Linkin Park, Papa Roach and those nu-metal tossers who whinge that the world is crap and their parents don't understand them, and that dodgy hair metal like Motley Crue that plagued the 80's. And Bon Jovi, who are just plain shit.

Good: Metallica 1983-95, Sepultura and a fair few of the thrash metal bands, Faith No More, NiN, Rammstein.

Agree with all that except the hair metal bit. Crue when they started were fuckin awesome!

Pantera, Megadeth, Exodus, Queensryche, Overkill, Ozzy, Testament. Loads and loads of fantastic metal in the 80's (inc. Def Leppard)